Train in the median of an expressway

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


A great place to see trains like that in the middle of the freeway several times an hour is in Richmond Va.
 
Google Mopac Freeway in Austin, Tx or the Hardy Toll Rd here in Houston. Both have major rail lines in the median. In the case of the Hardy line, it is a major UP double track main, often with trains parked. There are several good crossovers (vehicular and pedestrian) for photography.

In Bryan, Tx, a UP main goes down the middle of some residential streets, no median or division at all, just a wide oak canopy. It's a great pic when the Challenger comes thru!
 


Very nice. We've got one of those out here in Southern California, well two actually. North of LA there's a section of rail in the middle of the 210, or maybe 10 freeway (I cannot remember), and there's a section, that traverses the 5 freeway just north of Oceanside CA.
 
Google Mopac Freeway in Austin, Tx or the Hardy Toll Rd here in Houston. Both have major rail lines in the median. In the case of the Hardy line, it is a major UP double track main, often with trains parked. There are several good crossovers (vehicular and pedestrian) for photography.

In Bryan, Tx, a UP main goes down the middle of some residential streets, no median or division at all, just a wide oak canopy. It's a great pic when the Challenger comes thru!

There is a railroad track in a median of a highway I went over in Houston.I forgot what road I was on,when I go visit my aunt in Houston,I'll figure it out.All I know is I have to go to Tidwell Street to visit her when I come from Pine Bluff,AR.
 
There is a railroad track in a median of a highway I went over in Houston.I forgot what road I was on,when I go visit my aunt in Houston,I'll figure it out.All I know is I have to go to Tidwell Street to visit her when I come from Pine Bluff,AR.


that's the Hardy Toll Rd. Tidwell crosses it and the tracks at the same time. There is a pedestrian overpass just south of there that is a good spot (during the daytime) to watch trains pass right under you. And a lot of them, too; it is a very busy double track main.between Spring and Houston.
 
Very nice. We've got one of those out here in Southern California, well two actually. North of LA there's a section of rail in the middle of the 210, or maybe 10 freeway (I cannot remember), and there's a section, that traverses the 5 freeway just north of Oceanside CA.

Both the 210 and the 10, actually. The 210 from Arcadia into Pasadena and the 10 from El Monte into East LA. And also the Alameda Corridor, though that's kind of a different animal since the tracks are in a channel 30' below street level.
 


Careful of who finds out, train watching could be more dangerous than talking on your cell phone while driving. ;)

I was exiting I-55 at Central Avenue on my way to Midway Airport last night when I noticed a CN train being pulled by a pair of standard nose geeps right next to the freeway ramp. Good thing I checked my rearview mirror before slowing down to gawk - had two cars coming up on me fast...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top