ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Theres a lot of traffic lights at the Hill st/Navigation St Junction. Having found some reference pics of lights from the right era I have drawn up an etch for the heads.
The pic on the right shows the bear carcass. I thought about how to show the lights and came to the conclusion that if they changed and the traffic didnt move that would look odd. By making the turn from Navigation street to up Hill street green but by also blocking the route with a bus at the bus stop I can literally jam up the traffic. Thus giving a reason for the traffic to all be stationary.
Just to keep the thread vaguely on the topic of railways, a few shots of trains!
86252 arrives from the Wolverhapton direction.
There was some booked freight though New Street - Steel was the more common freight you might find. This is 56066 a detailed and repowered Mainline model
47433 is a detailed and repowered Lima model.
this is the first of my (eventual 4) class 310's and 312's. Its built from the Southern Pride Kit
By the era of the layout Derby had just the 1 class 120 left in service. The model is a craftsman conversion of the lima 117
Firstly, absolutely *awesome* modelling - Thanks also from me for sharing. [One of my kids lives in Birmingham - He still uses New Street quite a bit.]
I actually realized they weren't one and the same just after I posted
I thought about deleting the post, but that always feels like "cheating" to me - If you're (in this case, me!) silly enough to post, you should have to live with it
I *knew* your attention to detail wouldn't let that happen
Please keep 'em coming! With all due respect to the "standard" roads typically modeled here, they can get a bit "similar" sometimes - Modeling British Rail (or whatever it's called these days?!) is a real nice change - Thanks again,
So, I thought about asking how you're making the road sign images (one way, no stopping etc) but then figured you'd probably already been asked and answered so dived into the thread from the beginning - Holey-moley! There's a very good, and in many ways complete modeling tutorial buried here! It took me a couple of hours to reach page 10!..... I reckon another 8-10 hours of reading and I'll be caught up
Time well spent though!
And that's without spending time on your site!.....
That is some outstanding modelling Jim and I love your attention to detail, it really is the little things that bring a scene/layout to life! Your scratch building of the street furniture is great..
I wouldn't be critical of anyone's work regardless of their skill level and I don't know if it's just the angle of the shot or not, but the traffic light in post 484 looks just looks to me to be a little too tall.. Is it correctly to scale? Like I say, not a criticism, just an observation, it may just be the way it's been photographed..
I was having a quick look on the net to see if I could find out how tall the traffic lights in the UK are and I came accross this which I thought may be of some help to you in building your layout (provided they aren't too modern).. http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/workingdrawings/#p3000
Hope it helps!
which I think are much the same thing. Incidentally this is where I get info on the other road signs. I then compare them to a copy of the 1986 Highway code to see if they have changed. When I am happy I draw them up in illustrator and print them on our minilab.
In the picture 'street furniture mock up.jpg' it looks fine, but in the picture with the bus 'red light.jpg' it looks a little too tall for some reason?!? Like i said, it may just be the angle of the shot...
What do you print them onto? I have a long and sorry tale of woe trying to use Testors decal paper printed on an inkjet - They won't release from the backing paper..... They look good on photo paper, but that's way too thick.
Loving the catenary btw - But I'm surprised you're not doing your own etching - I guess you know about this kit:
Thanks for that - I guess if I "knew" that was how I was going to use 'em I'd have laid 'em out a little differently. Magic marker (you call 'em fine-liners I believe) on any exposed backs/sides?
A while back I took a few shots under the bridge which came out quite well. However the lack of point motors bugged me so I have redone them. Also with the extra bridge supports that I have only just done and a bit of clutter on the platform