Running Bear's October 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good morning. Happy October! I've been waiting 12 months for this. First cup of coffee going down now and I leave for the hospital in 10 minutes for my final CT scan. I hope I can get this catheter out of me too. It has now become not only an inconvenience, but an irritant as well. It's causing bladder spasms from time to time that don't feel very good a little farther 'down the pipe' to the entry point.

The drain has not collected hardly anything for the last 24 hours. I think there might be 10ml of normal serous fluid inside it.

It reached 87°F here yesterday. Two degrees hotter than I thought it would be. St. Louis got 93°F, five degrees hotter than forecast. Forcasting 83°F here, 86°F in the city, and then rain late this afternoon into evening and overnight. I'm forecasting enough to wet the sidewalk.

Have a great 01OCT!
 


Good Morning All. It appears that the rain gods have finally found their way here. It's 68° and raining heavily. From afar, it looks like I have 2.5"-3" in the rain gauge, all but a quarter inch fell since midnight. Unless something significant pushes it off east, it looks like it will be around for a while. A couple more inches is in the forecast through Friday.

Today is the weekly grocery trek, and if the rain doesn't complicate things enough, we're having a visit from POTUS today in Denton. My normal route to the grocery store passes within a quarter mile of the Peterbilt plant where he's speaking, which in turn is next to the major highway reconstruction of the IH35E & IH35W merge. Expected traffic morass with the media out of Dallas; I'll take one of the alternate routes. And the flood warnings all over the place will make the trip even more exciting! I'd postpone until tomorrow, but I have an important appointment with the spine doctor at 9:00.
POTUS will have his own issues since DFW airport is the closest place to land. There's a municipal airport directly across the road from Peterbilt, but will Marine One fly in the rain??? Or will they motorcade from the airport??? It's about 30 miles. Don't know how soon they might close down IH35E (which I use) if Secret Service chooses to drive. And that will be a royal mess in itself due to the timing.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I set aside the figure-painting stuff for now. Did a few more minor detailing projects, another vehicle here, a few more figures there and a couple of trees on the upper level. Ran a couple of trains as I began to clear out the south staging yard in preparation for the layout cleaning. I am intending to work this sector backwards from south to north (layout-wise); and meet up with where I left off in the previous sector.

Troy -
I get the sense that the doc just wants to fill his surgery calendar.
You don't say??? My company insurance would pay for out of network treatments if the in-network doctor referred me. Once I went on salary in 1978, I had no choice of insurance plans, it was almost Cadillac all the way with the company paying 75% of the premiums. We paid $0 for all three kids! So I was spoiled for quite some time. It remained the same until I dropped COBRA and went on Medicare.

The late blues guitarist Albert Collins was born on this day in 1932. Saxophonist Jerry Martini of Sly and the Family Stone is 83 today. Martin Turner, bassist, songwriter and singer for Wishbone Ash is 79.

Everyone have a terrific Thursday.
 
@chadbag said (in last month's thread)

Blasphemy. Bela plays banjo. But while he can and does play blue grass etc he also plays jazz and fusion and stuff. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is a wonderfully awesome band I’d recommend others look up on YouTube.

This is a pic of me and my kids when they were young with Bela Fleck in Moab after a concert with Bela Fleck and Chick Corea. The second pic is me with Chick before the concert while he was waiting to be introduced by the long winded Lt Gov. This was 11 years ago.

Bela has long been known to come out to talk to people after his concerts. I’ve talked with him a few times after Flecktones concerts. He doesn’t always come out though.

Here's the album... not into this one. I like the Bela and Flecktones... but this one was too banjo-y, and too soprano-y for my limited taste in bluegrass.
Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 8.40.04 AM.png


There's more songs than just those two...
 


Good morning all!

Another rainy day in store. Currently its 56F with light rain falling. High is only going to reach 69F. Rain is supposed to be with us till evening. We
had 1.2" yesterday and could possibly see another 1" today. At this rate we will be mowing till November.

Usual stuff around the house this morning before I have to run to pick my daughter up at 11:30 for an Orthodontist appoint and get her back
to school.

Today my wife and I celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. No plans for it but will probably go somewhere for dinner over the weekend.

Have an away volleyball game tonight. Its fairly close but our dinner options will be limited.

Have a safe day everyone!
Happy Anniversary.
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with anniversaries, birthdays, or just still happy to be on the green side of the world

It's Troy again

Just got back from taking the wife to see the rheumatologist. She's getting an additional medication to take every 2 weeks by injection... IF her chest xray comes back clear. Seems that living in Los Angeles for 5 years increased her risk of being exposed to a couple types of fungal infections. So the xray is to make sure her lungs are clear.

Being a biologic, it'll be be pricier than we normally see.

In other news: she interviews for a potential new position with the same company tomorrow. With three people that don't know her. After being at the same company for 30+ years, most everyone in the local-ish area (those who worked in the lab end or in the project management side, have at least heard her name, or been on calls with her.

This position is one she was encouraged to apply for, by two her supervisor, and another supervisor in an adjacent department that works closely with her. So positive vibes all around, but it's still intimidating to interview with three strangers when she's been with the company for so long.

Since it's a video interview, I'm in charge of lighting, but can't drill holes in ceilings, and she doesn't want her desk moved. There is a window in front of her, but it will be first thing in the morning because one of the people on the interview is in Europe 6 or 7 hours ahead. He could probably wave at Marco from his office in Geneva.

Fortunately, she's got a floor lamp with three tilt-able lights. New daylight bulbs in two of them. Then some stiffened felt and Gaff Tape to do some negative lighting, and let the lamps bounce off the wall, the ceiling, and the white window shade in front of her.

Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 10.57.49 AM.png

Her desk is to the left of the lamp, beneath the window shade.

Probably won't hear anything until next week about the position at the earliest. And it's pretty much a position that really fits her experience and knowledge base. But the company requires a full and serious interview with three people above the level of the job she's applying for.

Nerves are high right now. So I'm hiding in my cave unless I have to go out. Then it's salute, and "YES DEAR!"
 
I wouldn't. I'd label that as against company policy.
Using our phones is a requirement for our jobs. We are required to use out phones to take and submit photos, track hours and times, order parts from our parts department, and view official company videos and training films. The parts department, not as much, but an operating smart phone is a requirement of employment here. Don’t like it? Don’t work here.
 
This just in:
Our COO showed up this morning to perform some administrative tasks for the company, and discovered he couldn’t access his email. Things are now in process to relax the rules for internet access. It doesn’t surprise me things only get taken care of when somebody higher up is affected by their policies.
 
Good morning folks and Happy Anniversary @migalyto ! 83 here and supposed to hit 91 with rain this evening and tomorrow. Minor annoyance this morning dealing with the switchover from one insurance company to another with turning 65. At least my insurance is still paid as part of my pension, but a minor irritation. It seems like the new company is easier to work with, so that is an improvement. Train show on Saturday, so will have to get up early.
You guys have a good one.
 
Here's the album... not into this one. I like the Bela and Flecktones... but this one was too banjo-y, and too soprano-y for my limited taste in bluegrass.View attachment 274630

There's more songs than just those two...
That’s his wife btw. She is also a banjo player.

I saw the two of them at an outdoor venue in Park City many years back. I prefer the Flecktones music but I’m fine with banjo and blue grass.
 
Happy Anniversary Mike!

CT went well after she was finally able to get the IV in. First the right arm, and the vein blew out. Which is strange because that is exactly the location I had one inserted while in the hospital.

On to the left arm. Four punctures later, and she got it in.

Images showed no contrast leakage outside of the bladder from any angle or any slide. I'm not a professional, but you don't have to be a plumber to know a pipe is leaking.

I messaged my nurse and asked her to get someone to read the CT today so I can get these tubes out of me. TODAY GD it!

Second good note; I'm cleared for a few beers finally.
 
Happy anniversary Mr and Mrs Mike.
Today will be the 97th day of 100 that we have had 90 degree F in central Alabama.
I just saw on tv where there was a train derailment in downtown Maplesville, Alabama.
No injuries or hazardous material, but the boxcar frames and wheel sets must be gathered up. Some rail repar is required so traffic in downtown will be rerouted for several days.
 
Wow, and I thought Terry's place of employment was a little whackadoodle. Mine is also a little weird. We lost our Service Manager at the end of July. We were supposed to get a new one today. That now has been postponed until sometime next week. Our General Manager was let go today, and our used car manager is on vacation this week. We are a group of Indians with no Chief ! The only persons left with the title of manager is the Parts Manager and and the Finance Manager.
I swear, this place goes through managers like I go through underwear!
And no, I don't want the job! It's a suicide job!
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top