Running Bear's September 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
WILLIE!
This was handed to me during the closing laps of the race! Yummy!
Thanks for the recipe!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Man, that looks so good! But, I can't make it as the rest of the family won't eat it. They hate all that vegetable stuff, which makes it very challenging for me.

One of these days, I'm going to make that cottage pie that I've been dreaming of for a while. If they eat, good. If they don't, oh well.
 
I'm always on the lookout for things that I can make for my layout. I recall somebody on one of the forums mentioned that he
made sacks out of tubing. Decided to give a go. Don't have a 3D printer--yet.

DSC00712.JPG
Searching around my stuff, I found a piece of 9/32" round brass tubing. Cutting it to 5/16" length seemed appropriate for HO scale size sacks. I crimped the ends with a pair of lineman's pliers and flattened the middle in a vise. A coat of tan paint finishes it off. Easy to make. Time to
make a bunch of them to replicate concrete, mason's sand, fertilizer, etc. and intersperse them throughout the layout.

Now I have to get down to brass sacks. (Couldn't resist the pun.)
 


Well one up-side of not going to the train show in Plano Texas (this is the first show I have missed in 15 years) is that I have more money in my pocket for the Oklahoma City Train Show on November 14th & 15th.
The OKC show was moved into a much larger hall last year due to efforts of new promoters really reaching out to vendors, hobby shops and manufacturers and making it a fantastic event.
The hall is 125,000 sq ft. with over 600 tables and 20 plus layouts on display. Admission is $15 with free parking.
There is too much to list here so you can check out their website at : https://www.okctrainshow.com/

The 2026 OKC Train Show will be at the Bennett Event Center, Oklahoma State Fairgrounds.
3101 Gordon Cooper Blvd,
Oklahoma City, OK 73107


I received a brand new set of Athearn Genesis, F3 locos, A-B set, Southern Pacific "black widow" paint scheme the other day. Purchased on another forum from a person who bought these new but never built a layout. Set was $160.00 including shipping which I thought was very reasonable. And I received an ESU Loksound 5 Direct, #58921 from Fusion Scale models (they were on sale) that have the built in keep-alives. These work great in the Genesis F3 locos and I pair them with a Bowser, double sugar cube speaker. It is a drop in replacement with no mods to frame, just getting the wiring done and I replace the Athearn headlight bulbs with a 3 mm LED. It is a pretty slick install.

I installed track bed and two turnouts for the spur to my Champion Packing Plant which will be a Swift Packing Plant on my layout. I hope to get the servos installed this evening and wiring complete. This will finish all of the turnouts on my upper level. The spur track will be put in place when I finish the packing plant so everything lines up. I was going to wait on installing these two turnouts but I wanted to get "get-er done". I'm looking forward to actually completing a task on my layout, check it off the list, so I can move on to the next step.

And yes, I too copy my post because of getting the "OOPS" notice when trying to post my messages.

Everyone have a great evening....John
 
I'm always on the lookout for things that I can make for my layout. I recall somebody on one of the forums mentioned that he
made sacks out of tubing. Decided to give a go. Don't have a 3D printer--yet.

View attachment 274451Searching around my stuff, I found a piece of 9/32" round brass tubing. Cutting it to 5/16" length seemed appropriate for HO scale size sacks. I crimped the ends with a pair of lineman's pliers and flattened the middle in a vise. A coat of tan paint finishes it off. Easy to make. Time to
make a bunch of them to replicate concrete, mason's sand, fertilizer, etc. and intersperse them throughout the layout.

Now I have to get down to brass sacks. (Couldn't resist the pun.)
I have seen where someone rolls out some modeling clay in long "tubes" and then cuts the tubes into bags. Very similar to what you have done.
 
I started adding lights to my bedroom's model railroad display. Everything has to be taken down off the wall, and I started with the bascule bridge. The bridge is a working model, but I plan on keeping it in the open position with red lights warning the structure is open. A commercial fishing boat will eventually be passing under the raised bridge, with train stopped by a red home signal. I just found out I have about 100 colored LEDs and only 1 red one. I'll have to order some. I'll be busy with this project for at least a month being everything gets lighted. Swal

BB_09_27_26_01.jpg


 
It looks like it's going to be time to retire my old iMac. I've gotten something like another year out of it by replacing the screen, but with the impending release of the newest version of Mac OS, it is going to no longer get security updates. I'm going to miss the 27" 5K screen and 64 GB of ram, but unless I want to jack around with Linux, it's time to put it out to pasture.
Isn’t there a way to use it as an external screen or something?
 
We’re back from our quick road trip to Vegas. We didn’t so much as the purpose was our daughter and her friend going to some concert.

Cheapest gas was in Arizona of all places. Taking I-15 down from Salt Lake to Vegas you cut across the upper NW corner of Arizona for about 20 or 24 miles. The middle part of that stretch is a windy path through some canyons and the Virgin River. But the last 8-10 miles or so on the Nevada side opens up to a flat open space again, more or less, and there is a small town called Littlefield. The exit says Beaver Dam / Littlefield and there is a TA truck stop and a Maverik station. And gas was a lot cheaper than Nevada and also cheaper than St George in Utah. (Actually a dime cheaper than the Maverik in Fillmore about half way between the Salt Lake Calley and St George on I-15 and also our home Costco as well). I know where I’m stopping from now on when we drive that way. (Going to S California also goes through Vegas so two different destinations come into play).
 
Last edited:


David,
I think I'm going to turn that little industrial building into a small paint or fertilizer manufacturer by adding a tank set. It will then be a multi-car industry. I may only need one turnout.

These should be just what I need.
David. I believe based on the too many dollars I have spent over the years on Kevin’s products that you will like them. The detail is exquisite.
 
Last edited:
Back from the doc. She said that the inflammation is half of what it was, so that's good. I asked about the stringy and floaty stuff and she said that it's because of the inflammation and should go away once it clears. That's a major relief as I was starting to wonder if I did the surgery for nothing. Replace the asteroids with tendrils and floaties. But, the news was good.

Have another appt on Wednesday and will probably get wet from the typhoon that will still be lurking out there. Hope it makes a right turn, Clyde.

Hmm, watching my house cam right now and looks like Amazon is here. My Kato C11 is probably arriving.
 
Good morning gang!

59° with light rain currently cloudy skies all day with more rain coming in around three or 4 o’clock with a high temp of 68°

And yes, that was it. This is the locomotive that pulled the Imperial train at one time in its life. It had extra paint highlights and the flags that goes in the front. I'll wait until I can see better to start handling it.

View attachment 274463
Looking good!

BBL
 
Well howdy there internet peeps and peepers,

It's Troy again

Busy day today. I go see the doc for my annual.
Then I go to PT first time Post MRI

For some reason I feel like I should be in an MIB movie after typing all of those Initialisms

Then Fuzzbutt goes to the V E T for his toofless check-up. We'll see if he gets to have dry food again. But he's discovered that he likes canned food now. I only tried with three cans, tossing each one, after doling out a spoonful a day for the first 9 days, and tossing it un-eaten.

Something clicked on day 10 and he suddenly acted like Mikey with a bowl of Life Cereal. Now he doesn't want his moistened kibbles (I have 2 bags on the shelf, and one newly opened one.)

In other news: I may have come up with a way to rearrange my benchwork to keep the continuous loop in an L shape and lose the W to get more floor space for an exercise bike and some exercise stretch bands.

Been reading this book:

It's soooooo not written for my personality type, but it has good info, clearly presented. One author an MD, the other a retired attorney.

The doc did die a few years after publishing the book - from an aggressive form of prostrate cancer. Nothing to do with the book's theme of fighting aging.

I asked my assistant Claude to summarize it:

The premise is that roughly 70% of how you age is lifestyle rather than genetics. Their slogan is "Grow or rot": your cells are always either growing or decaying, and daily exercise is the signal that tells them to grow. The rules are:


  • Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life.
  • Do serious aerobics four days a week and strength training two days.
  • Spend less than you make.
  • Quit eating crap.
  • Care.
  • Connect and commit.

They pitch it as a lifestyle change, not a program with an end date.
 
Good morning all!

Monday, Monday......

A little foggy and a cool 46F this morning. Should turn into a beautiful day once that burns foo with mostly sunny skies and 74F.

Not too much on the agenda for today. Since all the laundry was done yesterday instead of Saturday there is none of that today. I do have trim
the yard today. I ran out of time yesterday. I'm sure I will find a few more things to keep me occupied.

Not a lot going on at the moment, lets hope it holds!

Have a safe day everyone!
 


Good morning from my part of Wisconsin. It’s 55f degrees now though it did bottom out according to the NWS at 4am with 53! Much nicer than the low in the 40’s we’ve been experiencing. High later will be 75! I presume Troy can now in his head convert that into Celsius.

The grandson has been playing soccer since he was 4 in some league or another. He is very good as are quite a few of his teammates. Finally after 8 years and only the second season of no coaching drama they are decimating the competition. 5-0 this season giving up only 6 goals and scoring 33 they are truly a team. Yesterday’s game was by far the most complete team game they’ve played. Fun to watch. This coach has banned all parents from the friend during practices and they can watch from the cars in the upper parking lot. No parents on the player side of the pitch when they play. This is a group of parents that over the years have been more interesting at times on the sidelines than the game itself. I don’t miss the crap!

Got home after soccer and watched #6 ranked Wisconsin Women’s volleyball start 5 freshmen and destroy #10 Purdue in Indiana yesterday in 3 sets that lasted maybe 1 hour 20 minutes. The Badger Women VB team is coming together. The Women’s hockey IMO are ranked #1 on reputation. They have 9 freshmen on a roster of 22 and looked very good Friday and Saturday playing unranked St. Laurence in Canton, NY. They played well but I don’t think this team really deserves #1 yet.

Terry’s birthday dinner was out at a brew pub we enjoy time to time. They had sent her a $10 off B-Day gift. When I paid I had to question the bill as it was zeroed out. Turns out we had $62 in rewards points unused. So between the $10 b-day gift and rewards points the bill was zero. 22% tip on a zero bill is zero! No, I am not that cheap. The bill was $56+ so the tip was based on that before taxes, I don’t tip on the tax.

Today is our annual between birthday night out. The last 15 years we have been going to what we consider the best Italian place in Madison.

Enjoy your day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top