ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Check the prices on rolls of cork sheet at your local HoPo or whatever. Probably cheaper than sheet from your HS. It would be with the drawer liner material in some stores.
Speaking from my own experience and my own biases, yes, I'd go with sheet cork for a yard. I've seen some very inventive use of materials and finishing of yards but I'm cheap and lazy when it comes to my hobbies, so...
I'm sure others will have other (and perhaps better) suggestions.
Did you notice the kink in the one track in the yard? The next to last picture. It may not cause you too many problems, but that spot looks a bit untidy relative to the rest of your fine track work.
@Doughless; Yes I see what you're talking about, but I've ran plenty of trains over it and it hasn't caused me a problem once. That piece of track was a hassle to get in in the first place!
@ho/ttothemoss; Thank you!
@tooter; What are you waiting for? And yeah he does, wish he was the one doing it for me.