Running Bear's October 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


67F here now with rain off and on today. Ran some errands and almost have the demo module done. Remembered I needed to do a bit of quick work on another module so I got that done. Van is almost loaded for tomorrow, just have to choose which trains I am taking to run. Mostly my DC stuff as we ran into clean track/wheel problems with the DCC last show. So I am also taking a wheel cleaner along.
 
I got the labs back several hours ago. The Foley caused a UTI that now I'm taking antibiotics for. This saga doesn't seem like it's ever going to end. A call to an attorney is not yet out of the question. This is the last straw. One more unexpected complication and I'm picking up the phone.
Man, that sucks! I heard that happens sometimes with cats. But I agree, that nick should not have happened.
 


Still tough for me to read with the black background.
If you want to get rid of the black background on the forum:

All the way at the bottom of the page, lower left corner is either a moon icon, or a gear icon. that's your background page color

Screenshot 2026-10-02 at 7.20.08 PM.png
 
Still tough for me to read with the black background.
i hear you. I don't really have problems during the day but really struggle with it for some reason at night.

Every year the eye doctor says no changes or glasses needed, but then again I have never mentioned that I have trouble seeing the monitor in the evenings. Probably something I should at my yearly December appointment.
 
In all the pipe testing I have done as a fitter, full pressure and hold for 1 hour.
Speaking of pressure and holding.

On the Mover and Gonky show today they did a thing about the most popular booth at some military trade show that’s going on.

It was a pump and bag system for peeing in an F-35. I guess that’s harder than the other planes and they need a special system.
 
Keep getting better
September 14th was the first sign of significant improvement. I have been doing a little better each week since.
this is going to be a good baseball playoff season.
I agree! I have already seen some great pitching.

Speaking of pitching I'm wondering how far the Brewers' staff can take them. I think this year is their best chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jacob Misiorowski make his first postseason start. The wonder kid has the stuff of an Ace, tonight we find out if he has the heart and soul of one. I do believe we will see a new postseason record for velocity.
May Angela have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Thank you, Willie!
 


I got the labs back several hours ago. The Foley caused a UTI that now I'm taking antibiotics for. This saga doesn't seem like it's ever going to end. A call to an attorney is not yet out of the question. This is the last straw. One more unexpected complication and I'm picking up the phone.
I understand your frustration. I know you have been through the ringer but hang on it is almost over. Stay positive and enjoy the little things, you had a beer! 🍻 I had one with you, halfway across the country, but I thought of you as I cracked open the can.

I bought a 12 pack of Budweiser (no lectures! 😃) just before the 4th of July. Today I saw we have 6 left; my wife likes an occasional beer. I haven't had an entire beer for longer than I can remember. I do get a taste now and then when my wife opens one.

DC traffic was... DC traffic. After dropping my wife at the airport, I didn't get home until after 7pm. I usually nod off 3-4pm. And I do little after late morning. Being tired from the unusual and long day I chose a beer for dinner "liquid bread" as my Hungarian mother-in-law called it. That might have been the best beer ever! Perspective can change everything.

I saw a sign on a new liquor store advertising Yinling's original lager. I plan to stop and buy some. I don't remember the price, but I am a sucker for advertising.
1791015198959.png

God is with you my friend and our thoughts and prayers are with you too. Your train buddies are always here for you.
 
Fun Fact

For 35 straight years — 1960 through 1994 — the Baltimore Orioles posted the best cumulative regular‑season record in Major League Baseball, finishing with a combined 2,971–2,632 (.530) over that span.
This isn’t just an Orioles fan talking — this is a well‑established statistical fact in MLB historical analysis, and it’s one of the great underappreciated achievements in baseball history.
 
I understand your frustration. I know you have been through the ringer but hang on it is almost over. Stay positive and enjoy the little things, you had a beer! 🍻 I had one with you, halfway across the country, but I thought of you as I cracked open the can.

I bought a 12 pack of Budweiser (no lectures! 😃) just before the 4th of July. Today I saw we have 6 left; my wife likes an occasional beer. I haven't had an entire beer for longer than I can remember. I do get a taste now and then when my wife opens one.

DC traffic was... DC traffic. After dropping my wife at the airport, I didn't get home until after 7pm. I usually nod off 3-4pm. And I do little after late morning. Being tired from the unusual and long day I chose a beer for dinner "liquid bread" as my Hungarian mother-in-law called it. That might have been the best beer ever! Perspective can change everything.

I saw a sign on a new liquor store advertising Yinling's original lager. I plan to stop and buy some. I don't remember the price, but I am a sucker for advertising.

God is with you my friend and our thoughts and prayers are with you too. Your train buddies are always here for you.

Thank you for thinking of me. I put off having a beer until this UTI is eliminated. My nurse didn't tell me not to, nor are there any medication warnings about it, but I just as soon keep alcohol out of my bladder until this is finished. The JP drain did not have any more fluid in it this morning for a 24 hour period than when the Foley was still there, so it would seem my bladder has sealed up nicely since the injury. That is something positive I can hang onto.

It's 48°F chilly degrees out here in the sticks. It didn't really feel that cool when I was out with Willow a few minutes ago. It's cool enough to try out my new M-65 field jacket with liner. Mighty comfy just like I remember for these temps.

I might cook on the grill later since it's supposed to be very nice and sunny today. Pancakes in a few minutes!

Everyone have a good Saturday.

Servus!
 
Good morning all!

Should shape up to be a perfect fall day. A bit cool this morning at 43F. High for today is heading up to 68F with plentiful sunshine. Not a lick
of rain in the forecast.

Have an all day away volleyball tournament today. Probably wont be home till later this afternoon. No other plans for the day except if we feel
up to it after being gone all day we might go somewhere tonight for the anniversary dinner, but that's up in the air.

Nothing else going on around here at the moment.

Have a safe day everyone!
 
Good morning. It's a crisp 78 and mostly cloudy.

Now that I have all these engines, I need to start gathering up decoders for them. The decoders are going to cost more than I paid for the engines, but I at least have the digiframes for most of the non-DCC ready ones. Two I'm not sure if I want to take up the challenge are the Concor MP15, which doesn't even have room for the smallest z scale decoder, but runs extremely well as-is, and the Concor/Kato E7a, which is basically a big block of metal with the motor directly connected to that block of metal for electrical connectivity.
 


Good morning from the Land of Cheese and less but bigger lakes (total acreage) than our westerly neighbor of 10,000 lakes. It’s cool at 41f degrees and a guessed high of 62. My app says the overnight low was 39. Our area’s 1st frost is typically between 10/1 and 10/15. Up north about 100 miles it’s from 9/21 to 10/5. I like the pretty flowers hanging around in the nice pots.

The grandson has an away soccer tournament 15 minutes away but the 1st game is at 8 and the temperature will be about 44 but feeling like 33. We’ll go to the 2nd game at noonish. This tournament is actually time wise closer by a few minutes than the home pitch is for the team from our place.

I wanted my deck expanded from 12’ long x 6’ wide to something bigger like 12x12 but the quote from our contractor was the price of a cheap (now a days) car. I’d like to grill and have a few places to sit out there. I like just going out on the deck and relaxing anytime I feel like it if the weather is cooperating. Terry used to join me but with my grill and only 1 chair it’s not the same. Putting the grill on the patio on ground level is now the plan in the Spring. No, I am not getting a smaller grill, the 4 burner gas fits our needs very well. Terry says about 80% of our dinner meals are cooked on the grill by her or mostly me. We’ll adjust to going down to grill. There is just no value added by expanding the deck.

Today other than the soccer somewhere around noon is to clean the studio some and take a few pictures of the canvas I am painting. I thought I had posted some previously but I guess not. I was asked why the uptick in painting? I needed a break from model railroading, especially trees! I also have (proud to say) a joint gallery showing with 2 others at Thanksgiving time that I am told by the gallery owner is a great time to sell for Christmas. She will show 25 canvases from each of us but wants at least 2x’s that many there to show interested buyers. I have no style as I paint what I feel not so much what I see. Maybe an impressionist? Monet had his series of Haystack paintings. I have a few pictures of the grain bags that we see around Wisconsin and other Midwest farms. Those long white plastic storage things. But mainly no people or rarely mechanical objects in the painting. I paint free style as I have no actual training. It reminds me of my time as a kid designing and coloring golf courses, then drawing floor plans and later the walls around them. I called it doodling.

Why start to paint after 70? It’s not just that I enjoy it though I do. My health issues in 8/2024 took a lot out of me and I lost the natural (for me) feel for weathering freight cars which was until it became too intense a great sense of joy and release for me. Painting is almost the same feeling now. I have gotten back into weathering (mainly diesels) but while it’s no longer a series of frustrations it’s not natural yet but I keep moving towards that feeling

Enough of me, enjoy the day
TomO
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top