Running Bear's October 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Well, it seems I've lost another .3 kg and am down to 58.8 kg/129.6 #. Lowest I've been since retiring from the Nav. I guess stopping the late night snack may be attributing to that, but am surprised since I thought I ate a lot yesterday.

Oh, and I checked MHS Genesis yesterday and saw that my blood work had posted. I am high in three items and low in another, all related to blood stuff. Same 4 items that caused concern with the doc, but a little bit closer to the limits. Something about platelets, blood count, iron, not sure. I am wondering if it is due to me consuming a lot of raw spinach. I have been eating 1-2 bags a week, stems and all. Each bag contains 4-5 stalks. I read in one of the tests that if the number was low, then I might be iron deficient. If the number was high, then something about B12. Not sure what that means, but it got me thinking about all that spinach. Anyway, will start reducing that and go back to lettuce and cabbage.
 
Wife and I just pulled our test sample of the sweet potatos to see how they were coming along and it wasn't very reassuring. We're around day 130 and within the recommended amount of days. We have a lot of leaves and vines, but not a lot of roots it seems. Since they are all stuck inside a low tunnel, we really can't get a good check. I'd like to keep them in the ground a lot longer, but we have some rain guessed in a few weeks, so we'll play it be ear. I tried to pull the tunnel off, but the vines have wound their way around the stanchions and have a good hold of it.
 


Well, it seems I've lost another .3 kg and am down to 58.8 kg/129.6 #. Lowest I've been since retiring from the Nav. I guess stopping the late night snack may be attributing to that, but am surprised since I thought I ate a lot yesterday.

Oh, and I checked MHS Genesis yesterday and saw that my blood work had posted. I am high in three items and low in another, all related to blood stuff. Same 4 items that caused concern with the doc, but a little bit closer to the limits. Something about platelets, blood count, iron, not sure. I am wondering if it is due to me consuming a lot of raw spinach. I have been eating 1-2 bags a week, stems and all. Each bag contains 4-5 stalks. I read in one of the tests that if the number was low, then I might be iron deficient. If the number was high, then something about B12. Not sure what that means, but it got me thinking about all that spinach. Anyway, will start reducing that and go back to lettuce and cabbage.

Too much spinach can cause kidney problems. I've always hated the stuff. You'd have to tie me down and feed it to me in an IV to get me to eat it.
 
Just returned from a really good restaurant, but it was a bit fancy for me. You know when it is over the top, when the waiter goes around the table and unfolds the napkins and lays them on your laps for you!!! More silverware on the table for five than in my whole silverware drawer back home. Went to the restroom and when I got back, my napkin which I just wadded up and laid on the table, was refolded and laid out. And the restroom! There was a pile of sliced Oranges in each of the men's urinals??? I had an excellent Ribeye and Au Gratin potatoes with a salad. Don't know what the bill was since my SIL grabbed the check before I could. OK though, I paid last night when my daughter got two glasses of wine at $30 apiece!
The railroad museum today was mixed. The outdoor displays of railcars and engines was real good. A whole train of 40's and 50's passenger cars that you could walk through. And a companion train of early 70's Amtrak passenger cars with a pair of ATSF F7's, one at each end. Some older salvaged but not yet restored freight cars were also on display along with a few restored ones. Unfortunately the model railroad displays were being rebuilt and the doors were closed and heavy curtains covered the windows. I have lots of pictures, but I have no cables that will connect the camera with the laptop, and no slot for a standard SD card on the laptop.
The hurricane museum afterward wasn't what I understood it to be, but a display and movie in a Library. It was also very good. There are a couple of hurricane specific museums about town also. Not sure that we're making time for them though.
Looks like that hurricane landed about 100 miles east of where we were supposed to be. Still happy though that we went the other way. So, Jim Cantore went to the right place after all!

Later gang. I'm still copying my responses just in case!
 
Good evening folks, hope you all had a good day. Andra hit a local store that has a big meat sale twice a year yesterday and then again today. So last night we had ribeyes and baked potatoes and tonight pork chops with hash brown casserole. Both meals were fantastic, she is a superior cook. Got the last two storage sets in today, so got them together and out to the porch. Close to having room out there to fit the new desk out there. Weather has been cooperating and is cooling off a little at a time. So that makes the porch bearable. Sorting and storing is proceeding slowly. Also, have a little 2-6-0 heading my way with a fried decoder, hopefully that is all that is wrong with it. You guys have a good evening.
 


Thank you Marco. A value (price) for bushes must be shown on the shipping forms and I’d gladly pay but shipping costs plus the tariffs on Swiss products are very high and not worth it at this time. Maybe in 2.5 years we can try
first, i hope terry gets somewhat well! i may did not understand everything.
second. thnx about the hockey insides, i like stuff like this.
third. we will try it in 2,5 years. maybe even after midterms :P

i mean the prize of the bushes is actualy really cheap because i make them myself. so if i send you some bushes in the future thos bushes have not a big value, because the material prizes are very cheap ;) we will wait and see. good things need some time.

happy weekend everyone.
cheers
marco
 
Good morning, Coffee Shop! :cool:
It's Saturday, 57°F (13.8°C) and cloudy in Tipton.
DINER_DOG2.png
1791620651146.png


Have a great day! ;)
 
Well, howdy there internet spy-bots and those who know not to eat the big breath mints (or the orange slices) in the urinals.

It's troy again.

Back is still tender today, so I'll be taking it mostly easy. Doing exercises, walking, and taking the wife out to Bubba's 33. Another localish chain.

I'm not sure what the 33 is? I susupect it's for US 33... They've only got four restaurants total: Two near US 33 (Elkhart and Ft Wayne IN) Two not: Fishers IN and Toledo OH. The place in Fort Wayne took over the old Chilis location.

With a name like Bubba's it's what you would expect. A roadhouse style restaurant. A Big Bar and a lot of sports on TV. Food from pizza and burgers to pounded out breaded pork tenderloins. They do give you cloth napkins, but no one is folding them when you hit the restrooms.

One their app, which I signed up for on our second visit, they gave us a reward for a free 12" pizza. Wife never says no to a free meal. So, we're heading there either today or tomorrow.

I found the Boomer video on making his benchwork. Looks like it's mostly close to 24 in deep.

 
Another one of Boomer's tricks for bench work

In this case it's his lighting valance over the layout. I couldn't figure out how he had it supported. I didn't see any brackets other than the back edge resting on the backdrop. Yet it supports his LED light fixtures?

Finally found it in this video:


Like a cable-stay bridge. Thin yet strong wire off the wall down to eyebolts in the valance "hood"

Problem solved. I can pull that from the wall to the hood (once I build it). For the island peninsula, I'll drop through the drop ceiling from the floor joists above.
 
Seems like expensive wood. It would make sense as you don't want to have to do any milling, but that's very expensive over here.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top