ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
So I've more or less finished with the reefer, gone a little mad with this one, and decided to go with an old, more dusty weather beaten, neglected look, not sure if this works tho' what do you think ?
Love the weathering to the models. Excellent work being produced.
Going back in time (way back in time). Just before I left school I wrote to Leeds Headquarters of British Railways for information about working on British Railways. I received a booklet about the jobs new recruits would be doing.
First job of the day - Cleaning of locomotives and rolling stock.
Seeing some of the rolling stock later, the people did not do a good job.
Sister gave me a program over the weekend which allows me to make decals from nearly any image, and as I had two unpainted 20' containers decided to paint, weather and decal them today. And yes, not very straight I admit, but it's not easy adding decals to a ribbed box
Going to try and make decals for the Intermodel car before I weather it.
Realised that Blue may not have been the best choice of colour.
So I've more or less finished with the reefer, gone a little mad with this one, and decided to go with an old, more dusty weather beaten, neglected look, not sure if this works tho' what do you think ?
Sister gave me a program over the weekend which allows me to make decals from nearly any image, and as I had two unpainted 20' containers decided to paint, weather and decal them today. And yes, not very straight I admit, but it's not easy adding decals to a ribbed box
Going to try and make decals for the Intermodel car before I weather it.
Next car up is for me! This arrived on my WRVT RR on 10/10/2023
I love the private free lance rail cars available from HomeShops.net. This is a Tangent Baby High cube boxcar labeled for fellow Wisconsinite, Kenny Ravenscroft and his Pilar Valley Railway.
We model different eras but I wanted this car and heck it’s my railroad, so, time to get dirty…
1st up after cleaning it was time to mess up the lettering. Some Isopropyl Alcohol and a wet 1400 grit sanding stick and we’ve started, a picture of each side
Got up way too early this morning so just mucking around in the sacred chamber of the silver rails.
Figured I'd share one of my weathered cars, the Accurail ACF 3 bay hoppers are my favourites.
Got up way too early this morning so just mucking around in the sacred chamber of the silver rails.
Figured I'd share one of my weathered cars, the Accurail ACF 3 bay hoppers are my favourites.
I do both for graffiti, decals and hand drawn. The decals I use come direct mainly from Circuscitydecals.com and are a great thin water slide decal. The only issue I have with them is they need to be cut out with a Xacto blade. My hands get shaky at times. Matt at Circus City has a good selection but after a couple years of using them I found another maker just for additional variety. Blair Line decals I purchase from Midwestmodelrr. They are already laser trimmed and just need a quick cut from the sheet. I have tried many other graffiti decal makers but keep coming back to CircusCity and now Blair as I believe they are the thinnest decal.
I like to hand draw the tags but I can draw graffiti but I now prefer the decals. I agree it seems thick to me at times for hand drawn. There is a YouTube content provider who says this about graffiti. Not all graffiti artists are good. He’s right, I’m not!
I now use based on suggestions from YouTube content provider Dan at Dansrailroad2011 the Zeyar acrylic paint pens from Amazon. I have tried many brands and these seem best to me.
This car is going to get beat up so I am not worried at this time about the terrible streaking on the side panels
The Overall grime effect is Vallejo Air’s Hull Red #71.039 thinned with tap water 80% H2O to 20% paint
The edges and door tracks were first painted 100% straight from the bottle after the side panel washes had dried, Vallejo Air Orange Rust #71.130. After using The hair dryer on that I mixed the orange rust with Vallejo Panzer Aces #302 Dark Rust. Maybe 50/50 I mixed till it looked good on the pallet.
Door slide scratches are up next when I return to it. Along with a set of Kato well cars
I put these in the cars in the dehydrator to completely dry for 90 minutes. That will give me time for a quick lunch and a trip to the post office
Done a little weathering over the last few days, haven't tried to do much, first one I decided on a new but used look, what do you think ?
Seeing as this belongs to a leasing company, I reckon they would keep them clean, so I've only done the trucks.
I've also managed to get the decals done for the Gon I have, just waiting on the Micro sol, I have the Red one (found it too late to be usefull) waiting on the blue one now, then I can decal and weather it.
The Logo and number I've half-inched from, I think, an Athearn Gondola, but need to work out how to make my own, I can do the lettering, it's getting a separate colour surround I can't figure out.