Shelf Layout Shelfing/Supports

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


One could place a masonite or lino backdrop against the standards/rails and hide them completely, including the gap you mention, Larry.

Or, notch the shelves, whatever they comprise, and they'll push back tight against the wall...with the standards showing.

Choices...choices...

-Crandell
 
Guys, what you are seeing IS Lance's backdrop not the wall. I can't find the write up about it but He uses seamless pieces of Aluminum flashing for his backdrop that hides the rails.
 
Yep. Figured masonite against the standards but the aluminum flashing would be better since you could run it in one piece .. masonite you would have to patch sheets. Here's a close-up of before and after his backdrop .. I noticed it when I saw that the middle of the window had disappeared! :)

Shelflayout.jpg
 


Your right, now I remember that he use a vinyl piece that he wasn't that happy with because there were striations in the material and it could be seen during close inspection.

I believe the explanation that Cory is talking about is in Lance's "News and Help" section.

I am using a bracket similar to what Lance is using in his "Down town Spur" layout that is bolted directly to the wall.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lowes has 20" x 25' ($38.24) .. well it's listed as 'not available'. Think I find it .. need to buy it .. so I'll have it.
 
Guys, what you are seeing IS Lance's backdrop not the wall. I can't find the write up about it but He uses seamless pieces of Aluminum flashing for his backdrop that hides the rails.

Menards sells rolls of roof flashing that comes in up to 18-inch widths (maybe it's 16-inch). Too bad it doesn't come in sky blue. :D
 
Was at Lowe's earlier .. they had the 20" x 50' roll .. for about a dollar a ft. They DID have a 14" x 25' roll. Me .. I'm still at the "how far from the track to put the valance" stage but th 14" may well work. Need to 'mock up' a bit to see.
 
Ok. Interesting. I constructed the layout in 3D .. shelf standards and brackets, hollow-core doors as the 'shelf' .. a valance 15" from the track. This is early and subject to change of course .. but I made a 6" deep fascia to hide the lighting and brought it out to 30" which is 6" past the front edge of the layout. Have no idea if that 6" is good or bad .. seems like a good measurement to hide florescent lighting. Assuming those measurements stay that tells me (what's cool about the 3D .. you can actually see how every thing fits .. or not) that I am going to need about 29" of standard. Makes sense to purchase the longest you can and slice and dice as needed.

Anyhoo .. here's some pics from that last workup. I made the benchwork an fascia transparent so the 'stuff' shows through.

Step3c.png


Step3b.png


Step3a.png
 
I am trying to imagine working on the lower shelf, say wanting to reach in a bit closer to the back to do...something...and I picture the protruding upper shelf being a distinct pain where the sun don't shine. As you turn your shoulders and want to reach, your natural tendency is to lean forward, but as you attempt to do that, you find the front edge of that top shelf right at your eyes or nose. You will be forced to duck much more than normal, twist your back and shoulders in an exaggerated way, and reach in, all the while tilting your chin up severely so that you can follow where your hand is going.

I would seriously counsel having the upper shelf no further out from the wall than the lower deck, and I'll bet it would work well, even with a valance and lighting behind it, about 3" recessed from the vertical plane made by the lower shelf's fascia. Remember, the light will spread out in an arc, so it will cover the front of the lower shelf.

-Crandell
 
Initially I also considered using Shelf Track systems but when you're renting an apartment and you leave massive holes in the wall, the landlord tends to get a little ticked off. I decided instead to go with a self supporting free standing design.
 


The layout will run 10' on the long wall and 5' on the short. The maximum depth will be 24". I'll take the advice on the valance into consideration .. another reason for a mock up.
 
One thing I noticed with my double deck layout is being able to see al the way to the back on the lower level...I have my bottom shelf sticking out 28-32""...where my top deck only sticks out 16"..it allows me to see the entire lower level, (to a point) and I didnt have to light the bottom deck at all.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top