Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Boy this thread petered out....I guess I will have to post some of my slug units I have acquired over the years....

Although some the posts here are amazing examples of work on the slugs and B units...wow.


James, OK I'll bite. Pay close attention to the front 3 units.

20191004_180543.jpg
 




I love that DL109 loco that Proto1000 did,...the only DL109 in plastic, ...particularly the Santa Fe one. SF was one of the few lines that had a B-unit for that engine, so I gathered up a few extra to kitbash into a powered B-unit
https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...20-and-a-b-unit-for-dl-109.21934/#post-279599

18969-4cc241bbd98df40ff640349635ded605.jpg


But I have yet to finish that project. In the meantime I bought a BLI B-unit that looks almost like it belongs behind that A-unit,...and it has sound & DCC already in it.
1604583934266.png
 
I love that DL109 loco that Proto1000 did,...the only DL109 in plastic, ...particularly the Santa Fe one. SF was one of the few lines that had a B-unit for that engine, so I gathered up a few extra to kitbash into a powered B-unit
https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...20-and-a-b-unit-for-dl-109.21934/#post-279599

18969-4cc241bbd98df40ff640349635ded605.jpg


But I have yet to finish that project. In the meantime I bought a BLI B-unit that looks almost like it belongs behind that A-unit,...and it has sound & DCC already in it.
View attachment 120421


I always liked the DL-107s thru 110s even though UP never had them I thought the nose on them were awesome!

A units (cabs)[edit]
B units (cabless boosters)[edit]
RailroadQuantityRoad numbersModel
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway150ADL-108
Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific (Southern Railway)26425, 6426DL-108
Southern Railway12954DL-110

 
Since ALCO is so skeered of crickets, I'd thought I would case a bit of noise . CSX RMDT 2225 has been around for quite some time, but never appeared on this thread. It's a Proto GP30 that has had its fans removed and doors plated over as per the prototype. The remaining doors at the aft end have had louvers installed , and she kept her dynamic fan, all per CSX practices. I did 3 of these at one time (all appearing in an RMC article) 1 I decorated in the clob scheme, I was painted in a Chessie fantasy scheme by its eventual owner and the 3rd unit I did the CSX paint. Sharp eyed folks also spot the artistic license I took with the "mother" unit.
2225.JPG

40resized.jpg
 
Since ALCO is so skeered of crickets, I'd thought I would case a bit of noise . CSX RMDT 2225 has been around for quite some time, but never appeared on this thread. It's a Proto GP30 that has had its fans removed and doors plated over as per the prototype. The remaining doors at the aft end have had louvers installed , and she kept her dynamic fan, all per CSX practices. I did 3 of these at one time (all appearing in an RMC article) 1 I decorated in the clob scheme, I was painted in a Chessie fantasy scheme by its eventual owner and the 3rd unit I did the CSX paint. Sharp eyed folks also spot the artistic license I took with the "mother" unit.View attachment 122085
View attachment 122086


Karl,


There is a place called Wildwood Fl....they had and may still have them.... there are a few CSX GP30s 2 of them are slugs. One of them literally has concrete poured in the fuel tank reservoir! I don't understand that but they did it....if you do a google of it on google maps you can see some shots of them. It's just an hour north of Plant City Fl where the double diamond crossings are..... I used to hang out there too for some RR action.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top