Starting the new layout!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Back from another trip to my Dad's layout.

Got a decent amount of stuff done.

I finally got a chance to start installing the Walther's coal tower that I built.

100_29712.jpg


100_29732.jpg


I love the way it looks against that pretty blue sky.

Here it is in relation to the roundhouse and turntable.
100_29742.jpg


100_29962.jpg


These are closeups of the shims I used to support the dump house track.
100_29972.jpg


100_29992.jpg


Now that I have the coal tower installed, I'm going to have to calculate how much coal this facility can eat up in a day and add service to the line.


Next up is the mock up of a warehouse building...
 
Well, you saw a hint in the last posting of the next project on the slate.

A large warehouse building to block up the holes in the peninsula backdrop. Jos, this is your answer to the question you asked earlier.;)
100_29822.jpg

How do you like that for a little warehouse?!

It's the DPM Tera Surplus Window Warehouse kit. I am making a flat out of it to basically triple the width of it to span the holes. I have 2 ideas about blocking the view through the bottom windows...
1. Brick them up - easy
2. build a false wall behind it and add interior features to add depth to it - hard.

Does anyone have any feedback on an idea?
 


You could put blinds on the windows.

You have enough now to start running ops sessions. When do we get started?

I thought about blinds or window shades but they're not to warehousey if you know what I mean.

I'm up for getting a few people over to run some trains. I don't have any waybills made up or card systems, but I have seen some PDF files and programs that could help with that. The one problem is my eclectic roster of freight cars. They range from old time 30footers, to 1960's boxcars. Maybe I should pick an era (transition) and limit my future purchases to that era. Stretch it abit... 40's to the 60's.

I live in Northern New Jersey, but the layout is in South Jersey, 2 hrs away.
 
I used to own distribution company in a warehouse. The windows were all on the south side and the sun would shine in and reflect off the roller conveyor. We had Venetian blinds.
 
I thought about blinds or window shades but they're not to warehousey if you know what I mean.

I'm up for getting a few people over to run some trains. I don't have any waybills made up or card systems, but I have seen some PDF files and programs that could help with that. The one problem is my eclectic roster of freight cars. They range from old time 30footers, to 1960's boxcars. Maybe I should pick an era (transition) and limit my future purchases to that era. Stretch it abit... 40's to the 60's.

I live in Northern New Jersey, but the layout is in South Jersey, 2 hrs away.

I'm in Northern NJ too, Cedar Grove, Let me know when we're meeting up for an ops session :) ...we don't need no stinkin Waybills and card systems...:D.

The layout is really coming together now. My favorite part is seeing the scenery come together.

J.P.
 
Another section of the layout that I worked on was on the branch line. One of the industries on the line is a DPM Powerhouse. I like the look of this building, with it's Gothic arched windows. It is located on the highest section of the layout, in a rural, more mountainous region. So I think a structure like this will dominate the landscape. I can't wait to see this area in it's completed state.

The only thing I got to do so far is install a board to support the building. It gave me a good idea of how the scenery is going to fit around it.

100_30002.jpg


100_30012.jpg


100_30022.jpg


Here's a quick video of the area. Powerhouse
 
Jos, this is your answer to the question you asked earlier.
Hey THANKS Ron =) ......Howly nice BIG buildings!!
about the windows: maybe you could spray a little bit(!)( airbrush= better-finer)) the backside of the "glass" of the windows of that building in a grey/ocre color as if they were dirty?
just my less than 0.02 cents...

Jos
 
I was just going to suggest what Jos wrote. A light grey coat of paint on the lower windows will fool the viewer into thinking there's something behind the window without much work.
 


That's a good idea guys. I might try that but I think I'll still have to put some styrene behind the first 2 stories because the headlights from the engines passing behind it would still shine through the paint.
 
Hi Ron,

because the headlights from the engines passing behind it would still shine through the paint.
Aaahrg! I didn't thought about that! stupid..( he he getting older...;) )
Your right... just put styrene, or cheaper: cardboard, behind it like you said..

Jos
 
bergen county jersey here. layout is looking real good.

I know there's a couple jersey guys hiding out there. I live in Basking Ridge. There's quite a few train oriented trips near me. In fact on Sunday April 27 the New Jersey Live Steamers (NJLS) is having their steam up. It's only about 5 minutes from my house, but I've never been there yet. One of the guys at my HO club is a member of NJLS. I'm not sure if it's open to the public or invite only... I'll find out.
 
Here's a few pix of the warehouse to come...

100_2984.jpg


100_2989.jpg


100_2988.jpg


I think this is going to be a fun building to make... heck, which ones aren't fun?;)
 
These are the last few images of the work I did at the layout.

This area is going to be a lumber yard and mill work shop. The kit I have for this area is a Walther's . As I build it in the future I'm sure that I'll be snapping some shots and sharing them with you as well.

Prior to working here there was nothing but the L-girder on the bottom. This is the risers installed and the plywood cut out to the basic shape.
100_30042.jpg


These next 2 pix are of the preliminary track plan based off of my original Xtrkcad design. I might tweak it once I started the lumberyard buildings.
100_30162.jpg


100_30152.jpg


Nothings is tacked down in these shots... I have to leave some work for my Dad.
 
I'm assuming your asking where I got the cork from.

I found it on a school teacher supply website. It was a 4' x 12' roll. You can see the jig my Dad made up to cut the roadbed strips evenly. The jig is found earlier in this thread. It also made it possible to cut large cork pads for under yards, turnout crossovers, and under build complexes to raise the to track level.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top