Some cars for the junk yard.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


As I said I am making cars in 1/64 scale ( hot wheels size) to have a stand alone diorama eventually --- I have close to 200 cars to do, not all hot wheels. I started with them , would have liked to do the yard in HO but at 16 $ and up per car !!! There are a LOT of vehicals made in 1/64th that are very nice and don't cost an arm and leg so I have other brands to wreck , like this Mercury ,about 6 bucks , even that gets costly when one talks about a hundred or so. :(
Here are a few I have done , got many more if there is any interest.
Dave
 
I love seeing those junkers! You have a nice variety there.


My N scale layout's going to have a railroad junkyard diorama and probably an auto/truck salvage too. I have a big box of unopened new mini-metals semi-trucks, vans, autos, some other trackhoe excavators, numerous other vehicles I plan to paint, weather, and customize.



Mike
 


I love seeing those junkers! You have a nice variety there.


My N scale layout's going to have a railroad junkyard diorama and probably an auto/truck salvage too. I have a big box of unopened new mini-metals semi-trucks, vans, autos, some other trackhoe excavators, numerous other vehicles I plan to paint, weather, and customize.



Mike


Mike ,
I can't even think about trying that in N scale!! .
One thing I can possibly help you with is to tell you to use disposable aluminum baking tins to form body panels you want to crunch. like the one on this 40 Ford decklid before it was painted.
 
Very good looking models.

These are some I have in HO from resin castings. They were off-casts and so were very cheap.

DSCN2611.jpg


DSCN2612.jpg


DSCN2613.jpg
 
Rumpled and Crumpled. :)

One mans junk is another mans treasure. I was carrying an old full featured but worn out broken Sony home theater receiver to the dumpster one day, when my friend Jim stopped me and asked if he could have it. I said sure you can have it....but it's broke and likely can't ever be fixed.

He said no problem he definitely wanted it because he'd never had a broken stereo that good before. True story. :D

Mike
 
Well Mike , I guess I will show you more of the junk I treasure.:rolleyes:

I had this hot wheels thing they called a 40 Ford pickup--- looked more to me like it should be a Hudson pickup -- see if you see it that way too.

First step was to get a grill more like a Hudson in . With a door gone an interior is needed. The carpet is cigarette package foil painted black. It also makes great running board covers after running them thru the tool I made to make corrugated roofing in HO.


Dave
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Yes...I see what you're saying about the hudson. Your interior looks believable.....really good for scratching with available cast off materials. Those are normal hot wheels size cars? Slightly bigger than HO? Nice! :)


Mike
 
Getting ever closer to complete salvage yard condition.

Dave
Dave, that Hudson will make a great diorama.....is one even by itself! Love seeing your work.

Shortly after getting into N scale train stuff this past january 2012......I realized I loved the diorama aspect more than anything. It's a bit of a challenge in the small N scale size......and I haven't made much progress yet because I'm packing up to move to a new residence soon.

But in a month or so.....should be settled in and ready to set up train/track layout again and do some modelling I hope.

Mike
 
Yes...I see what you're saying about the hudson. Your interior looks believable.....really good for scratching with available cast off materials. Those are normal hot wheels size cars? Slightly bigger than HO? Nice! :)


Mike


Yes Mike --1/64 which is hot wheels size --In fact this WAS a hot wheels.
I learned long ago to look at everything to see not what it is -- but what COULD it be, which I think every modeler does --even if he is unaware thats what is going on. The radiator in one of these pictures is the ribbed edge of a CD case with extra cuts from a razor saw.The rear end was made from some pop rivets and pin bases from some eletronic gizmo, the head light is a split bead soldered to a straight pin. Happy you like em!

Dave
 
Yes Mike --1/64 which is hot wheels size --In fact this WAS a hot wheels.
I learned long ago to look at everything to see not what it is -- but what COULD it be, which I think every modeler does --even if he is unaware thats what is going on. The radiator in one of these pictures is the ribbed edge of a CD case with extra cuts from a razor saw.The rear end was made from some pop rivets and pin bases from some eletronic gizmo, the head light is a split bead soldered to a straight pin. Happy you like em!

Dave
Is that the same truck that was sparkly blue before? If so.....how did you change color?


Mike
 
Is that the same truck that was sparkly blue before? If so.....how did you change color?


Mike


Perhaps with Paint?? :o
Good eye there Mike --- No ----the one I made the Hudson from was green to start with , the sparkely Blue one is one just like it -- I did not think of needing one for comparison till after the Hudson was done.

Just for catching that here is another Hudson --this one not done yet but,
I did cut the same car I started with. Here is a picture of another Hudson pick up. I used this NA.S.C.A.R. Hudson , old timers may recongnize this as Tim Flacks Hudson , ran so good that nascar found a way to shut him down because no one else had a chance --something about a carburator screw as I recall. Lifetime ban!! This is how far along it is --the bed is made and you can see the rest.
Did you know Packard also made a pick up ?? Yup----- I am doing one of those as well , don't have it here to show , already in Colorado. I have another Packard tho --a 34 that looks to have had an encounter with a can opener --wanna see it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is proof of the Packard truck. Also a picture of the kind of Packard I used part of to build the pick up and the one that ran into the can opener. I also used another 40 ford hot wheels beast in the Packard pick up --along with front fenders from a 35 Ford! Thats right --- in my delusions , I think I am George Barris!
 


OK here is "Packard meets can opener". There is even a Prototype for this!! This car is a BUICK but the injury is about the same. The Buick most likely got fixed but MY Packard belonged to a VERY RICH crotchey old crone who would NOT be caugt dead in a REPAIRED car--so off to the junk yard for it. Yes---- I have a ficton writers guild card!
Dave
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top