Starting the new layout!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thanks guys.

Scott, I'm starting to jones for doing scenery now. That is my favorite part of the hobby. It allows my artistic side to go crazy. I'm tired of just seeing all of the scenes in my head, I need to get 'em out. I have a lot of scenes planned from rural to deep urban Philly to industrial.

Unfortunately, I can't get down there as often as I would like... which is every day. In actuality I only get down about once a month.

I do have some of the buildings in my possession, with a few of them started already.
 


Here I am again. Back from a productive trip from my Dad's. I got a little more wiring done... still alot to go( I thought DCC was 2 wires a GO!:D ). In the picture below you can see the installed upper branch line. Near the top right of the picture is where the line ducks behind the center backdrop and over to the Highline bridge and over the main yard throat.

View attachment 7221

The next 2 pix illustrate the major difference the lights I installed made over the yard and rural area.

BEFORE
View attachment 7219
The one dim light in the top of the photo.

AFTER
View attachment 7220
WOW!

Well worth the $60 it cost.

In this Video You can see the upper level, backdrops, lights installed and description of other areas.
 
The next pix are of the new 3 foot backdrop I installed. It is 1/8" Masonite attached to 1x1-1/2" post mounted to the benchwork. I primed it with some leftover latex KILZ my Dad had laying around. It was some thick goopy stuff, just barely enough to cover both sides... but it worked fine.

Rural side
View attachment 7222

Yard side
View attachment 7223

end shot, showing how the backdrop splits the layout in 2
View attachment 7224

Next up... "Big Sky Country"
 
Here's the completed blue sky painting of the backdrop.
The first 2 shots are of the yard side of the backdrop. The board doesn't go all the way down to roadbed because there will be a raised car road along most of it and tall buildings covering the rest.

View attachment 7227

View attachment 7228

These are shots of the rural side of the backdrop. In the first shot I drew a red line to show an area that will be cut out. The track is only about 1" from the bottom of the backdrop because it actually passes under it to the yard side. On the Rural side this opening will be hidden by a tunnel and on the yard side it will be inside of a large warehouse building flat against the backdrop. Necessity is the mother of invention.

View attachment 7231

I love how this picture turned out. I originally took it with a flash. When I looked at it in the camera viewer it looked very dark, so I shut off the flash and let the lights I installed do their work... Wow, what a difference.

View attachment 7230

It's a nice warm glow. I originally had 2 cool white bulbs in the fixtures but I just changed them to 1 cool white and 1 warm white bulb. I was hoping it would give a fuller spectrum of light. I like the results so far.
 
Flash/Non-flash pictures

Here is a comparison of the 2 pix I took with the flash on in the first shot.

You can see the flash reflection on the rails. Look how dark it turned out.

View attachment 7232

And below is the flash turned off, using only the fluorescent fixtures above with cool and warm white bulbs.

View attachment 7233

Cameras are funny creatures.
 
Here's a Video of the completed backdrop less the clouds.

Thanks for checking things out so far.

Till next trip... which might be awhile, night classes started up again.
 
Thanks Chip,
I still need to add the clouds to the center peninsula backdrop though. That will happen next trip. Also, a lot more wiring is planned; feeders dropped and connected to the main buss, reversers/breakers installed, short circuit protection with 1156 bulbs, etc.
 


Thanks Chip,
I still need to add the clouds to the center peninsula backdrop though. That will happen next trip. Also, a lot more wiring is planned; feeders dropped and connected to the main buss, reversers/breakers installed, short circuit protection with 1156 bulbs, etc.

Well you can if you want, but I think it look fine the way it is and adds variety while staying consistant with the clouds in the back. Like the weather is slightly different in one part of the layout from the other. I thought you had done it on purpose.
 
Well you can if you want, but I think it look fine the way it is and adds variety while staying consistant with the clouds in the back. Like the weather is slightly different in one part of the layout from the other. I thought you had done it on purpose.

You might have a good point there. I could just add a few clouds om the one side of the backdrop to help tie it in with the rest of the layout, but leave alot more blue for variety... like a "break" in the clouds.

Hmm? You got me thinking now.:rolleyes:
 
Ron, I agree with Chip that it looks very good "as is". That is exactly the effect I want to do on a backdrop behind my town of Ashland. You have an excellent blend of the low level lighter sky with streaks of thin clouds and the deeper blue upper sky. Be careful...it's easy to do too much.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oops! Sorry Ron about the password thing. The problem is I haven't re-entered my photos on Railimages new site. I had removed them from the old, but and to be honest, have been procrastinating since:o :o :D

This is an old photo of the city when I first started laying it out; this was a later addition to the layout. At first I was only planning to use half of the garage, but then I was introduced to formal operations. The rest is history:o :D . Now there is a train station, yard, industries and etc., but nothing is permanently in place until I do something with the sky in the backdrop. I thought about a light air brushing with a slightly blue tinted white, but I really don't know what the heck I am doing. I would appreciate any help with this. I would very much like to have the effects that you have achieved.:)

EDIT: Oh, the blue on the sky is more like the color near the air conditioner.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's 4 pix of the first sky I painted. You can see more at the first page of this thread.

After I roller on the blue on top and the white on the bottom, I take a brush and criss-cross in the middle. Blending down and up to get the graduation of color from dark to light. I almost have none of the original blue or white left when I'm done.
 
Oops again:o !:D
I forgot all about your first post on this. So, you do the blending/gradient while the white and blue are still wet and use the existing paint...right? I would sure have to hurry with latex. I'm by far an artist, but your results are great.:)
 


Oops again:o !:D
I would sure have to hurry with latex.

It doesn't dry that quick. You have at least 1/2hr before it dries to much to blend properly. it only takes me about 10min. to put the 2 colors on and blend. Just remember to finish with very long horizontal strokes to blend the X patterns out. I usually tackle 8' sections at a time.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top