Some of my Locomotives...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


wombat457

I'm the one
Evening Guys,

A little while ago I said I was going to post some shots of my engines, well, tonight is the night :)

Img_0150_zps491c3da8.jpg


Img_0143_zpsaab8de8f.jpg


This is one I found at the Batavia Train Show. It is an old DC Engine that was made in Slovania and is one of my personal favorites. Being DC I would really like to convert it to DCC with sound if anyone can tell me what decoder I would need. Can't seem to find any that refer to this make of Engine:

Img_0139_zpsd0443cd3.jpg


Img_0140_zpsc9a14bf5.jpg


Img_0145_zpsbd753711.jpg


One of my two Diesels:

Img_0148_zpscabfe7cf.jpg


The other Diesel I have is a Broadway GP 38-2 with sound and is still in it's box.

The only two engines that are full DCC is the Genesis 4-6-2 and the little Bachmann 2-6-0 which is also a favorite of mine. The others are mainly DC with the exception of the Diesel which is DCC Ready and looking for a decoder with sound.

Please forgive their "dusty" condition - I haven't had a chance to get them into maintenance for a clean :)
 
This is one I found at the Batavia Train Show. It is an old DC Engine that was made in Slovania and is one of my personal favorites. Being DC I would really like to convert it to DCC with sound if anyone can tell me what decoder I would need. Can't seem to find any that refer to this make of Engine:
Img_0139_zpsd0443cd3.jpg
I believe this is an Mehano Mogul. Later released under the IHC brand name. Should be easy to convert. The whole tender can be used to hold a decoder and speaker, so almost any brand will work.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Horseman,

I believe you are right about it being an IHC brand. The name is stamped on the bottom of both the engine and the tender, I just could't make head nor tail of it.

Thanks for the info on the decoders too, nice to know I have options. All I have to do is figure out how to get in to the Tender now. I have pushed, pulled, wiggled, sworn at and pleaded trying to get into it. It looks as though the top of the tender should just "pop off". If it does, I can't budge it. Looking at the bottom is equally baffling as it appears as though the base and the sides are one piece. Perhaps I am missing something, but I would like to get it DCC'd along with my Genesis Diesel.
 


Try taking the wheel sets off Tony. I just went through this same thing yesterday. There was a screw under the rear truck that I could not see.
 
I believe you are right about it being an IHC brand.
FYI, IHC stands for International Hobby Corporation.

I would like to get it DCC'd along with my Genesis Diesel.
I can't say for certain, but I will be guessing you will need to run at least one more wire between the loco and tender. Probably 2, and then maybe 2 more depending on how you want to wire the head light.
 
Thanks Guys and yeah, apparently it will have to be completely hard wired in ... something for an experienced person to be doing I think.

Mike, thanks I'll give that a try and see what happens. After taking a second look that can be the only way in.
 
Id love to know what your solution was as far as setting the IHC steamers up for DCC. I have several and I might like to run them at the club someday.....E
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top