The Union Pacific Soggy Bottoms Subdivision (HO scale)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I got most of the painting done on the flatcar project. The deck of the flatcar is painted with Badger ModelFlex Armour Yellow, and then I used Tamiya Panel Liner (black) to highlight the deck seams. Any excess was rolled across the deck with a cotton swab. The under-frame, sides, and deck were then given a light mist of Testors Model Master Grimy Black. I still have a number of bottles of MM paint, and want to use them up before they go bad.
The trucks were also given a coat of Grimy Black. I'll highlight the springs with a bit of rust color.
The load pieces were painted with Vallejo Model Air Steel ( 71.065). Once I get the load glued to the deck, I'll go over everything with some flat clear coat. Then I'll install the strapping. I have some elastic thread I plan to use as strapping. Some .040" square styrene will be used as 4x4 blocking.
DSC_2974.JPG


Here the center piece is being glued to the deck. The under side is not painted, so I sanded some paint off the deck and used the famous (infamous?) Testors tube cement to glue the plastic parts together. I put some CA gel under the weights as added glue. The wheels will be CA glued to the deck, as there really isn't any good way to get a good plastic to plastic bond with those. The tank pieces will get some paint scraped off the bottom, and some paint scraped off the deck, tube cemented in place. Once the blocking and strapping is installed, none of this load is going to come off accidentally.
 


The road wheels, fuel bins and drive housing ( I think this is for the motorized T-34 but don’t quote me ) look great in the Vallejo Steel.. nice👍🏻

Thanks…Using these surplus parts was an expedient that combined my interest in armour kits with HO trains…
Besides if you have built a few tank kits, there are lot of extra parts that accumulate …
There are a few different scales in there…1/16, 1/24, 1/32, 1/35, 1/48, 1/72 tanks mostly…a few aircraft parts…
13 gondolas filled so far…I have a few more to go…
And the 2 scrap piles on my layout are kit parts…
 
The road wheels, fuel bins and drive housing ( I think this is for the motorized T-34 but don’t quote me ) look great in the Vallejo Steel.. nice👍🏻

Thanks…Using these surplus parts was an expedient that combined my interest in armour kits with HO trains…
Besides if you have built a few tank kits, there are lot of extra parts that accumulate …
There are a few different scales in there…1/16, 1/24, 1/32, 1/35, 1/48, 1/72 tanks mostly…a few aircraft parts…
13 gondolas filled so far…I have a few more to go…
And the 2 scrap piles on my layout are kit parts…
Yes, that is the drive housing. These came from the Tamiya 1/35 kit that was designed to be motorized back in the 70's.
I really like your gondola loads!
 
Finished up the flatcar. The strapping is .5mm elastic thread. I used some grimy black and flat earth to tone down the shine of the deck. The 4x4 blocking is styrene strip. I tried to simulate that nice gray color that CCA treated wood gets when it's exposed to the element s for a long time. I don't know why, but I decided to add tool and storage boxes to each end. Insanity, I suppose. Maybe the 1:1 scale UP wouldn't do that, but my 1:87 scale version did!
DSC_2976.JPG


DSC_2977.JPG


Now to start that 1/35 scale M48A2 Patton tank.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top