ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Wow, that is one of the finest models I've seen in any scale. The little details, like the bolts and rivets, are outstanding. How long did it take you to build?
Thanks, actually I don't know how many hours. But it took 2 months. It would have taken longer but I had made the same caboose in 'O' scale a couple years earlier so I had a lot of construction details worked out when I started this one.
That is a beautiful caboose Brian. Definitely one of the finer points about the larger scale modeling is the mass amounts of detail that is in the them. Like Jim stated already about the rivets and bolts they just seem to jump right out as do the chains. Fantastic work.
No, I haven't weatherered it.....yet. I'm waiting till USA Trains comes out with thier caboose trucks so I can put them under it. Then I'll think about weathering it.
My first is an old Athearn BB that I cut down and use as a transfer/shoving platform on the mill local.
The second is......danged if I can remember but I bought the box on the flat car from the hobby shop in Savannah, GA years ago on vacation. This is used on the hot metal train from Ahl Iron to the foundry on the second level and then shoved back.
The third is an old Athearn BB that I got from a friend, plated over the windows and turned into a radio contol unit. Very amatuer job but it has a cleaning pad on the bottom and flashy blinky lights on top. I use it in the Baldwin yard to keep the hard to reach tracks semi-clean. The decals are homemade and are running like a turkey the day before Thanksgiving. All need weathered and will never be any where near the quality of the DT&I above, but on the Carlisle, Newville and Western ugly is the norm.
Rich
I am not into the weathering deal, but I do have a few cabooses or cabeese whichever is correct. I will start with my shortline it is a PRR bobber that was purchased very very cheap. This railroad showed a $.02 profit last year which was a 100% improvement from previous year.
Her are some on the caboose track at Clifton Forge yard.