The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thanks. That explains signals very well!

So you have the TC software and from Digitrax you just use their throttles, and other devices? I guess what I am asking is if I go the same route as you on my 8' x 12' layout what components should I be looking to buy?

Thanks for all the help.

PS Ken - the link in your signature is broken.
 
Except for very special cases TC requires a DCC Command Station (say Digitrax) which supports being controlled by a computer. The TC web site has a extensive list of what command stations are supported and notes as to any limitations the command station may have when it comes to supporting all of the things the TC can do.

On my layout I have a Digitrax DCS100 for running of trains, a DCS100 for occupancy detection and device control and a DCS200 for the engine yard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Yeah, I am realizing that. I am still trying to recoup from buying the bench work materials, tools, and the beginning of the scenery and landscape foam. I don't even own a piece of track any more. And I have only been able to find three of my box cars, two of which are still in Craftsman kit form. So I have a steep incline to overcome (uphill battle haha).

The generosity of the folks on here to help out is simply amazing.

Thanks again.
 
This cold weather is playing havoc on my track work.
I've been chasing down kinks like this all weekend. I think the humidity gets pretty low when the temps drop and the wood has shrunk or expanded. I'm not really sure.
 
Last edited:
Ouch. Looks like you need a humidifier. My house stays good enough to keep my guitars in tune, but I am wondering how well my layout is going to fare in the winter and summer extremes we have here. That is why I am trying to use as much foam as possible.
 
Real railroads can have that problem on real hot days. But cold weather likely causes your heating system to run more and that can dry out wood - making it shrink. If you have a humidifier try running that in the basement.
 
But find one that can connect to your water supply in some fashion - filling them up is a pain in the... painful parts.

Honeywell makes some nice steam units that can be installed in your HVAC system - and they work well - I have four separate HVAC systems in my home and each one has Honeywell unit.
 


I had a humidifier in my previous house and it was such a mess. It had a continuous lime build up and if I did clean it at least once a month, it got a slime buildup too. I had public water to the house there. I'm on a well here. I could only imagine the additional problems I would have here with well water.
 
Hi Ken,

Yeah some of the older ones (rotating drums, etc) were a pain. These newer steam units dont need much maintenance at all. There is no slime build up because of the heat. There is scale build up in the bottom of the "tank" where the water goes prior to making steam. The cleanup is simple - I do it twice a year - or I go by the "time to clean" light.

We are on well water too but we do have a whole house water softener/filter system.

Frederick
 
Pushing along with isolating the final power section of the layout for block control and eventually the signal system. I have a few more turnouts to link up to the SE8C and then I can start installing the signals themselves.
When the is section is done, I think I might go back to section three and rewire the boards with the acculite edge connectors. The current connections are quite a mess and would be very difficult to trouble shoot if I had to.
I have my shopping list together for this weekends Timonium show up in Baltimore, MD.
 
Yes I can see how those acculite devices are a big improvement over the "normal" edge connectors.

I was going back over your pictures and see that you have a unused TC-64 - what are your plans (if any) for that?
 
Yes I can see how those acculite devices are a big improvement over the "normal" edge connectors.

I was going back over your pictures and see that you have a unused TC-64 - what are your plans (if any) for that?
I don't have a TC-64. Renegade has a TC-64 in one of his pictures that he posted in post 176. Is that the one you are refering too?
 
I am "late" on this thread, and can't understand why or how I missed it. This is a model rail roaders dream. Wish I had the space and money to undertake something like what you are doing. Actually, wish I had the knowledge as well :)

This is an incredible layout, by any standards and the more I have read, the more the interest grows.

Absolutely amazing ...

wombat457
 
I don't have a TC-64. Renegade has a TC-64 in one of his pictures that he posted in post 176. Is that the one you are refering too?


To answer you question about the my TC-64. I am using it for block detection. I have yet to run the ribbon cable from the actual block detectors (BOD-8) to the TC-64. All the ports will end up being used at some point.
 
Thanks wombat.
It certainly is an undertaking. This has been my lifes dream as well and then circumstances provided the opportunity.
 


To answer you question about the my TC-64. I am using it for block detection. I have yet to run the ribbon cable from the actual block detectors (BOD-8) to the TC-64. All the ports will end up being used at some point.

Thanks for the information.

I had initially bought one of each of the appropriate Digitrax products (BDL168, SE8C, DS44, DS64, etc) and experimented with them. Then somebody steered me to the TC-64 line and the "unified" approach appealed to me. The great versatility of the system was a plus. I also liked that there were no edge connectors that required soldering - I did not know at the time that there products that addressed this issue.

I admire Ken for what he has accomplished using the Digitrax line of products.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top