Next up after 6 weeks of traveling and doing anything else but trains, I have returned.
UP 9807 is a Athearn RTR HO scale Locomotive that has added DCC, sound and ditchlights.
View attachment 171160View attachment 171161View attachment 171162Using a prototype picture I noticed the red sill stripe on the model is yellow on the real thing, there is no front plow and a couple other nitpicky things. The client has decided not to worry about the red sill stripe and I can find a plow and windshield wipers, so all is ok.
View attachment 171163
The photo was found online at RRpictureArchives.net, and taken by Bob Keenan in 2017.
As usual the picture is for inspiration and I am trying to capture the essence of the real thing, not duplicate it.
Cleaning was done by swiping the entire unit with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol with a brush and letting it dry.
1st up are the trucks and underframe. Remember this is a first coat and will look a bit rough
View attachment 171164View attachment 171165
The engineer side panel of the unit also now has its 1st coats, again it’s rough looking
View attachment 171166
the radiator grills have been dashed with black (Tamiya panel liner)
View attachment 171167
There will be some touch up and clean up when I come back tonight to this side.
All paints are the Vallejo Air series, hand brushed. As mentioned the radiators were done with Tamiya’s panel liner.
To blend everything I will be using Pan Pastels, but we are a few days at least away from that.
As always constructive criticism is welcome. Remember though this is a start not the ending. The roughness is part of the process, at least for me.
This client specially requested no airbrushing except for clear coating.
7