Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Those cars are great.

Thanks.

You know, if those had been steel boxcars with rust, I would not have tried remediation like that; I don’t think it would have worked well to fade over existing rust work.

By the way, below are photos of the reworking of the weathering of the trucks, wheels & turnbuckles since my last post:

IMG_3340.jpeg


IMG_3339.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I posted a new thread regarding “airbrush management” in this subgroup. Wanted to keep this thread clean, but since many of the heavier airbrush users populate this thread (and this thread gets the most action) I wanted to give an alert and ask you guys to chime in on it.

Thanks
 


I like spraying the wheel set faces plus the backside and trucks. What I don’t enjoy when I airbrush is cleaning off the pointy end of the axle. I can clean the wheel threads easier than the point of the axle.

I just finished last week spraying wheel sets for 40 cars. when I do a few I will hand paint them.
You could simply dip the axle point in something like Petroleum Jelly, paint can't dry, and easy to wipe off.
 
Solution…

Spray the wheels on the trucks while spinning…the axle tips get no coverage
If you aim the AB, the wheel metal contact areas get minimal overspray…
I use a post-it note as mask…cut a wide U in it and it can be dropped in between the wheels and the trucks…
Paint the truck top/face…
Flip the trucks over bottom side up and use another mask with the U having an upward sagging base like a “W” and slide that in between the truck and wheels…paint truck bottom/face

Patent Pending
 
Last edited:
You could simply dip the axle point in something like Petroleum Jelly, paint can't dry, and easy to wipe off.

There are also these painting sticks that have a tiny Q-Tip like bit of fluff on one end. One can dip that into some isopropyl and swab it around the axle point.

Or dip a regular Q-Tip in isopropyl, stick the axle point in the cotton tip, and spin it around a bit.
 
There are also these painting sticks that have a tiny Q-Tip like bit of fluff on one end. One can dip that into some isopropyl and swab it around the axle point.

Or dip a regular Q-Tip in isopropyl, stick the axle point in the cotton tip, and spin it around a bit.
Interesting ideas thanks.

I just put them in my hands and pinch them with my finger tips, that usually cleans them up
 
Last edited:


Solution…

Spray the wheels on the trucks while spinning…the axle tips get no coverage
If you aim the AB, the wheel metal contact areas get minimal overspray…
I use a post-it note as mask…cut a wide U in it and it can be dropped in between the wheels and the trucks…
Paint the truck top/face…
Flip the trucks over bottom side up and use another mask with the U having an upward sagging base like a “W” and slide that in between the truck and wheels…paint truck bottom/face

Patent Pending
Yep that's how I do mine. The track you see is my wheel/ truck spray track. I roll them back and forth and spray the wheels holding them with tweezers. Then hold the trucks and spray them. The last spray is with grimy black (3 previous are rust, earth,and light rust) again on the track so the wheel are rolling to get an even spray but, the wheels do not get targeted it's just an over spray from doing the trucks, but by rolling then you don't get spots.IMG_6293.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here's some trucks I'm working on for my channels giveaway.

This is the first time I try to really weather something.

I sprayed them with AK rust Base coat and added 3 or 4 black and rust washs.

I plan on dry brushing some white to make some highlights pop.

This is the first time I've try weathing anything this much let me know if I'm missing a step. Be gentle. Lol
 

Attachments

  • 20231025_202841.jpg
    20231025_202841.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 185
  • 20231025_202852.jpg
    20231025_202852.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 20231025_202902.jpg
    20231025_202902.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 20231025_202915.jpg
    20231025_202915.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 196


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top