Week(end) photofun 8/9/10... February

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thanks guys for the comments on my steam shovel photo! I recently got a really good deal on a Tamron 11-18mm lens for my Canon 400D, and have been taking a lot of photos using mostly this lens. As some of you may know, in the past I've done a lot of photography with film cameras using a 28mm Vivitar lens that I modified with a pinhole aperture. It allowed me to get super close to the models for a very realistic look.

Well this lens does fit on my digital camera, but does not produce the same result. The sensors on Canon digitals are only 60% the size of a 35mm film frame, meaning you only get the center 60% of what a normal lens sees. That results in my 28mm lens being about a 56mm lens, a very mild telephoto instead of a wide angle. Wide angle lenses give better depth of focus, so the pinhole lens doesn't do much on the digital camera.

Now the new 11-18mm lens at its widest is equal to a 17mm lens on a film camera, its an extreme wide angle, which gives great depth of focus. While its closest focusing distance is 9 inches, by using its smallest aperture of f/22, the zone of focus will be closer than the 9 inches.

Here's how the steam shovel photos were taken, on a styrofoam diorama base sitting on a small table I made for photography. Since the lens takes in so much, I'm using the wall that I painted dark blue and added clouds.

Bucyrushowto.png


Lotsa fun!
 


I got my service station put in yesterday. This is an old chalk weathered structure. There's still more to be done on it.

IMAGE11.jpg


IMAGE1.jpg


IMAGE15.jpg


Here's a few night shots I took of it early this morning.

IMAGE14.jpg


IMAGE13.jpg


IMAGE12.jpg
 
Thanks guys for the comments on my steam shovel photo! I recently got a really good deal on a Tamron 11-18mm lens for my Canon 400D, and have been taking a lot of photos using mostly this lens. As some of you may know, in the past I've done a lot of photography with film cameras using a 28mm Vivitar lens that I modified with a pinhole aperture. It allowed me to get super close to the models for a very realistic look.

Well this lens does fit on my digital camera, but does not produce the same result. The sensors on Canon digitals are only 60% the size of a 35mm film frame, meaning you only get the center 60% of what a normal lens sees. That results in my 28mm lens being about a 56mm lens, a very mild telephoto instead of a wide angle. Wide angle lenses give better depth of focus, so the pinhole lens doesn't do much on the digital camera.

Now the new 11-18mm lens at its widest is equal to a 17mm lens on a film camera, its an extreme wide angle, which gives great depth of focus. While its closest focusing distance is 9 inches, by using its smallest aperture of f/22, the zone of focus will be closer than the 9 inches.

Here's how the steam shovel photos were taken, on a styrofoam diorama base sitting on a small table I made for photography. Since the lens takes in so much, I'm using the wall that I painted dark blue and added clouds.

Bucyrushowto.png


Lotsa fun!


how exactly does a pinhole thing work? I've never understood it when i do see it beeing used. Could you PM me on a quicky explination?
 
Here's some night shots for you.

235.jpg

Hello, is anyone there? I need some gas!

238.jpg

We've all heard about the cop hiding behind the billboard. Could this be the home of a cop who lives behind a billboard?

237.jpg


236.jpg
 
I stripped my old RS-3 and repainted it. It's awaiting some decals and a little weathering.
IMAG0006-2.jpg


Here's a couple of shots to give you an idea what my layout looks like at night.
P1010004-27.jpg


P1010003-33.jpg
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top