The wife's HO Atlas layout...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


My next (shudder) task is to redo the wiring and get that sorted out so it is neater and traceable should there be a problem at any time. .

Buildings look nice, wondering if you are going to put in grout? I have seen brick where both the grout and bricks are painted one color.

Wonder if you are getting the wiring project done as well?
 
LASM,

Thank you and well, I am not sure on doing the grout - I'd like to but my previous attempts have been woeful and very unsuccessful so I am not sure if I will give it another try or not. If I do, I might try using the powder method instead of a paint wash.

The wiring hasn't been touched like I thought it was going to be. Right now, the layout runs well so the "tidying up" of the wiring got put on the back burner, especially since cleaning the layout up and going back to work on the Town area. It (the wiring) is still there and still on the list of things I would like to do. Chances are, once I finish this building I will be looking for something different to do, to take a break from the painting and re doing the wiring then seems to be the way to take that break.
 
Here is the completed building, 1 of 6:

Img_0860_zpscnxvepbp.jpg


Img_0861_zpsb2pbuei2.jpg


Img_0856_zpsn7m0htnf.jpg


Img_0859_zpscglrsvuy.jpg


Img_0857_zpstyi1gray.jpg


Img_0858_zpsd0h5qyaf.jpg
 


looks NICE Tony, that kit came with some really nice details and the faded sign on the one side is a really great touch!!
 
LASM,

Thank you, hopefully I will improve with each one I do. I really liked this kit because of the details that came with it:

Airconditioners,
Downpipe
Electric Box
The ladder and Fire Escapes

This is a Woodlands Kit, as are most of the others, so I am hoping they too come with detail as well.

Okay, a confession - the "faded sign" was an accident. When I put the IA wash on, I had it too dark and wasn't able to "wash it off so all I could do was go over it with more of the Brick Red - hence the faded sign. Even though it was a mistake, it does look neat now you mentioned it :)
 
have not been on for awhile Tony been real busy with the house went through the last few pages of your thread.The layout is coming along nicely and the buildings you are working on look good.
 
Johne,

Welcome back and thank you for catching up with the layout. I have done a lot to it over the past month including an extension to the front and left sides, lengthened the double track, redid the lake and added a little more detail to the lake side. Now, as you see, I am putting together more buildings to complete the town.

To be honest, I hadn't touched the layout for about 3 months up till a month ago, so it is now time to catch up on everything that should have already been done :)
 
Planters Feed and Seed

Afternoon All,

This is the next Building for the layout, "Planters Feed and Seed Supply".

Img_0862_zpssfslzot8.jpg


I am doing this a little differently to the last, painting the windows and detail before doing the brick work. I am hoping that I can get a "cleaner look" without the need to do a lot of touching up, especially where the doors and windows a re concerned.

So far all I have done is undercoated/primed the walls and started on the windows. Hoping this one turns out better than the last.
 
Have finished the rear of the building, paint wise, and I think it is at least a 50% improvement on my other building:

Img_0867_zps4kxsgble.jpg


Img_0868_zpsd67tcruf.jpg


As has been suggested, I wanted to do the "sills" a concrete color but don't have any and, well, was too keen to keep building and painting while I still have the enthusiasm :)

For those interested, the colors I am using are as follows, all Model Master Arylic:

Radome (Cream)
Medium Green
Box Car Red (the trim)
Earth (the bricks)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I got keen to finish this building, particularly as it seemed to be going well, so - here it is less the "mortar on 3 walls":

Img_0871_zpsx77nlsi1.jpg


Img_0873_zpsydw0qdcg.jpg


Img_0872_zpstyqjv68l.jpg


Img_0869_zpsyzdoa7pn.jpg


Img_0870_zpsiqnrrrfh.jpg


The mortar on the rear wall is a "formula" that comes with the DPM Kit for making a Mortar Wash; personally, I think it turned okay :)

Now I have looked at the pictures on here, it seems as though there is one or two places that need some touching up :rolleyes:
 
Painting looks great Tony!

The idea of windows first then brickwork (as a sequence in painting) sounds nice. You could also mask the window frames and use more of a dry brushing technique near the masking tape edge (you mask the painted window and then you drybrush the wall) so that no brickwork paint gets under the masking tape. I hope i am making sense in explaining this.

Also the faded sing is top notch!

Thanks for posting.
Yannis
 
Tony my hometown, Baltimore is known for brick buildings and your masterpiece looks like it could be in any neighborhood in my city!

Great work, now how do you top that!?
 
Yannis and Louis,

Thank you gentlemen, even I thought this one turned out pretty well - certainly better than the first one. As for how to top it, well, I wont be upset if I can't do any better than this and the truth is, I probably can't.
 
Tony you will top it, knowing you I expect you to take on some other completely different project and build on your experience to come up with another masterpiece.
 
LASM,

Thank you, hopefully I will improve with each one I do. I really liked this kit because of the details that came with it:

Airconditioners,
Downpipe
Electric Box
The ladder and Fire Escapes

This is a Woodlands Kit, as are most of the others, so I am hoping they too come with detail as well.

Okay, a confession - the "faded sign" was an accident. When I put the IA wash on, I had it too dark and wasn't able to "wash it off so all I could do was go over it with more of the Brick Red - hence the faded sign. Even though it was a mistake, it does look neat now you mentioned it :)


How awesome techniques are born! You have stumbled upon a winner! That faded sign MAKES the thing!

Well DONE, SIR!
 
Louis,

Thanks mate but I think you give me more credit than I am due, none the less - I'll take it ;)

New Guy,

Thank you and stumbled is the right word NG, would never have thought of doing a faded sign that way. Sometimes a screw up CAN work out okay in the end.

At the moment, and for the past couple of hours, I am/have been putting all of the small details onto the building as well as the included decals.

It is impressive how much you get with these DPM Kits. Not wishing to list everything; however, aside from the normal things (down pipes etc) there is a light, awning, pellets, boxes, hand carts and a host of other bits and pieces. I think this is the hardest part of this particular building so far.

With regards the over head light, it would be great if I could work out how to put on a "real light". I really think that would give it that something "special".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking fine Tony. I know first hand how hard it is painting all of the details on these buildings, but in the end it is well worth it. Nice job.
 
Chet,

Thank you and yeah, the details are a pain in the you know what but, as you said, it is those that make the structure in the end.
 


Fully completed the Seed and Feed Supply Building, I think:

Img_0880_zpsbewlbvhd.jpg


Img_0878_zpsvzvovike.jpg


Img_0879_zpsuexz3czb.jpg


Img_0874_zpskqrofbbu.jpg


Actually, the only thing left to do is to place the roof on. That will be done when I have the lighting in place.

The next building to do is the "Main Street Mercantile" by Woodlands. This is a Pre-Fab kit so shouldn't take all that long to complete.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top