Some cars for the junk yard.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ok --- now the Rich B^&*$S Packard is in the junk yard and has given it's front end to a Packard pick up, but has gained a motor in the deal . The motor is scratched of brass and is a V12 , copied fairly close to a real V12 . Needs painted still.
The timing gears most likely don't jive but I had some little watch gears that I got for next to nuttin on E Bay --a whole bunch of watch stuff --- use it all the time for details. .

Dave
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Showing A bit more of the motor for the Packard.
Also a fuzzy picture of another watch gear used as a ring gear in a dissasembled early ford type differential.

Dave
 
OK --Here are two I forgot --They Prove I really cut up the SAME Hudson I showed you! Also some of a 49 Merc ragtop about to get rustcancer !!
 


Awesome Dave! You are the Leonardo da Vinci of scratch building salvage vehicles....:)....Don't get you started....:p......just kidding....keep 'em coming.... I really like the watch parts for timing gears.


Mike
 
Awesome Dave! You are the Leonardo da Vinci of scratch building salvage vehicles....:)....Don't get you started....:p......just kidding....keep 'em coming.... I really like the watch parts for timing gears.


Mike


HHmm.?-- not sure how good that is , seems to me that I remember da Vinci almost got burned at the stake !! The watch parts are very nice for details , cost next to nothing --find em on E bay for a few bucks for a hundred plus parts all the time, used some in the door of the 40 Ford coupe as a regulator , if you look at one or two pics of it you will spot it.
First thing I did to the Mecc was divest it of its hood , put in a firewall and a grill that looked more stock that the Pontiac grill it had. Then the cancer got the rear qtr.

Dave
 
More Merc. Seats pretty well done . The grill looks a lot more like a 49 Merc grill afyter I put a piece of black foil inside it so you cannot see thet the grill has a back coil as well .The Seat fabric is cigarette pack foil paper run thru the corrugator tool and painted to look like leather. I have a top frame built for it that will be partially raised, twisted, sprung and the top frabric shredded and tattered. Probably will build a motor for it as well, stick on some flat tires and that should do it. Plus of course a dash. Any other suggestions to make it better?
Dave
 
We'll amend to say the george barris of scratch build auto wrecks.....if that is better. You've given me some ideas....if I can ever get around to modelling.


Mike
 
We'll amend to say the george barris of scratch build auto wrecks.....if that is better. You've given me some ideas....if I can ever get around to modelling.


Mike


OK , I'll take that --as long as George does not object --he is still around you know and still playing with cars!
glad to be of help , I KNOW how you feel about not being able to do any modeling , all of my hobby stuff is already in Colorado , my son came down while I was in the hospital and took a good deal of what has to be moved up there at that time . A Friend of mine just an hour ago called that he had gotten the trailer with my 1972 Ranchero on it unloaded and was comming back tomorrow and would take the 64 Merc. fast back next , then all the cars I am restoring or hotrodding will be there . Man it takes about 600 $ in gas to haul ONE car up there! Whew!!
Oh well---" if you want to have eggs for breakfast you pay the going price" that is what Carol Shelby told me when I was about 20 or so and was pitcrewing for him at a race in Salt Lake City,the dealer I worked for sold Cobras and Carol needed an extra hand so my dealer sent me. :cool: Any way Carols Cobra had torn up many more tires than expected and he was out of tires -- he sent me over to another racer to buy a couple from him -- the guy wanted about 5 times what they should have cost :eek:, so I went back and told him that --- thats when he gave me that little gem that has stayed with me ever since , AND I went back and got the tires , A Shelby Cobra won that DAY! I have no idea how the italics got turned on and I can't seem to shut them off! :confused::mad:

Dave
 
Well , I got rid of the Italics !
Now in the ever present dilemia of all humans we always want what we can't have. ME I want to scrap cars that no one makes a model of-- I have solved some of that with making Pick up trucks with other models, now I want some advise on if anyone thinks my latest brainstorm is feasible. Look at these pictures . One is a 47 Hudson convt , the other a 47 Cad convt. I think they have close enough lines that with a bit of work and a change of grill or removal of parts of the front end to make the Hudson out of the Cad. 1947 Cad converts I have ,Hudsons are not made. Whats the verdict --think it is a reasonable idea?
 
OK here are a few more comparison shots to help visualize the transformation. The front fender shape could be corrected by using 40 Ford front fenders, the hoods both have the flat flare that rooll into the fenders . I am more and more leaning to giving it a try .
Dave
 


OK here are a few more comparison shots to help visualize the transformation. The front fender shape could be corrected by using 40 Ford front fenders, the hoods both have the flat flare that rooll into the fenders . I am more and more leaning to giving it a try .
Dave

By what I've just seen (been busy the last few days) I'm amazed you're still pondering about this.

I don't know whether to hate you or love you (well your work and vision anyway). On the one hand I'm thinking "how dare you do this to cars and utes that were the things of my dreams" when, as a youth in NZ back in the 50's, drooling over the pages of various hot rod magazines and after much saving, the owner (at 19 or 20), of a 1937 Ford business man's coupe'. (paid 360NZ pounds, about US$1450 at the time) when a '40 Ford coupe' (the ultimate dream, apart from a 46-48 club) was selling in US caryards for $75.

Although there is some common ground. The aforesaid '37, I put on it's roof and bent it quite badly (if it had been a modern car with it's safety? crumple zones or as I call them "self wrapping coffins"), I probably wouldn't be here to tell the tale, so i guess I'm in the 'prototype wrecker' business. At least I still have the scar in my scalp as a keepsake.
 
I loved the story about working with carol shelby. My dad got a job selling ford cars and his boss gave him a brand new 1968 mustang demo to drive to work and back....and park in our driveway. That was the first new car we ever had....and my status in the neighborhood increased with that deal! The hudson and cadillac look close enough to substitute I guess.


Mike
 
By what I've just seen (been busy the last few days) I'm amazed you're still pondering about this.

I don't know whether to hate you or love you (well your work and vision anyway). On the one hand I'm thinking "how dare you do this to cars and utes that were the things of my dreams" when, as a youth in NZ back in the 50's, drooling over the pages of various hot rod magazines and after much saving, the owner (at 19 or 20), of a 1937 Ford business man's coupe'. (paid 360NZ pounds, about US$1450 at the time) when a '40 Ford coupe' (the ultimate dream, apart from a 46-48 club) was selling in US caryards for $75.

Although there is some common ground. The aforesaid '37, I put on it's roof and bent it quite badly (if it had been a modern car with it's safety? crumple zones or as I call them "self wrapping coffins"), I probably wouldn't be here to tell the tale, so i guess I'm in the 'prototype wrecker' business. At least I still have the scar in my scalp as a keepsake.


No reason you and I should be at odds --- other than that I actually GOT the 40 Ford Coupe and for 175 US Dollars at that when I was 20.
Put a 324 inch bored out 50 Olds motor in it.
I was a hotrodder from an early age --my First car was a 47 Chev. convt--with a bored out GMC 6 cyl. ( another 324 incher!) got that when I was 14--- cost me 112.50 $ --- no driver lic. needed in my state at that time -- lic. law was not passed till 1960 or so.
I wanted to get a 40 Ford Convt. with a full race Flathead (296 inch) for 150 $ but I made the mistake of telling my dad when he asked " sounds like a nice car , hows the motor" . I stupidly told him "thats the best part , Its a full race flat head !
You ain't buying no hot rod Ford boy" and he stuck to it! When I found the Chevy , and asked the same question , I told him only that it was a 6 cylinder!
I always wanted to build a 27 T roadster , on a deuce frame, and haunted Junk yards looking for a 10 dollar or so roadster body , but even in the 60's 27 bodies were scarce, I was part of a 3 way partnership that ran
a 27 roadster in C Fuel class , but wanted one of my own for street. Never found one but did see a lot of junkyards , saw some cars then for next to nothing that I still can't believe I did not jump on! One Yard in Salt Lake City had, about 1961, 2 Chevy convts , a 40 and a 41 that were complete except a fender or other small items , not wrecked , just plain run out and tired. They could have been had for 25 bucks, of course at the time I was only making 175 bucks a month and had just got married , a bit different now than when I was single, living at home and bought the other hot rods.
Perhaps that explains why I like junk yards enough to build one, my kids all understand , they grew up being hauled to junk yards all over the place and remember it fondly even my daughter. Lucky guy , I am!

Dave
 
I loved the story about working with carol shelby. My dad got a job selling ford cars and his boss gave him a brand new 1968 mustang demo to drive to work and back....and park in our driveway. That was the first new car we ever had....and my status in the neighborhood increased with that deal! The hudson and cadillac look close enough to substitute I guess.


Mike


Mike , it was only one afternoon , but it was pretty neat, and he did teach me something about life that has stuck with me ever since , it kind of taught one to realize priorities .
I think I will go for it when I get settled in Colorado , watch for a step by step on it!

Dave
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well this post was about a boneyard, and as I have said, seems thats where I almost went in the process of getting my artery fixed!
Now --on the backside of it I can see some humor in my ordeal -- was NOT funny at the time , now it seems VERY funny .
By the way it is about two months now and the no smoking is going great! However I need to make some friends who smoke Marlboros ( SP?) because they have the nice patterned foil paper lining the box that is so handy in modeling.

Now to the funny part of this deal , while in the hospital with the complete shutdown of my kidneys due to the artery operation dye, and the humongous volumes ( 2 -3 GALLONS AN HOUR) of fluids and antibotics they were running thru me with tubes going in and more tubes to take it back out hoping that on the way thru it would do something for my kidneys, it did something all right --- washed virtually ALL the pottassium out of my system .
When that happens you hallucinate --BIG TIME-- total paranoia -- but to you it is completely real --- I suddenly realized that the big headed bug eyed gray aliens we supposedly had at area 51 did NOT come from space --they were not born anywhere --- they were MADE right here in THIS LAS VEGAS HOSPITAL and I was being made into one!! I called everybody I knew and begged them to come get me out --save me , I almost convinced a few of my friends but not enough to come and bust me out! I called my boss at work and I think he came the closest to believing me -- maybe because he is retired air force with all kind of top secret clearences or is just gullible --not sure which. Probably Gullible --after all he kept ME on 11 years!:confused:
So there I am for about 3 -4 days in total insanity so to speak --- what really makes me laugh on the backside of the whole thing was that when I began to get my head together, when my potassium came up and my kidneys started to work again and I realized I was NOT going to be an Ailen ----- I was actually a bit dissapointed for a while!:rolleyes:
My company just had a little gig saturday to Notice my retirement , very nice party actually , very nice of them , especially in that they don't usually do any of that especially after only 11 years ---- after the official stuff was over my Boss said he had one more thing that he thought I might like ------ A Coffee cup with a picture of an ALIEN GRAY on IT !! :eek:

Dave
 
Ah, that crack about the '40 coupe, that was really rubbin' my nose in it. Ironically at the time I was looking for a coupe, I was offered a '40 Ford wellside pickup (had similar grille to the 39 sedan) for 50 pounds but 'cause coupe's were the "in" thing turned it down. Oh for some foresight!

But a '40 convertiblble with a worked flathead, Oh,Oh Wow! Only in the realms of fantasy in NZ back then (more so now). Still think the flathead with all the gear is the best lookin' and soundin' engine ever.

As a kid, whenever the chance arose i.e. could afford the admission, used to go to the local midget races. One of the racers there had a shiny black one with loads of chrome that glinted in the track lights, #99 was his number, but the best part was the V860 and the twin exhausts, a sound that lives in memory.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that crack about the '40 coupe, that was really rubbin' my nose in it. Ironically at the time I was looking for a coupe, I was offered a '40 Ford wellside pickup (had similar grille to the 39 sedan) for 50 pounds but 'cause coupe's were the "in" thing turned it down. Oh for some foresight!

But a '40 convertiblble with a worked flathead, Oh,Oh Wow! Only in the realms of fantasy in NZ back then (more so now). Still think the flathead with all the gear is the best lookin' and soundin' engine ever.

As a kid, whenever the chance arose i.e. could afford the admission, used to go to the local midget races. One of the racers there had a shiny black one with loads of chrome that glinted in the track lights, #99 was his number, but the best part was the V860 and the twin exhausts, a sound that lives in memory.


Sorry to rub it in so bad BUT you are right about the sounds of a hopped flathead , ever hear an Ardun Flathead? The are Jazzy!~! Another couple of beautiful engine sounds are a hot Olds V8 running unmuffeled , they have a strange ( as compared to other GM V8's firing order and a sound all their own, also a Riley overhead converted 4 cyl. model A 0r B motor -- ever hear an Arial square 4 motorcycle motor ?- thats how a Riley sounds. ALL sweet music!
Bet we soon get told this is a TRAIN HOBBY SITE! :eek:
Dave
 
No worries.....we are just a hot rod/junker diorama in the middle of a big train layout.....they know that! :p

Here is some trains. That's us out in the middle somewhere....use your imagination.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


No worries.....we are just a hot rod/junker diorama in the middle of a big train layout.....they know that! :p

Here is some trains. That's us out in the middle somewhere....use your imagination.

That's what you call a railfan layout, railfan. Reminds me of my Hornby Dublo layout.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top