ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Having looked at the options (or rather lack of them) for loud speakers, I decided to make my own. The body comes from scouring a stationary supplier catalogue for cheap pens with the right shaped nibs. In the end cheap-o paper mate propelling pencils fitted the bill so these were my 'victims'.
I cut the end off and drilled the middle out, some 0.7mm wire in the middle and a section of Colin Craig etched ladder sides for the mount. To give a sence of scale the pole its mounted too is 1mm wide.
Sticking with lamp-posts for a minute. Some of them had boxes on them that I think are phone boxes. For use by the train crew or departures staff I dunno. I had some from a knightwing pack and started off using a couple. However it bugged me a bit and I decided I could do something a bit better from scraps (also fancied doing something a bit fiddly/daft again!)
On the left - Knightwing version. In the middle my version and on the right, if I am making my own why not one with the door left open? the box is shaped from 3mm square strip/
The other afternoon I built a couple of street lamps -
Built from 0.6mm. 1mm and 1.6mm metal tube with the base from 1/8th Plastruct. The head is shaped from microstrip and the access panel from paper.
Regular visitors will know that because the layout is set in the day, I dont need the lights to work however I fancied a working one to match the one above. Of course the finished item had to look identical so -
The inner workings, A surface mount LED soldered to the 0.6mm tube with a single strand of coated wire fed down the middle.
The finished lamp as lit. I am assuming that one lamp has gone a but wrong and will stay on!
most of my platform lamps are different in one way or another. Some have no extra bits, some have Phones, some HST stop signs and some loadspeakers or combinations of some/all
the one at the front of the layout has all 3 - makes a change for the complex one not the be hidden by something else! A little etch for the folding base thing!
That bracket is a fantastic little detail piece Jim, your work fascinates me no end, i love OLE, it's been under represented for years now and this project will make it all worth the wait. hope to see you at the shows