I've built my bedroom size layout hand-laying track and building in place turnouts with powered frogs. I have 4 ( that's right four ) reverse loops that allow me to facilitate a longer main line run. There is a track diagram in my photo album here.
I have many "older" engines all DC. Atlas GP-40, Alco C420, Alco RS-11, Athearn F7 ,GP-9, GP30. GP35 GP38 Kato NW-2, Walthers FA-2 Intermountain F3, Stewart FT. All DC.
My operation consists of Car card, waybill and I usually run one mainline train at a time. The yard is a separate circuit with a double pole double throw selector switch that allows for it's own power supply or mainline power.
Ok, questions;
If I were to go with a DCC system for the same type of operation, which system is best suited ?
I'm basically interested in the sound feature of the DCC system and know the decoder is the item that has to be matched to the engine. Any suggestions ? I remember seeing a page somewhere here that had such a list but like a lot of things my memory is getting shorter with age.
I worry about the sensitivity of short circuits as there are occasions where the solder will separate and allow the points of the turnout to short. Will this destroy any DCC system ?
I'm not overly concerned with the price factor. I've waited long enough to be ready...I think. Looking forward to your responses.
I have many "older" engines all DC. Atlas GP-40, Alco C420, Alco RS-11, Athearn F7 ,GP-9, GP30. GP35 GP38 Kato NW-2, Walthers FA-2 Intermountain F3, Stewart FT. All DC.
My operation consists of Car card, waybill and I usually run one mainline train at a time. The yard is a separate circuit with a double pole double throw selector switch that allows for it's own power supply or mainline power.
Ok, questions;
If I were to go with a DCC system for the same type of operation, which system is best suited ?
I'm basically interested in the sound feature of the DCC system and know the decoder is the item that has to be matched to the engine. Any suggestions ? I remember seeing a page somewhere here that had such a list but like a lot of things my memory is getting shorter with age.
I worry about the sensitivity of short circuits as there are occasions where the solder will separate and allow the points of the turnout to short. Will this destroy any DCC system ?
I'm not overly concerned with the price factor. I've waited long enough to be ready...I think. Looking forward to your responses.
