Simple and Effective Weathering

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


funnelfan

Member
I've been working to redevelop my weathering techniques using common water based paints. I've had some success lately, and thought I would share. First off, the car is a Atlas Trainman car that I bought on the cheap. The cars are simple and durable, perfect for club use. I've seen these Greenville and Northern floating around in SRN patched reporting marks for a while, so making a model was a natural choice.
I found a good photo of the car I wanted to recreate, and used it as a basis for the weathering. First step was to cut down a salon nail board so it will fit between the ribs and lightly sand the lettering. I sand until the lettering is soften and faded, but still largely intact. (the effect is hardly noticeable in the photos, but apparent in person). Now using just two colors of acrylic paint from Micheal's and some rubbing alcohol, I was able to do all the weathering you see. The two colors were Black and Iron Oxide Brown. First I mixed a bunch of black with a touch of brown to create the large patches of dark rust (particularly on the roof), and I also dabbed small points all over the car for the various rust spots. And then I painted the truck sideframes. At this point I set the car aside for several hours to let those patches dry. Next I mixed a half and half mix of brown and black and then diluted it in the alcohol to create a wash. I washed over the whole car streaking downward. If the paint was too light, I'd dip the brush in the paint a little, and then a quick dab in the alcohol. If the paint was too thick, I swirl the brush in the alcohol. Either way, it was easy to maintain a consistent wash over the car. The alcohol dries quickly and the resulting flat finish is durable and will stand handling. The wash will somewhat erode the dark patches from before, but creates much more realistic look in the process. After a basic wash, I start apply streaks of rust in logical places using a less diluted version of the wash. Where the water collects and runs down the side of the cars is where you want to apply the streaks. Also apply streaks from the bottom of the dark patches toward the bottom of the car. Using prototype photos helps a lot in this regard. Finally comes the dry brushing. By dabbing the brush in the straight iron oxide paint, and then brushing most of the paint off on a paper towel. You can then use the mostly dry brush to highlight details. Try the trucks first, and highlight the springs, bearing caps, and other features the stick out. Next dry brush a tad of fresh rust in the dark patches, and around details that stick out. Using photos will help you understand the nature of the rust. You'll get the hang of it in no time, but always remember to not over do it. It's way too easy to go way too far in weathering a car. Use photos to gauge your progress. Next I will need to do the SRN patch.
 
Thanks for the technique! I gave this a shot today and had some success. I'm new to weathering, and this method sounded simpler than most. Overall it turned out well, with a few things that I learned and will work on for the next one. On one side, the brush wasn't completely perpendicular during the wash, so the streaks came out a little canted. On the other side, part rubbed off during reassembly (probably because the cheaper paint I was using). I'll pick up some Dulcote and see if that seals it. Anything I can improve on?
DSC02752.JPG

DSC02754.JPG

Sorry, I couldn't get the pics to upload to the MRF server...you'll have to deal with the big pics for now.
 


Thanks for the links...I was looking around on rrpicturearchives.net for a good hour, but they only had more modern boxcars.
 
Good read on the simple way to use water based paints. I haven't yet purchased an airbrush set and will be able to use this technic when I return to work. They tend to frown on transporting flamables while heading to an offshore drilling rig.
 
I would be sure to seal the paint with Dulcote but note any streaks from the alcohol (white color streaks) will fad away when covered with dulcote.

They all look nice guys.

Dave
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top