I've managed to negotiate space for a first layout, and now I can't make up my mind what to do with it. I know that I want to model a real railroad (not freelanced), and I want an urban/industrial setting in the far west - California, Nevada, or possibly Arizona.
What I can't decide is which era to model; there are four that I really like:
1) Old west, ca. 1860-90. ("Urban" in this era would mean a mining boom town: Candelaria, Eureka, or Virginia City in Nevada, or Nevada City in California.)
2) Turn of the century, ca. 1900-10.
3) World War II, 1943-44.
4) Almost modern, ca. 2000. (Back when a lot of equipment was still painted for Santa Fe and Southern Pacific.)
The givens are:
- Layout will be on a 2' wide shelf along two walls of a bedroom that will also be doubling as... a bedroom (so very little chance of any further land grabs at this time). I've got 13' 8" available along one wall and 5' 8" along the other.
- At my core, I am a model builder, so no RTR unless I really REALLY need something that is not available as a kit and is beyond my ability to scratchbuild. (I'm new to model railroading, but I've been building military models since I was small.) I do want a layout that I can operate, but a good 75% of the fun will still be in building the models.
- HO scale or larger. (Any smaller and I start running into problems with poor eyesight and fat fingers.)
Reading books and looking at pictures of trains only increases the list of things I'd like to model, so that's no help. <sigh>
OTOH, I have got some structure kits. Maybe building a diorama or two will help me decide.
Joe
What I can't decide is which era to model; there are four that I really like:
1) Old west, ca. 1860-90. ("Urban" in this era would mean a mining boom town: Candelaria, Eureka, or Virginia City in Nevada, or Nevada City in California.)
2) Turn of the century, ca. 1900-10.
3) World War II, 1943-44.
4) Almost modern, ca. 2000. (Back when a lot of equipment was still painted for Santa Fe and Southern Pacific.)
The givens are:
- Layout will be on a 2' wide shelf along two walls of a bedroom that will also be doubling as... a bedroom (so very little chance of any further land grabs at this time). I've got 13' 8" available along one wall and 5' 8" along the other.
- At my core, I am a model builder, so no RTR unless I really REALLY need something that is not available as a kit and is beyond my ability to scratchbuild. (I'm new to model railroading, but I've been building military models since I was small.) I do want a layout that I can operate, but a good 75% of the fun will still be in building the models.
- HO scale or larger. (Any smaller and I start running into problems with poor eyesight and fat fingers.)
Reading books and looking at pictures of trains only increases the list of things I'd like to model, so that's no help. <sigh>
OTOH, I have got some structure kits. Maybe building a diorama or two will help me decide.
Joe
