steam loco (which one?)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I don't think I read anything about the smoke feature of steam. MTH and BLI offer synchronized smoke in their models.
This video is the BLI 2-10-2 AT&SF. It's a bit bigger than what you could probably run on your curves, but it gives you an idea of what is available for a few bucks more.

[video=youtube;AtXrk8O9Fow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtXrk8O9Fow&feature=youtu.be[/video]
 
I love BLI stuff i have 8 diesels and 5 of there switchers. With it being holiday time they are hard to find at least in an a smaller loco that would fit on my track
 
I found undecorated 2-8-0 BLI that I think fits the bill nicely , I will turn it into CN #2616 and it will fit rite in my ore pulling fleet or maybe a specialty trainthat gives ride into yester year?
 


I love BLI too! I have 3 of their engines (J, A, and 4501), and all run like dreams, I don't think you can really go wrong with them!
 
I agree with Iron Horseman. Most of my engines have smoke; however, running smoke is smelly and messy resulting in me turning it off
 
attachment.php


Here's one for you.
 
Here's one for you.
Does that say Virginia & Truckee on the side and #29 on the loco? V&T's only 2-8-0 was purchased in 1947 as the second #5, and was scrapped in 1950. I didn't know there were phoobies in the prototype world ;) Tourist railroads are great, I wonder where they got this one?
 
That is correct. It was a pleasure to take a ride in. We do a lot of traveling and won't hesitate to take a couple of hundred miles to ride on a train.

attachment.php
attachment.php


It was acquired from the Longview Portland and Northern RY in 1977 and restored from 2001 to 2009.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I called BLI and order an 2-8-2 Mikado,it seemed after alittle research they were more common on the rail ways in canada then the 2-8-0. Info on the loco said it will run on 18" curves or greater and having 23.5 outside & 22 inside i should be ok? Nope it does blow smoke but again from what i have researched and whats been said here it sound like more mess then its worth?
 


The BLI 2-8-2 I have has no problem what so ever running on 18" track, I just ran it on the "branch" the other day with multiple 18" turns and she went around with no problem! You are in good hands with BLI!
 
Alex , I must have not looked hard enough!! I did see they had afew didnt realize that many. On the BLI i looked at all had head light on top of loco,compared w/the pics I saw of them in real life the light was centered in the middle of the nose flat plate in front. I am sure some had it on top I just couldnt find pics of them,dont get me wrong I love the looks of both of them.........and do not dare say I should have gotten both because I would hate to wilt from peer pressure and buy another one...LOL
 
I stick to a core 50's era, I model interurban/steam, some diesel. I have a few modern stuff, that will cheat run every so often. Industrial tracks can go down to 15 inch radius, but my mainline standard is 24 inch, 26 inch for my South Shore portion. Bachmann keeps surprising me with their stuff. The EM1...wow. Steam engine choice to me is more a matter of what my railroad is and what its operating needs are, but for what I am doing its more than just that its multi-railroad and each line has its own needs.
 
Alex,good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to model train and bought a 2-8-0 so now I have both ..they are unlettered & unnumbered so I will need to find some small CN OR CP rail stickers and HO scale numbers to put on them at somepoint.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top