Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVI

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


pouring_coffee1-Copy.png


Good Morning! Today is Sun 1/4/15.

Falling temps with rain/snow later. Not much going on today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png


trainwreck.png


Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN



5d6398a3-5ea8-49e9-a8e5-cd09f54d84ae_zpsc51d3c89.png

IN MEMORIAM - JEFFREY WIMBERLY​
 


Good morning. It's cloudy and 49, heading for a high of 67, with rain. By Wednesday night, it is supposed to be 9.
 
Here's what we have to look forward to in the Great White North today and this week. The house is doing a lot of creaking and groaning this morning.

A good day to hunker down in the basement, work on the layout and watch hockey and football!


Weather.jpg
 
this place isn't the same without jeffery, sigh
Maybe we need to have some members do some "rattle can" paint jobs and post pics of them here.
Also, we could also have members post tips on how to do things economically like Jeffrey did on his layout.

shrug2.png


5d6398a3-5ea8-49e9-a8e5-cd09f54d84ae_zpsc51d3c89.png

IN MEMORIAM - JEFFREY WIMBERLY​
 
Gary, I had a taste of that last winter...................a lot of extremely cold weather for us. It seemed like it would never warm up and I was working outside all winter! I'm the little guy, the fourth from the right.

1972272_202379659972649_823247529_n.jpg



And one from 140 feet in the air. The temp wasn't -31 but it was close to 0 degrees..........the wind chill was unreal!

1507071_189416367935645_1589459972_n.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Wow, Bob .... You look cold. ..... I recall one winter working in Michigan Upper Peninsula. Lots of snow. One time back then I drove a Chevy Blazer over the Mackinaw bridge in a blizzard. Very scary driving! It was only 2 or 3 days later a Ford Bronco was blown off the bridge by strong winds killing its driver.

Yes, we miss Jeff's posts. Does anyone have their own Franken-Diesels?

CUrrently, I am cleaning my streetcar tracks because my Bachmann Peter Witt trolleys are finding all of the dirty spots and stalling.

Happy Model Railroading
 
I was cold and felt old! I got my 4 wheel drive stuck once and wore so many layers of clothes that I could hardly move. I NEVER want to go through another winter like that again! So far our winter has been fairly mild, even warm on some days. It looks like that is supposed to change this coming week, with temps close to, or even a little below zero, before moderating by the beginning of next week.
 
Good morning folks.

After a somewhat mild December, we have been reminded of what winter has to offer. We had a few inches of snow last night and now it's minus 6! Next up, gusts of 30 to 40 miles per hour! Oh joy, oh fun! I was going to take the Christmas trees to the city compost site today but I think that'll have to wait. I think I'll wander down to the train room instead.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.
 
Good morning everybody!

59 with light rain in southeast Baltimore at this late hour in the morning.

I am way behind schedule after waking up and watching the Ravens beat the Steelers like a rented mule. I was pleasantly surprised by the play of the Ravens patch work secondary and the front 7 was outstanding! The offense did it's job as well. Look out Tom Brady and the Patriots here come the Ravens! Like the old saying goes "offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships"

Then I had to do my weekly grocery shopping.

Bob I have never worked in temperatures below zero, but I can tell you from experience single digits are too low for me!

We all surly do miss our Jeffery, but one thing I learned from Jeffery is you can make the most out of what you have. We need to make this the best coffee shop it can be to honor our friend and the coffee shop's namesake. it was Jeffery who first made me feel welcome here and this is where I feel closest to him now.

Garry what versions of the Bachmann Peter Witt trolleys do you have? If you tell me you have a Baltimore Transit co. version you will make my day! This Christmas I bought Bachmann's On30 Christmas trolley set and it is so very cool, I love watching it run back and forth in my Christmas village.

P1011698.jpg
 
Louis ..... You have a good suggestion for remembering Jeff. I think we can honor him by adopting his positive attitude. During one phone call, he told me the phrase "I can't" is not in his dictionary. We should remember that. ... My streetcars were on sale with the internet retailer picking the paint scheme, and mine are the Los Angeles scheme because of that. That turned out okay for me. My city is a fictional city, and my National CIty Lines transit buses have the same colors.
 
Garry that is classic Jeffery, there was nothing that man could not do!

That was a stroke of luck for you! Better to be lucky then good I always say. I am really falling for these trolleys, Bob warned me they are addictive! The good news for me I have only found 2 different On30 versions and On30 is perfect to me for my O gauge trains. If you get a chance I would enjoy seeing a picture of yours on your great layout.
 
Morning all. I still haven't warmed up from yesterday and see that more of us have wonderful winter weather. 6 above this morning

CMMR, I feel your pain. Burlington Bob must be nuts to work out in that cold, but I guess people will do just about anything for money.

I misjudged the snow we had yesterday morning, it was closer to a foot. Spent about three hours plowing the driveway in the 12 degree temps. It's a bit hard to judge in the picture, but there are some snow piles that are almost 4 feet tall, and some not in the picture even taller. Running out of room to put it and we are supposedly under a winter storm warning with high winds and anther 4 to 8 inches of snow possible. The snow doesn't bother me, but if the winds blow, I guess I will be drifted in, again.

attachment.php


After plowing, I went down stairs to a nice warm train room. Looks like that will be on the agenda again today. Bill, I do a lot of projects with rattle cans. It can be a real pain to fire up an air brush for a simple project that needs about 20 seconds of painting and than have the clean up time on the air brush.
 
Currently, I am cleaning my streetcar tracks because my Bachmann Peter Witt trolleys are finding all of the dirty spots and stalling. Happy Model Railroading

Try one of those TCS keep alive units. I like the Peter Witt cars, but the flywheels in them are too small to have any real effect. Have you tried a Bowser Executive Line PCC or one of their New Orleans cars? The drive is more mainstream, though you do lose some interior detail.
 
Louis ..... You have a good suggestion for remembering Jeff. I think we can honor him by adopting his positive attitude. During one phone call, he told me the phrase "I can't" is not in his dictionary. We should remember that...
Still, it can't hurt to see some frankendiesels and get some low cost ideas. We have some great modelers here and I'm sure they have some ideas to pass on.

5d6398a3-5ea8-49e9-a8e5-cd09f54d84ae_zpsc51d3c89.png

IN MEMORIAM - JEFFREY WIMBERLY​
 


Bob warned me they are addictive!

Louis are you sure that wasn't me? LOL! Something about the trolley bug biting hard? Here's just how addictive they are:

PortlandCombinethreequarterA.jpg


BoxmotorSideA.jpg


CSLPullman.jpg


SNBerryCar2.jpg


PE102.jpg


AlsPccs2-1.jpg


PeterWittBirneyCars.jpg


ConCorBostonElevatedRW.jpg


And a work in progress:

steeplecab2.jpg


SteeplecabChassis1A.jpg


And what's truly nuts is all of these are set up to run off of overhead wire! All because I did a product review for the Peter Witt car in Model Railroad News! I found out how much fun they are to play with and that was that!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top