Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVI

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Gosh amighty! Darn it Bill, those bubbles breaking are LOUD! Oh! coffee, thanks.
Except for the fireworks and a few gun shots, had a quiet night.
May 2015 be a pleasent year for all.
Flip
 


Good morning, and happy new year. it's clear and 21.
Heading off to the venue to place our trailers inside for the RV show. I see the flu is at epidemic levels in our area, I hope I don't end up with it. I'm taking a half gallon of hand sanitizer with me...
 
Good morning gang, and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you!

Haven't done much mrr lately because of holiday/family commitments, plus trying to find myself a truck that won't cost me thru the nose in monthly payments. The ideal candidate would be a 4WD with <50K miles on it from an earlier model year, since the newer ones are in the $20000-30000+ range - way beyond my budget. Older trucks with low mileage are as rare as hen's teeth, I visited a couple of nearby dealers who seemed to offer great deals but one of them pulled and bait-n-switch, another one made a "late discovery" that the body had a lot of hidden rust on it.

Well, I finally found one in Northern VA: A 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500LS with only 48K miles on it. In addition to being a 4x4, it also has QuadraSteer [for maneuvering in tight spaces] and remote start [great for icy-cold mornings]. I have to wait until Friday to close the deal since that's the earliest anybody will be available to drive me back down to NoVA to pick it up. In the meantime, I need to get my Solara fixed up so it will be safe for my 19yr-old daughter to drive when she returns to college on Jan 8.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
 
Good morning, and happy new year. it's clear and 21.
Heading off to the venue to place our trailers inside for the RV show. I see the flu is at epidemic levels in our area, I hope I don't end up with it. I'm taking a half gallon of hand sanitizer with me...

Good Luck, Terry, and be careful. I don't know how you can avoid what you cannot see, that being airborne virus particles. Monday, before Christmas, mid day, I began sneezing continuously. Tuesday, my nose ran like a river. It was all down hill from there. Christmas Eve, Christmas Day were mostly spent in bed. Went to the Docs this past, Monday, as it turned into Bronchitis, and started anti-biotics. I'm still having issues 11 days later, and yes, I had the flue shot.
 
Morning All,

HAPPY NEW YEAR! So far today I have removed the impellor from the pool pump (making loud noise), Put up 2 coat racks in the laundry room for MOH, Painted some repaired plaster work in the living room, and doing my laundry. The only other thing I want to do today is attach the new UP5 to the fascia and connect it to the loconet. I am still waiting on the power supply (optional). The UP5 will work without it but it pulls power from the base station unless you have a power supply. Later today everyone is going over to Mom's for supper.

I hope everyone has a great day.
 
Find them here and there Louis...think that one's Scottish.

I have also seen it attributed to Confucius... Which doesn't mean it is not Scottish. (For instance, the Golden Rule is found in some form in the sacred writings of just about every world religion.) But whatever the source, well chosen. Happy new year.
 
Curt- You're working harder at home than you did on your job.

What the heck is a 'UP5"? Must be for your DCC, I'll guess.
Flip
 


Afternoon All,

Just added the UP5 and tested it. Also painted touch up on the fascia around it. Since I was vacuuming the mess up in the train room I decided to vacuum the upstairs.

Phil- A UP5 is a non-duplex connection where you can plug the hand held throttle into the DCC system. It uses telephone type jacks. Some throttles have to be plugged into a panel to communicate with the loco. I use them if the throttle or loco lose their minds (electronics). I just wanted to add it for more flexibility. I do want to add 1 more on the inside section of the layout.
 
Good evening.
Today went about like I thought it would.
I had seven guys committed to work today at ten am.
Two showed up an hour late.
One of the guys that did show up on time got broadsided in one of the company trucks inside the building. The guy that ran into him claimed that if he hadn't been there, he wouldn't have run into him... No crap, moron!
So, tomorrow we will have to deal with insurance companies as well as take care of the normal business of the dealership and the added business of the RV show. Oh,mand the owner of the dealership came down sick this afternoon.
Sigh...
 
Good afternoon all. It's a new year ! Still feels like the last one. Was way up past my normal bedtime last night and slept in. Started off at minus 2 and got up to a tropical 24 above today. Checked in on TapTalk a few times during the day when I came up for air. Been down in the train room a good part of the day working on getting streets laid down.

This is an experiment. I have never done this before but figured it would be worth a try. I started with cheapie styrene "for sale " signs and started on the big jig saw puzzle. To start off with, I needed to establish the center line of the street. Once this was done the signs were spray painted a concrete color on the back and the work of piecing them together started.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php


A gray primer color was used for asphalt streets, while the main street isd concrete, like the were bck in the 50's. Once everything was painted and fitted together, the styrene sheets were glued to the plywood surface with a spray adhesive. I have a couple of more pieces to fir in, and then the joints in the concrete will be done and sidewalks added. Then a bit of weathering will be added.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php


attachment.php


So far things are working out. I was a big pain in the butt, but hopefully everything will work out and then lawns, trees and other details can be added.
 
Happy New Year, Best wishes to all!

Hi and good afternoon,
It's been quite cold in my area, easily down to 30* or lower as my car was covered in front last night. Here's what WW says: Sunny outside 47.8 °F - Feels Like 47 °F, the winds are from the West at 3.2 mph & the Humidity is at 55% now at 4:30 Pm and increasing to 66% by 11:00 Pm. The High for today was 50°F, the Low will be 29 °F.

I've got the back room with the computer closed off and heated up and got the heater going in the garage where I going shortly.

I brought in the NY while painting the window castings for the Horseshoe Meadow Depot, that was a just as I wanted it. Now I have to finish filing the Mullins of the 12 pains in the large windows to clean them up and then do the six or eight smaller ones so I can paint them a Depot Buff color and then get the window glazing put in them.

I used the window glazing on the windows in one of the Old Time Climax Loco's I got and found if I set it on top of a couple of blocks of wood across the vanes of the oil heater on the 800 watt setting and lay the well filled in widow area flat on it's side it dries the window glazing rather quickly, within the window opening and looks great and it's fairly clear to see trough too. So now I'm quite excited to to do my other Loco's and Cabooses as they look so much more finished with the glazing in place.


Say Chet, that's quite a large city scene you have there, really starting to look great!


Back out to the train room, talk with you all later.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya gang!

Oh it felt good, slept late, stayed out of the garage, took it easy today, for tomorrow we shall be frantic. We have work coming out of our ears at work, and a day off before a weekend makes the natives a little crazy. They don't understand that we book 5-7 days in advance, and we not be leapfrogging them ahead of the folks that we already made commitments to. We do hold some space for EMERGENCIES, but a squeak or rattle is no emergency....car wont run..thats an emergency.

Got about 23 items listed on eBay today,,,,took about 4 hours between pictures, packaging, weight and typing. If interested, they be here.

Phil, you gotta play catch up with the tech here! In fact, Curt, you need to also! I only need 2 UTP's (Nce's version of a plug in port) Mostly I just use a radio throttle or my cell phone,,,no need to plug in!!:D Speaking of techie stuff, I got the new layout computer from #1 son last week. New motherboard & processor, a little of this, a little of that, my old hard drive,and now that layout has had JMRI restored and upgraded from XP to Win 7. Cost me a whole 40 bucks. ;) Love that boy!! ;)

Meanwhile #4 celebrated by playing guitar in a band in Nanjing China...

...KevinplayinginChina.jpg

Oh David, the little Penn Line locos are 4 wheel drive and weigh about a half a pound! That's why 14 cars is no big deal to it. but you say you have a 6% grade? :eek: Are you modeling a roller coaster?? :rolleyes:

Montana,,,,,the streets are sweet!! great Job!!

Tomorrow night is the 1st meeting for me of the Western Maryland Historical Society......gonna try not to get kicked out my 1st night! :rolleyes:;)

l8ter gang!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Montanan .... Those are impressive layout photos with the streets under construction.

Today .... I shortened the frame of the Mack tractor for my Burlington tractor/trailer truck. The tractor frame was about 3" long, and I reduced it to about 2" long. I made the truck from an Alloy Forms / Ulrich die cast metal kit last month. I did not like the length of the tractor frame, and now I think it looks better.

It is the red truck in this photo.

trucks_zpsdc43ff02.jpg
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top