Hello all,
Finally getting back to building my first layout. I have chosen an Atlas cookie cutter layout for N scale and want to do it in DCC instead of the old way. I am new to this dispite trying to get this project going for over 19 years....sad huh? Now I have kids and they want a train...so here we go....
View attachment 15715 Atlas 11018 layout for N scale book #7
Here is the layout. Now, the guys from the N scale threads were nice enough to help guide me in the right direction, but I still need help.So far i know this...
I only need to include the plastic rail joiners/isolaters for rev loops and program tracks.
My equiptment includes this:
Atlas Commander and powerpack
MRC rev loop controller
atlas tracks and switches (switch contollers)
atlas wires
MRC old school power packs (for powering lights and other scenery items)
Questions i need answered please:
1. Do i need more power packs to run more than 4 trains.
2. Do i need to add rail power supplying joiners to both rails often, or as many as the atlas ruled show (remember, this layout insructions are NOT for DCC).
3. I need a clearer explanation on how to wire the program track and keep it part of my yard. Other than plastic rail isolaters/joiners, do I need to also wire it differently or add or omitt something???
4. Should I swap all my metals wheels for the original plastic ones on the cars? Do metal wheels on cars hurt DCC or rev loop controlers in anyway or confuse them?
5. Do I need to run a bus wire system under the tracks or is this not needed for DCC.
6. Should I run seperate buss for accessories and scenery from the track? Something tells me yes do to the different power packs. Does anyone have actual photos of their buses under their layouts? I just want to get a visual...I am a visual kinda guy.
I will add more questions as I run into them. Thanks for now. You guys are very kind and helpful. Thank you in advance.
Bill
Finally getting back to building my first layout. I have chosen an Atlas cookie cutter layout for N scale and want to do it in DCC instead of the old way. I am new to this dispite trying to get this project going for over 19 years....sad huh? Now I have kids and they want a train...so here we go....
View attachment 15715 Atlas 11018 layout for N scale book #7
Here is the layout. Now, the guys from the N scale threads were nice enough to help guide me in the right direction, but I still need help.So far i know this...
I only need to include the plastic rail joiners/isolaters for rev loops and program tracks.
My equiptment includes this:
Atlas Commander and powerpack
MRC rev loop controller
atlas tracks and switches (switch contollers)
atlas wires
MRC old school power packs (for powering lights and other scenery items)
Questions i need answered please:
1. Do i need more power packs to run more than 4 trains.
2. Do i need to add rail power supplying joiners to both rails often, or as many as the atlas ruled show (remember, this layout insructions are NOT for DCC).
3. I need a clearer explanation on how to wire the program track and keep it part of my yard. Other than plastic rail isolaters/joiners, do I need to also wire it differently or add or omitt something???
4. Should I swap all my metals wheels for the original plastic ones on the cars? Do metal wheels on cars hurt DCC or rev loop controlers in anyway or confuse them?
5. Do I need to run a bus wire system under the tracks or is this not needed for DCC.
6. Should I run seperate buss for accessories and scenery from the track? Something tells me yes do to the different power packs. Does anyone have actual photos of their buses under their layouts? I just want to get a visual...I am a visual kinda guy.
I will add more questions as I run into them. Thanks for now. You guys are very kind and helpful. Thank you in advance.
Bill
