steam loco (which one?)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Does anyone have any thoughts on what would make a good "FIRST STEAM LOCOMOTIVE" for someone new to the hobby? I have 23.5" outside curve and 22" inside curve on my layout. I would like the loco to be ready to go out of the box ...ie NO SEPERATELY APPLIED PARTS. I know MTH,BLI,..ect make steamers but have 0% understanding of what are the pros /cons of not only each company,but which type of loco (size wise) might be best for me. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks much ....Jay
 
Look at Bachmann Spectrum. They have a few smaller steamers. I have one of their Consolidations which is an excellent running locomotive. It is the one in the rear of the picture. I think they also make an 0-6-0 and a 2-6-2. Not very expensive like the MTH or BLI, but not large locomotives.




attachment.php
 


What is the age? The 0-6-0 is really easy to put on the track and later down the road can be dedicated as a switcher if you upgrade to the 2-8-0. Bachmann will work but there are many manufacturers.
 
I run 18 degree radii and also run 0-6-0, 2-6-0 and 4-8-2 loco's without too many drama's. My engines are mainly Athearn Genesis, but the 0-6-0 is a Bachmann.
 
age of layout? I am odd that way I run what I like i have switchers built in 50s and go up to locos made in the 90s, and most stuff in between. Most are diesel from late 60s early 70s
 
Someone asked me ...i think about the era of my layout (log&saw man did) but what is ur era Tony? u run any diesels? just steam?
 


I run both. My layout is "era non specific" and completely fictional. If I want to run my diesels and my steam together, I consider the steamers as "Tourist Dinner Trains". Kind of cheating but works for me :)
 
I would suggest he IHC 2-6-0's as well as the Bachmann and IHC consolodations, all are good choice at very reasonable prices.
 
Bachmann offers a 2-6-0 with DCC and sound for bout $150. Less from most online sellers. They run very well, and sound good. They will operate well on 18" radius and above.
 
It depends, are you wanting mainline steam, or shortline steam? Do you want excursion trains? What area of the country are you modeling? And how heavy are you planning on your trains being for that engine?
 
Does anyone have any thoughts on what would make a good "FIRST STEAM LOCOMOTIVE" for someone new to the hobby? I have 23.5" outside curve and 22" inside curve on my layout. I know MTH,BLI,..ect make steamers but have 0% understanding of what are the pros /cons of not only each company,but which type of loco (size wise) might be best for me.
I have to agree with the others. Bachmann Spectrum makes some wonderful small steamers for a "first" steam locomotive. I have several of the 2-8-0s. I have a few 2-10-0s, at least one 4-6-0, and a 4-4-0. I can recommend them all. They have also recently introduced a 2-6-0 Mogul, that I have on my "want" list.

Another option, if you don't mind paying more, is the Walther's Proto Heritage 0-8-0 and 0-6-0. I've got a few of those also. Train World of NYC has one in Erie paint scheme on clearance for $219.

I've got couple BLI 2-8-2s that run well and will go around sharper curves. I have a fleet of their 4-8-4s and 2-10-2s that I really like (probably my favorite steamers other than the Trix), but I would not like running them on curves as small as specified. They would look silly.

IHC locomotives are probably the best value for the dollar. They run well, but I do not think they come DCC equipped.

Avoid Life-Like and Bachmann non-Spectrum locos.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd look for a BLI 2-8-2 - pretty sweet running little loco and it will run on DC or DCC I believe and has sound. I have one and love it, nice engine. Otherwise I hear good things about the Bachmann 2-8-0's.
 
I have a BLI 2-8-2 and it is good engine, it has pretty good pulling power, and not terribly expensive for the value. I heard that their 4-6-2 (heavy or light) is a good engine too, I have yet to find one. Athearn's 2-8-2 is a great engine, very smooth and pulls very well! Their 4-6-2 is pretty good also, just does not have much pulling power. Also the Bachmann spectrum heavy 4-8-2 is one of the best engines I own, it is heavy, strong, and very smooth! I would agree to stay away from life-like, they are very fragile, but I will say that their later run 2-8-4 is a great engine, it is smooth and pulls well! Bachmann's berks are not bad as well, you just need to add some bullfrog snot and some weight to get the power up a little!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the choices will work. My steam is mostly brass but I have a few plastic models. The spectrum stuff is nice and the 2-8-0 is a good "go to" wheel arrangement. There were more 2-8-0's than anything else on most railroads. They were the F-7 of their day. Spectrum also makes a nice 4-6-0. The BLI 2-8-2 is very nice and the largest wheel arrangement I'd entertain considering your curve radii
 
my table is in 1/3s first part is my daughter modern city second is oil refinery and last part is open farm and ore mine as well .The steamer would look good comming out of ore mine but maybe out of place in the rest of my layout? Then again maybe not? Here in WIS they are so short on locos they are digging some out of mothballs it seems and CN rail owns the line but ive seen SF,BNSF,CP,GT,CXS,NS,SOMETHING AND WESTERN TRAIN WAS TO DIRTY & I was too far away & even rental locos.So who knows maybe steamers will be next??...LOL
 


I model modern day also, but...I love steam. So what I do, is almost constantly have a steam excursion or fan trip running on the layout, get you some good coaches, a water tender, and a baggage car as a tool car and wa la, you have an excursion train. It is a great excuse to have any steam on your layout. I try and use engines in excursion service today, but you are not limited to that, any steam engine could do!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top