ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
They are actually sections of 1x2 wood I painted, cut and tapered the tops to allow for the incline/decline of the track. Probably not the most commonly used method of benchwork!
I believe I cut two of each height 1/4 inch shorter than the next two and then shaved/tapered a bit of one of the set on the ones used for incline/decline and placed them about 2 inches apart from each other.
Haven't been on here much lately but there is some layout progress still....
Got most of the design done for the new areas and started laying roadbed and track. Got most of one mainline down and need to wire. This will be a double main through most of the city with spurs and sidings for industry. The black roadbed is a material used for lining toolboxes. It's very thin, smooth and easy to work with. Plus it lowers the siding so they are not as high as the mains.
Images follow the track from one end to the other in order moving right to left....
I'm loving the toolbox liner idea. Will be a fraction of the cost of regular roadbed and should have nice sound deadening qualities. It would also be quick and easy for larger yard areas.
I'm loving the toolbox liner idea. Will be a fraction of the cost of regular roadbed and should have nice sound deadening qualities. It would also be quick and easy for larger yard areas.
Thanks for the feedback David, I've been trying to get an update in and here and there but I've been pretty busy and not had as much time to make progress.
I did manage to finally tie in the mainline into the two tracks coming from the yard that go into the mountains, it took a bit more time than planned but it's almost done. I'll paint/ballast the tracks after wrapping up the wiring.
I also finished laying track for one of the two double mains going through the city and industrial areas. Wiring is in progress now and I hope to have the first main running very soon. Once complete I'll complete the second mainline and then start adding the sidings and spurs to the industries...
Big push on the wiring coming, hopefully that will get some other areas going and allow for an updated video or two.
It was tricky, I had to cut out to sections and redo the cork roadbed too. Had to also rewire. It didn't help it was in a corner that wasn't too accessible.
Got a lot more buildings to buy still. I'll eventually fill in most of the space in the front section with them. I want the effect the lines are passing through a pretty populated area....
Picked this one up on eBay, couldn't resist!! Just needs a slab and one corner repaired and good as new! Probably weather it a bit too. Looks like something you'd see in a socal desert town.
I've also got some kits I haven't built up yet too in boxes.
Thanks for the feedback, i thought I had previously responded.
Been really busy with work and school on weekends so I haven't had much time to work on the layout. I do find a bit of time on the week nights right now but most of it has just been soldering switches and rail joiners, wiring switches, terminal boards and wiring the new addition to the layout.
Couple shots of the wiring that is my life right now on the layout.... I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel though!
Also been laying some track as I wire so I have good terminal joiner placement.....
Had a few delays for atlas switches back ordered and radio shack never restocking the terminal boards.