Walthers chainlink fence

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Yeah, it worked almost as well as the window screen and pins I picked up at home depot to make my first fence a while ago! :D LOL

Yeah, I thought they were a bit shiny too, but I was going off the prototype photos. I believe they were recently installed - I remember there being some older looking silos sitting on their side on the property a few months back - now they're gone.

3383168451_64f604f980_o.jpg


This was the best picture I could find off the HD quickly... I know I got some better ones somewhere.... :confused:

Thanks about the flag comment! The flag is just a mirrored double, printed on a photoprinter. I folded it over and shot some 3M 77 spray adhesive on it, then wrinkled it by hand a bit.

Kyle
 
Kyle, newly installed aluminum silos are really shiny. I think they are made by Butler and they are just like their grain bins, nice and shiny when new.

Josh, I do flags by printing out two mirror images and then gluing them on a piece of aluminum foil. You can do then do some smooth flowing bends in the flag that really makes it look like they are being blown in the wind.

Pole spacing depends on what kind of poles. Communications poles (what used to be called telegraph or telephone poles) along a right of way are usually about 70 to 100 feet apart but that's really variable depending on how many lines the poles are carrying and the terrain. The one thing that's common for railroad communication poles is that they tend to be much shorter than the standard 40 foot height for electic distribution poles. They are also made for whatever wood the railroad can get cheap and the crews don't spend a lot of time worrying about whether or not they are straight. All these things tend to make railraod comunication poles lines look pretty sloppy. Electrical distribution poles have a standard spacing of 125 feet but that also varies depending on how many leased lines, like cable and telephone lines, are along for the ride.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Here's someone else's use of tulle, which was mentioned here a while ago:

http://rbdhd.t35.com/Chainlinkfence1/

He's done a very neat job, and weathered it realistically, in my opinion.

He says "I will post a How I did this later" but as far as I can see, that never appeared.

Hi John,
This is my site and I'm the one guilty of not getting back to the "How-to" for this section. I'm currently working on a chain link fence for a module I'm building now. I'll be sure to get photos of the build and post a update when my site is updated.

Thanks for the shout out and nice comments.

Dave
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top