The BOeC

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thank you.

I've been looking at some of your older post (with pics) you do excellent scenery.

Thanks.
On the next layout I build, I'm going to try to get the look of this:

I like windswept coastal sand against the rails and between the ties. I think I'll try to do this with chalk dust and very, very fine sand, In HO scale that will probably be a challenge. I'll practice and experiment on little dioramas first.
 
zoegraf: That looks pretty neat actually. I will also try your technique [your pics on another topic] for branch line and barely-use-siding (grass between the ties.) I like that. Looks good.

In taking these pictures I realised that I have more "tweeking" to do for the backdrop and for lighting.

zoegraf you mentioned the MLW RS18 is not very prototypical. That is fine with me. I don't mind if the dimension are off a little. Talk about not being proto here's one loco that is not. Nevertheless it's a good puler and nice sound. So it's been "adopted" on my layout:D

Cheers


2011222181014_11.JPG



I think the [tall] grass and shrubs came out ok.



.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
zoegraf: That looks pretty neat actually. I will also try your technique [your pics on another topic] for branch line and barely-use-siding (grass between the ties.) I like that. Looks good.

In taking these pictures I realised that I have more "tweeking" to do for the backdrop and for lighting.

zoegraf you mentioned the MLW RS18 is not very prototypical. That is fine with me. I don't mind if the dimension are off a little. Talk about not being proto here's one loco that is not. Nevertheless it's a good puler and nice sound. So it's been "adopted" on my layout:D

Cheers


2011222181014_11.JPG


2011222181027_22.JPG


2011222181158_33.JPG


I think the [tall] grass and shrubs came out ok.



.

The grass and shrubs look good.
I think I could live with the RS18's dimensional errors.
Do you have any shots of your RS18 on the forum? I'm going to do a search.
Cheers
 


I found pics of your RS18. Looks nice. Did you put the sinclair antenna and horns on it? Or did it come that way?
 
zoegraf

it is stock. I haven't done nothing to it since I got it a few years back.
So yes it came with horn and antenna as you see. (Did not put the sunshade yet)


MLW%20RS-18c.JPG



MLW%20RS-18b.JPG

Looks good. Oh those shades, I find that they are such a challenge to put on.
 
Slowly moving "eastward" on the layout.

Made the bridge that cross over the Yamaska river.

The piers are temporary until I can find the proper one that will fit.

The basic base coat of 'weathering" has been aplied.

Basically it now requires finer work. In the meantime it's looking ok.
Not sure how I will make the water yet.

201137131526_P1.JPG



201137131550_P2.JPG


201137131636_P4.JPG
 
Slowly moving "eastward" on the layout.

Made the bridge that cross over the Yamaska river.

The piers are temporary until I can find the proper one that will fit.

The basic base coat of 'weathering" has been aplied.

Basically it now requires finer work. In the meantime it's looking ok.
Not sure how I will make the water yet.

201137131526_P1.JPG



201137131550_P2.JPG


201137131636_P4.JPG

Looks good!
I think there is a post/thread on the forum on how to make water. I'll take a look...

Check this out
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11253&page=2
 
VIDEO of the layout

It's been a while....

Short video of the layout (St-Hyacinthe segment)
The Link to the video is below the picture

St-Hyacinthe Station: Passenger train waiting to leave as a
short freight go by.

2012217173729_Video%20BOEC%20gare%20st-hyacinthe.JPG


http://youtu.be/FOOUzilFxLc



What I found interesting, mostly, is that the MLW RSD15 -BLI Blue Line-
(CN never had one!) and the CN MLW C-630M -Bowser- consist/M.U
together so well. No need for speed table. Also the sound comes out nicely,
distincly Alco/MLW. Of course it sounds better "in person".

You can aslo see the , as yet non functioning signal (for switch position)
in the background.

2012217122720_Video%20BOEC%2021.JPG


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMfqCPuEBpg



CN freight leaving St-Hyacinthe, eastbound about to cross the Yamaska river
.
201221716289_Boec%20video%20St-Hyacinthe%20EST.JPG


http://youtu.be/WdY8dostN68




.
.
 


Talk about "thinkering with the layout" this quick shot are
from the new addition I've been working "on-and-off" since early fall. :)

Basic scenery [foundation] in place and tracks have been paint/weather
This addition is Bois d'Arcy. Backdrop is temporary as I see how it "fits" in
the overall theme. I will most likely change it later, that and details (shrubs
trees, telephone pole etc. etc.)

This classification yard is between Ste-Rosalie and Levis. Interchange occured between CN and SL&C rr. Bois d'Arcy is in the Drummond
Subdivision which is next after the St-Hyacinthe subdivision when
going eastbound.

201221915140_Boisdarcy2.JPG



20122191525_Boisdarcy3.JPG
 
Started making trees

Read a bit on various forum how to go about making realistic trees. Some modellers have spectacular skills and results.

I made generic trees made out of the following

*bamboo skewer
*blue plastic cheap furnace filters
*spray adhesive
*WS fine blended ground foam

Once dried I will paint the "trunk" and start planting.

2012514121859_t3.JPG
 
In the meantime I’ve continued on the scenery at Bois D’Arcy as well: grass and small shrub. This will eventually blend in the backdrop.

2012518123311_a1.JPG
 
I’ve been tweaking my tree making since I started a few days ago. I
am by no means an expert in that field but I think there’s an improvement.

I’ve trimmed the “trees” and using spray adhesive I sprinkle static grass,
then fine blend foam (grass), then repeated the process until the result started
to look better.

I varied the amount to produce trees that were not identical to one another.


2012518123514_a3.JPG



2012518123738_a5.JPG
 
I also started on the other trees by using green fiber, fine blended
foam (grass), static grass, and medium coarse grass (light green)


201251812410_a8.JPG



That's it for now

thx
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top