Walthers chainlink fence

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


kylewoody

Member
Hey guys,

Any tips for building this booger? I have gone through 3 hours of cussing and frustration and cannot get it together. I put all the post into the foam scenery base (easy) and cannot for the life of me glue the horizontal posts or mesh on - even using two different CAs.

It would seem easier to build it seperately, flat on a table, then put on the layout. But the directions do not say this, nor does the fence seem sturdy/strong enough to.

Maybe a photo-etched one instead...? :o

Thanks!
Kyle
 
Latest issue of MR or RMC ( I can't remember which one ) has a good article on it that makes it look better and assemble better.
 
Kyle, drop CSX road slug (Ken) a PM. He has some very good looking chain link fence that is scratchbuilt. (I gave up on that Walthers fence :o)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


its a PITA to make it look nice. Thick Ca glue is the trick I used. I glued the poles across the wires then I stretched the fabric across the poles . a drop of CA at each pole/wire location held it tight. dont use the thin CA it will run like water! Have fun and I can say I dont think I will be buying it again!!!!
 
I use to get a very fine mesh aluminum screen from a hardware store a few years ago that made a fantastic chainlink fence. It was HO scale too. I used steel wire for posts & fine wire for the horizontal pipes. I used a fine thread for the bobwire on top of the fence. I vaguely(sp) remember that I use to rough up the top string & then spray it w/clear to make it look like the spurs on bobwire. I hardly ever use chainlink fencing anymore. Guess I should.
 
Toulle for HO scale fencing

Kyle, drop CSX roadslug (Ken) a PM. He has some very good looking chain link fence that is scratchbuilt. (I gave up on that Walthers fence :o)

Rex, thanks for the plug --- 'cept you mis-spelled my screen name!;):D

Kyle, I dug up the stuff I posted a few months ago that Rex was referring to so you won't need to search for it. I consider the Walthers fencing a total ripoff, even more so now that I see the heartburn you've been having with it.

Hope this helps:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From the Atlantic Coast Coffee Shop post on 01-05-09:
I erected 4 feet of homemade chain-link fence to establish a boundary between my layout's steel mill property and a planned "downtown" area. It's made of toulle, the mesh-like stuff used on ballet tutu's. I bought it at my local Michaels Arts & Crafts store.

First, a closeup of how I threaded a length of .020" brass rod thru the top of the toulle. The red is my cutting guide lines. All of this stuff was eventually painted.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/CSX_road_slug/LayoutUnderConstruction/untrimmed.jpg

Next, a view from a little farther back after I trimmed the excess beyond the leftmost pole* (*A few days later I also snipped-off the tops of the vertical posts beyond the top edge of the mesh):

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/CSX_road_slug/LayoutUnderConstruction/trimmed.jpg

The third shot shows where my guard shack and access control gates will be located (in front of the raw MDF polygon):

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/CSX_road_slug/LayoutUnderConstruction/gate_area_view.jpg

This last image is a view of the entire MDF sheet covering what used to be a slag pit, with the fencing just barely visible along the back edge:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/CSX_road_slug/LayoutUnderConstruction/broad_view.jpg

Be advised, this is all "3-Foot Rule" material - not intended to win any NMRA/AP judged contests, LOL! I needed something to indicate a boundary between the steel mill and the future Main Street scene, and this seems to do the job nicely.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys! Everytime I'd try to glue the wires on, they would fall - couldn't hold it steady long enough for the glue to set, tried taping them and the glue stuck to the tape. So when I took the tape off, it ripped the wire too... :rolleyes:

I might try a different route here. Kinda pisses me off how crappy the Walthers kit is. I had to have the LHS order them too, go back and pick them up, only to find they are pretty close to the same stuff I have picked up at Home Depot before to make my own fence! :mad:

And hey Ken - that fence looks awesome! Way better than mine. :)

Kyle
 
I built a jig out of pine then mounted samll nails in palce to hole the brass wire,once all the brass was solered I got some "tool" AKA wedding veil and then glued it into place and cut to fit:D
 


Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I managed to get it done and in. Not perfect, but it works I think! I ended up building it seperately, flat on a table with thick CA. Then, gingerly transfered it over to the layout and set it in.

Here's a couple pics of it. I managed to print out a few prototype signs and spray adhesive those up too.

3375942587_9f2b480869_o.jpg


3375942611_ff753645d1_o.jpg


Kyle
 
Oops! Sorry Ken, my bad! :D :D

Darn Kyle, that looks very very good to me. Like the pole tops for the barbwire.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for showing how your fence turned out, now I know some of the pitfalls to watch out for when I get to make my own fencing.
Ron
 
Thanks guys!

I still have to do another fenced and gated area on a rail served industry... we'll see how that turns out. :o

Kyle
 
That looks really good. Too bad it was so much agrevation. Using a sign to break up the run was a cool idea.
 
Kyle,

That's a great looking industry you have there! I don't recognize what kind it is, but I'm guessing some type of chemical? Anywho, the piping is my favorite part, especially the inverted "U" pipe between the two innermost structures. Looks like you angle-cut several straight segments, just as the prototype does it. (Plastruct tube elbows have no kinks at all, which is non-prototypical)
 
Appreciate it guys!

It's actually an asphalt plant from Walthers - seems like most of the aggregates get shipped in by truck (stored in silos) and the tank cars bring in the petroleum bitumens to mix. Kind of hard to represent everything there is to it, it's a sort of low-relief industry there. I stayed as close as I reasonably could to the prototype, which is ARTC, located in Douglasville, GA here. You can almost make out there sign I put on the side! :)

Kyle
 
The three foot rule works fine for that fence, Kyle. It too have tried one of those Walthers kits and, IMHO, they should be pulled from the shelves. The material is shoddy, the instructions are lousy, and the finished product about a floppy as a fish out of water. If you still need shain link fencing, either use one of the scratchbuilt methods described or try a BMLA kit. It's actually built to allow you to turn out the probuct represented on the box. :mad:
 


Id say that looks pretty sweet Kyle :D :D

Now you need to tone those asphalt silos down, there WAY to shinny lol :D

BTW, where did you get the flag on the top of the silos? Thats really cool
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top