Running Bear's July 2025 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I eat very little bread anymore, but when I do it's an organic sourdough made with just a few basic ingredients.

organic flour, water, organic sourdough starter, and sea salt.

If there's more than that other than maybe an enzyme I won't buy it.

I used to make my own bread, but I've gotten lazy.
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those with muffins. It's troy again.

The 3D printer was user error. I put the build plate back in cattywampus and it was making spaghetti. Got that straightened out.

I believe I mentioned that the silverware drawer in the kitchen was acting up and I had a broken Drawer Slide end bracket in the back of the cabinet.

Found a set on Amazon, ordered them, and they're too small for the hefty rails this old set has. Then I realized: Dummy! You have a 3D printer!

They don't have to bear much weight, and they're not exposed to sunlight, so PLA should work fine. I found a file of the same design I ordered from Amazon, Upscaled the by 20%, and wah-LA!

Brackets.jpg


Printed another once I knew that one fit, and now both sides have new brackets.

Also went to the hearing aid place, and got the teeny tiny little wax guards that fit in the receivers, under the rubber domes. I was down to my last two of those, and don't go back in for tune up for another month.

Right after I got the chicken breasts out and put them in the marinade, wife came down to ask if we could go out to eat tonight. She has to get some prescriptions for her mother and drop them off tonight. So, twist my arm. Chicken can wait until tomorrow.
 


Now that I have MLB.TV and a subscription to Baseball Digest's achieve. I have more than enough to occupy my time. I gave up on computers when the profit for selling a PC dropped below $1000. I have always been a cherry-picking mother...

Now if I could get some energy to work on my layout. I'm making progress on that too, my health, not the layout. The healthier I get the more I am checking off on my to-do list. The layout will come.

In the meantime, Christmas is coming!
1753206817479.png

This boxcar will be available at the end of September 😁
 
@bnsf971 @Patrick and any other computer experts I bought this computer for my wife from Costco. She wants to make videos.

MSI Codex R2 B2NVN7-450US Gaming Desktop – Intel Core Ultra 7 265 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5060 Ti 16GB – 32GB RAM DDR5 6000MHz RAM – 2TB M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive – Windows 11 Home $1499.99​

I know I got the "horse in front of the cart" by asking after the fact, but I was wondering what you think. It was $200 off and the "While supplies last" got me.
Bruette: Only my take on things - way over powered just for editing video's, text editing and probably web surfing...etc. Even if she is going to create video animations, still overkill. It will pretty much spend almost all of its time waiting for human input. Nix on W11 Home. Go W11 Pro on any machine you get. You should be able to get a suitable machine for 1/2 that cost or less.

L8r
 
You should be able to get a suitable machine for 1/2 that cost or less.
Costco had one for $699 and Microsoft's AI said it would work for video editing. If it had been for me, I would have gone for it. Being it was for my little Angel; I went bigger than usual.

She didn’t blink an eye when I bought my Lionel Vision Line Amtrak GG1 with all the addon cars for nearly $3000. Which is still in the box.
Nix on W11 Home. Go W11 Pro
I can upgrade through Microsoft’s store. What are the advantages?
 
I know you’re asking Louis. But.

The ones I’ve bought at the store taste like cardboard. They were keto white bread equivalent. Costco and Walmart and other grocery stores here carrying carried it but I don’t remember the name.

There are probably ones I’ve not tasted that are good. But the ones I’ve tasted were not bought again.

And speaking of bread. I don’t eat a lot of breads but occasionally splurge. I like multi grain breads and stuff or a good sourdough. But the very best is a good bagel. With butter and cream cheese (or alsonwith salmon and stuff if we have it but we usually don’t).
I love bread of all types but have severely limited myself. I like a good dark rye and good artisan sourdough. Terry likes an occasional sourdough but that’s about it.

The taste like cardboard is actually what I feel many of the brands out there taste like. It just doesn’t pay for my time and effort to start making my own breads again. I’ve never been in a Costco but have done some groceries at Walmart.
 
Louis: You did fine. I agree with ctlibby, that you should have gotten Win11 pro. Advantages are that it has additional security and isn't as locked down as the home version. Nice thing about a midrange machine is that it won't be outdated as fast as a lower line machine.

NorthBrit: I saw that earlier as was reading here before posting. RIP Ozzy!
 


@Bruette but quoting TLOC just above: "It just doesn’t pay for my time and effort to start making my own breads again." [...]

I'm crossing posts here, because he's talking about bread, while you used to put together your own line of PC's, but what he just said about time and effort is really the point: Time and effort, how much do you want to spend (or not have to).

If you wanted to get back into the component plugging business...or just build your own PC as a one-off...you could. But you got out of that business many hardware generations ago now (and there have indeed been many!) and bought your new one off-the-cuff, with enough of an idea about what she wants to do with it that you were OK buying it...and it'll do what you want I do think.

ctclibby points out that it might be more than you need, and since I focus myself on gaming rather than content creation (video) I will not disagree when he says you could have spent less and still got a good PC for video work. But having MORE PC power than you need isn't going to be an issue as long as it checks off all the boxes, and I think yours does. Plus, she's yer angel. And you can just gaze at her instead of watching Youtube videos or reading articles about latest PC hardware.

As for Win 11 Home vs. Pro...I will agree in that I have thus far always bought Win Pro when I build myself, as with the Win 10 Pro PC I'm typing this on. Worth looking into an upgrade perhaps, but I wouldn't let them talk me out of more'n $50 for it myself.

I will avoid the Win 11 vs. Win 10 debate for other good reasons. :D

---------

The PC buying business these days is as close as most people will come to commodities trading, in that the prices can jump all over the place and availability is often the bigger problem. Get caught up too much in that--building your own the way am--and it can leave you staring at the ceiling in frustration.

Instead of at your wife in admiration...which you obviously do. Good for you.

---------

I just recently bought a slew of hot new hardware myself, all sitting there over there in a pile staring back at me. And I'm going to equip it with Win 10--Ten--IoT LTSC. As you say though, it's just buzzwords and numbers unless you really WANT to or (sigh) feel you have to delve into the details.

If you do, make sure you have antacid handy.
 
Last edited:
The taste like cardboard is actually what I feel many of the brands out there taste like. It just doesn’t pay for my time and effort to start making my own breads again. I’ve never been in a Costco but have done some groceries at Walmart.
If cardboard is how you'd judge most bread (and I'm not arguing it), then the KETO bread I've had is 3 layers of cardboard, extra done.
 
I don't know anything about PCs for video creation. It sounds impressive. I would have gotten a Mac. Tons of video software out there (as its a standard in industry).

But good luck. I'm not trying to start a war or criticize someone else's purchase or needs or anything. I got tired of platform wars back in the late 90s.

I have a bread machine, and it actually made a pretty good bread. I was making my own multi-grain/multi-bean flour using our Nutrimill and the bread was awesome. But it's been a long while since I did it. Time, trying to eat less bread, etc all contributed. However, we now have a steam oven as the second over in our kitchen and the wife wants to try and make some bread in it. I was thinking she could use the bread machine to make the dough and then transfer it over for rising and cooking to the steam oven. We'll see.
 
Time and effort, how much do you want to spend (or not have to).
Amen to this thought. This is why I have Macs on the desktop and Dells in the rack. I just want to get stuff done, not tinker with the hardware that does it. Computing is no longer my primary hobby like it once was.

Same reason I bought a Bambu X1C for 3d printing; it just works most of the time.

It was a much different story when I was younger. Back then you built it yourself or you ended up with a POS Packard Bell or something. ;)
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top