Weekend Photo Fun 9-5/9-8

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Very impressive work, Paul. The depth of field is fantastic. How many picture did you have to take total to get his one out of Photoshop?

I used 5 but 7 would have worked better or maybe focusing in slightly different places in the frame.


Steve, are there steam runs nearly every weekend? Are they regular trains or specials? Here in Portland, OR we have the SPS 700 and the SP 4449 but they only come out a couple times a year and often only along one of the small spurs. I always thought back and forth 2 miles at 10mph is sort of an insult to them. Union Pacific won't let them on their main lines, only UP steam on UP track. BNSF is much more hospitable. Fortunately there are several other small steam operations within a couple hours drive.
 
Gramps, LOL, I'm glad to see that you've got safety uppermost on your mind. :)

Jeffrey, is that the boxcar you weathered with alcohol washes? It has an interesting corroded look along the bottom sill.

Steve, the Royal Scotsman! One of the romantic name trains like the 20th Century Limited or the Super Chief. Too bad we don't have either of those left still being pulled by steam power. :( Nice shot on a gloomy day.

Paul, that's an undertaking I certainly don't have the photographic or software skills to do but the picture sure looks sweet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I was going to post a pic of my progress so far (nearly completed track laying), but after seeing these works of art I think I'll spare you all the mess. ;)
 
Jim, yes, the grade is very steep at the entrance to the back shop. In the photo below, you can see what I had to contend with to get a decent approach to the area. It is in the low ground, near the close edge of the far module, branching off the curve to the right of the diagonal reversing loop bridge that crosses the operating pit.

IMG_0166resized.JPG
 
Crandell, that is quite a little grade headed down there. Have you thought of building a larger foundation under the backshop to bring it a little more in line with the grade? BTW, I love all the different levels and open space you have. I like layouts where I have to look for the tracks instead of look for the scenery. :)
 
A week ago or so I looked into Smoke units and a "cheap" steam sound decoder (under £40)After some thought I took the plunge. The plan was to add smoke and sound to my black crab but after an hour of trying to fit the decoder and smoke unit in the boiler space (the speaker is in the tender) I admitted defeat and left the smoke unit out. Not wanting to whaste it I fitted it to my smaller 6671 loco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbCHBeAduEQ

To the trained ear I guess its not the right sound for a crab but to my unknowledgeable ears it makes a steam loco sought of noise !!!

John
RJR

John
RJR
 
Jim, in the WPF image, note the gray stone foundation? The Walthers structure doesn't come with that foundation. I cut strips of packaging Styrofoam, the beaded kind, and painted it up after gluing it to the sill of the structure. The beading makes is look like stonework. So, I have already raised the building by almost an inch, and even then the stack on my new 200 ton wrecker (thanks, again, Jerome) barely squeaks under the top of the door. :eek: If I raise the entire building onto a berm of some kind, it would look odd in situ.

-Crandell
 
Crandell, those cranes can be a real pain to fit into buildings. That's why I used that Allied Rail Builders building. It had a very tall main door.
 


Well Guys, I finally fixed the beacon in my ATSF GP40X to make it flash. I'll post video of it on Tuesday after I reprogram it to flash at all time, currently it only flashes when the headlight is off, and is in forward. Some tweaks and that will be solved.
 
It's been a while here...so here's what's new...








(can anyone hear the crickets?)

Other than the fact that I have done nothing, fellow group member Jerome has been painting 8 of my engines that were sitting here.

Included in the list are:

2 High Hood B23-7s (to be painted in the Desert Twins paint scheme)
1 SW1500 (WCTR traditional red cab, black body)
1 S12 (ditto above)
1 SW7B (The "whiteoverstripe" scheme that Jerome invented)
1 GP60M (A&P MOW (should look awesome when done!)
1 SD20 (Fake number, ex-IC, NREX 2039)
1 SD35 (WCTR traditional Red cab)

Pictures can be found at my photo gallery...

wctruboat.photoshop.com

I recommend anyone looking into this service. It's been really nice so far.

Phil
 
Last edited by a moderator:
John those smoke units go well in a diesel as well, try a Loksound decoder, they are coming down in price all the time, then put your own sound files on, i'm pretty sure there is one for a crab available, getting the timing right is the difficult bit, you should get four chuffs per complete revolution of the wheels, the whistle sound is pretty close, it's quite a high pitch on the crabs

Paul There were two steam trains running yesterday but the weather was bad so only went out for one, check this out, Timetable for all UK steam trains
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They were never installed. But that's not the difference I want you to find. You chop-cut-rebuild guys should have nailed it in seconds.
 
You have numberboards on the rear of a locomotive that would have never had them, bent hand rails, missing brake cylinders, missing sunshades? Any of those it? :p
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top