tooters scooters...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Since it's too small to have a motor in it, why not use a magnet on a belt under the tracks or something?

Sounds like my setup that uses a cassette Walkman and some audio tape to pull a cable car back and forth...:D (By the way, the design has been perfected and has been installed on my desk).:)
 
Hi weekender, :)

Did you make a video of that? It seems I recall seeing something just like you described. Very clever! :) I haven't started building a layout yet. I'll just put a kadee on the front of the little bike so it can be pulled behind a train. ;)

Greg
 


Put a new cab on my caboose...

IMG_5183.jpg


Thanks Larry! :)

Greg
 
Hmmmm, it's been quiet around here lately. A little too quiet. I suspect Greg is working on something really big, or make that - small. Perhaps a narrow gauge DD40AX that's only 10 scale feet long. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, :)

Haven't been working on any trains lately because I'm getting the basement ready for a layout table. But I did take a little video of a project I completed quite a while ago but never actually ran. It was really old diecast shell that I sandblasted, painted, and installed a powered Tyco trolley truck inside... :)

[YOUTUBE]uzhx7AxFToQ[/YOUTUBE]
 
It's just a simple DC open frame motor with a plastic frame and only one driven axle, but it runs nice and smooth. I think the heavy weight of the diecast shell helps. The truck wouldn't be any good for anything else except a trolley because it wouldn't have the traction to pull any cars. Got a new old stock Tyco trolley for $7 just for the powered truck, and the old metal shell for $13... both came from ebay. Took quite a bit of surgery to fit it into the shell, but it worked out pretty well.:)

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Hmmmm, it's been quiet around here lately. A little too quiet. I suspect Greg is working on something really big, or make that - small. Perhaps a narrow gauge DD40AX that's only 10 scale feet long. :rolleyes:

Naw, not enough axles for a "big" little project,
I suspect he's doing up a Tooter Schnable! :eek::D

Cool trolley Greg!
 
Wow, what's the length of that thing?!
(if I had a nickle every time...)
That would look great behind that little tooter of yours!
 
Got a new load for one of the little flat cars on the logging train... :)

IMG_5245.jpg


... a log skidder.

Sorry, I have a passion for those old steam-powered logging machines, and feel compelled to clear things up a bit.:D

The model on the flat car (which is very nice, I might add) is a "steam donkey" or "donkey engine". Such engines could be used for a variety of tasks, including yarding, roading, and loading. They could also end up as the power for slide-jammers, McGiffert and Decker loaders, pile-drivers, etc.

Technically, a "skidder" is a large logging machine that combines two or more steam donkeys on one frame (usually either a wooden sled or a railroad car). One engine would be used for yarding, another for loading, possibly another for rigging the whole setup. The largest skidders would be moved from place to place on two flatcars, had multiple donkey engines, a giant boiler, and a 100 foot steel spar sticking out of the top.


Steam donkey : http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/clarkkinsey&CISOPTR=1132&CISOBOX=1&REC=9

Skidder: http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/clarkkinsey&CISOPTR=618&CISOBOX=1&REC=17

All that being said, it is a very nice model. Have you considered replacing the factory skids with a log sled and "donkey house"?
 
Sorry, I have a passion for those old steam-powered logging machines, and feel compelled to clear things up a bit.:D

The model on the flat car (which is very nice, I might add) is a "steam donkey" or "donkey engine". Such engines could be used for a variety of tasks, including yarding, roading, and loading. They could also end up as the power for slide-jammers, McGiffert and Decker loaders, pile-drivers, etc.

Technically, a "skidder" is a large logging machine that combines two or more steam donkeys on one frame (usually either a wooden sled or a railroad car). One engine would be used for yarding, another for loading, possibly another for rigging the whole setup. The largest skidders would be moved from place to place on two flatcars, had multiple donkey engines, a giant boiler, and a 100 foot steel spar sticking out of the top.


Steam donkey : http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/clarkkinsey&CISOPTR=1132&CISOBOX=1&REC=9

Skidder: http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/clarkkinsey&CISOPTR=618&CISOBOX=1&REC=17

All that being said, it is a very nice model. Have you considered replacing the factory skids with a log sled and "donkey house"?

Ah, that explains why they came two to a package... :)

I have absolutely no prototypical sense...

IMG_5246.jpg


...and just put together any train stuff that looks cool. ;)

Greg





Greg
 


"...and just put together any train stuff that looks cool. ;) "

Same here. I don't do much of anything prototypical either. Just wait till you see my "locomotive crane". It's a standard diesel wrecker, but with an F-7 cab and riding on Blomberg trucks. :D

Now, the question is: Can tooter build the tooter skidder? Maybe one donkey engine and a 20 foot spar on a bobber frame?:D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top