Turnout wiring

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Woodville

New Member
This is probaly an old question. But, I am building a small layout with a single loco. I am not using dcc setup. Just the old fashioned power pack. I would appreciate any thoughts on how to wire my turnouts. I will be using atlas 55 turnouts. Thanks... Eric
 
Atlas Code 55 turnouts do not require anything special in the way of wiring. The turnouts have built-in jumper wires (hidden under the ties) that provide power to all parts of the turnout except the frog. So in many cases, you need only provide power to the two outside rails, just like any other piece of track.

The frog might need to be powered if you use short wheelbase locomotives that may stall on an unpowered frog. There is a small round copper solder lug opposite the frog on one edge of the turnout that can be used to provide power to the frog. If you power the frog, you'll need to be sure the polarity of the frog is changed by whatever mechanism you utilize to throw the turnout.

The image below shows how I connect wiring to my Code 55 turnouts.

- Jeff

turnout_wiring_connections.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is probaly an old question. But, I am building a small layout with a single loco. I am not using dcc setup. Just the old fashioned power pack. I would appreciate any thoughts on how to wire my turnouts. I will be using atlas 55 turnouts.
I don't understand the question. Are you talking about train power through the track on the turnout, or do you mean wiring for remote control of changing the turnouts direction?
 


I am looking for input on power thru the turnout. On the turnout there is a lug for wiring the frog. I want to use manual ground throws for the turnouts. With dc power, if I power the frog, won't that create a short? If I don't power the frog, will I be able to move the loco thru the turnout?
 
I have about 50 Atlas C55 turnouts on my layout. As you may be aware, they have jumpers built in to connect each stock rail to the corresponding closure rail and rail that exits the frog.

When I first started using them I just installed them just as they came straight from the box. However, I subsequently discovered that on several turnouts one or more of the inbuilt jumpers had failed, leaving sections of the track unpowered.

Now, when I install these turnouts, I solder track feeders under the turnout so that the wire connects both the stock rail and the closure rail, before dropping down through a hole in the sub-roadbed. I also check the inbuilt jumpers that connect the exit rails to the stock rails, and if they don't work I solder a new jumper.

There are photos here and here which I hope will show what I mean.

I use manual push-rods to operate my turnouts, and install a slide switch to power the frog. Photos are here.

Regards,
Ron McF
 
Ron McF, that is excellent info! I was planning on doing something similar but your way is much easier and better. Thanks for the blog you have, I plan on reading much more of it.
 
I am looking for input on power thru the turnout. On the turnout there is a lug for wiring the frog. I want to use manual ground throws for the turnouts. With dc power, if I power the frog, won't that create a short? If I don't power the frog, will I be able to move the loco thru the turnout?
Our club connected a micro-switch to the manual turnout throws. When the manual lever is thrown that changed the polarity of power to the frog.

Yes, you have to switch the polarity of the frog power when the turnout changes regardless if it is DC, AC, DCC, or whatever.

Most locomotives will go through the turnout without powering the frog. It would only be if all the wheels picking up power got onto the frog at the same time that it could be a "dead" issue. The smaller the loco the more likely this is to happen. An 0-6-0 is probably just long enough to keep one of the axles off the frog. Powering them is still the best bet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for input on power thru the turnout. On the turnout there is a lug for wiring the frog. I want to use manual ground throws for the turnouts.
Caboose Industries manual ground throws are available with contacts for switching frog polarity when you throw the turnout. Their model #224S will do this for Code 55 turnouts.

You can accomplish the same thing with homemade ground throws that include a switch for changing the polarity.

- Jeff
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top