Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_5602.jpg Sorry for the sideways picture. Sending from my phone. Upstate of South Carolina winter wonderland! Not getting above freezing till tomorrow afternoon. Staying home with Netflix!
 
Good morning fellers. An 8° start here. Snow is sticking around for a few more days. Weatherman predicts 60s next week by Tuesday. That is ofcourse until this morning. 50s now. They seem to never know what the weather will do anymore. Anyways high of 20° today sounds good for me to work on my blue box locomotives some more. Need to paint my air tanks for the Geep and work on its lighting. And ofcourse work on my SD40. Hopefully I can get her back on track. I'll need to get the wheels back in order. I have a feeling that's what killed my last motor. I may attempt to isolate the motors as well fix up a ground wire to the frame. Apparently from what I'm told that helps? Only one way to find out I reckon.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
Yeah, that's what I thought when I ran the tally on the Bill of Material. It's a big bridge, about 6' from end to end and lots of detail to it. I haven't bought the material for the top deck that the ties sit on. I still haven't decided on the hand rails and maintenance stairway. That should be another $100 or so of material.

Find out what the cost of the real ones materials were Ken, then you won't feel so bad.
 


Yep, those global warming rascals are dragging that stuff all over.
Your track kinks - It's your bench material that is doing the shrinking. Either the homasote or the wood underneath. You'll figure it out.

No biggie, I'm about to tear it up and do it almost all over again. Industries for switching action to "make" trains at and looong loops to run, run, run on.
 
It's now 26, still snowing. Looks like nearly a foot deep, now. I shoveled out the sidewalk, and a spot in the yard for the dog to pee in. I'm going to sweep off the truck, and drive it out to the end of my road and back, since the plow or salt sprayer trucks haven't been around yet. Maybe I can keep that spot open at the end of the driveway.
 
No biggie, I'm about to tear it up and do it almost all over again. Industries for switching action to "make" trains at and looong loops to run, run, run on.

Actually, leave the homasote and benchwork in place. It will eventually settle into a final state. Just have to relay the track without the kinks.
 
Good morning gang.
28 degrees with light snow. Holiday decorations will be packed away today, and the weekly dust & vac of the basement (for me, SWMBO does the rest). Love our rancher. One floor is hers, the other is MINE!
Should be playing with trains soon!
 
For anybody interested, it's amateur day here in North Carolina. I went to get my hair cut, and, for the third week in a row, the barber shop is closed. The streets are littered with the cars of people that can't drive in snow. Food Lion is open, with a total of 3 employees, if we really need food. I've also found I've gone through 150 gallons of fuel oil, and am now using my reserves to heat the house, with the next few nights in the single digits forecast.
 
Winter weather is definitely the topic of the day..... Here it is 7 F, and it is a good day for staying indoors. I should be working on trains later today.
 


Actually, leave the homasote and benchwork in place. It will eventually settle into a final state. Just have to relay the track without the kinks.

LOL! Oh LORDY not the table, heck no, just the track! This will be incarnation number four and a half at least! Some has never been changed since it was first laid but most has been moved quite a bit. That line is at the top of the ladder and was laid tight to begin with.

Any of you with more permanent set ups been affected by the cold snap we have all been having?
 
Here's what it's doing now.
Only noteworthy because it's rare here...
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 274
Not too shabby for the Carolinas! Looks like about what we got on a daily basis when I lived in Muskegon. It snowed pretty much all day every day from November till March, a light, small flaked, continuous MESS! Had a "snow hoe" to pull it off the roof or it would've crushed the house!
 
Goodness Gracious Grandma! All that white stuff on the ground is pretty to look at!
I'm just gonna enjoy the present 50 degrees with scattered rain showers all over and forecast heavy rain later on tonight. Heavy rain means there might be ONE inch or therebouts. High today expected of 69 they say.

TERRY - 150 gal of fuel oil? I think I would be out there chopping down some of those trees to help with the heating.
BTW - what's going on with your truck? You haven't said much about the outcome of negotiations with the dealer?

Started taking down the Christmas decor yesterday - MOH is out staying with her mom this weekend, so I am left to dis-assemble the house.
Think I will have another caffeine drink and think about it for awhile.
Have to go to an awards dinner later on this evening -- One of our good friends just down the road is being recognized for his work with the ELK's Club here.
He is the Grand POO-PA of the local chapter.

Later gang!
 
The dealer's two solutions to our problem were not what I would call acceptable. The first more so than the second. The first one sounded good, until I dug deeper into the deal. After all the double-talk, it involved them selling us another truck, and leaving this one there for the bank to repossess. At best, that would trash the credit rating I've been working for years to recover. Oh, the bank is the one we use for our daily personal business.
The second option is better, though still expensive. They are willing to charge me their cost for a replacement part, and installation labor at half price. While much more better, that still leaves me paying over $1300 out of pocket. I'll probably do that, but will need to pay some bills first. Like, the bill for the fuel oil I just ordered...
 
The dealer's two solutions to our problem were not what I would call acceptable. The first more so than the second. The first one sounded good, until I dug deeper into the deal. After all the double-talk, it involved them selling us another truck, and leaving this one there for the bank to repossess. At best, that would trash the credit rating I've been working for years to recover. Oh, the bank is the one we use for our daily personal business.
The second option is better, though still expensive. They are willing to charge me their cost for a replacement part, and installation labor at half price. While much more better, that still leaves me paying over $1300 out of pocket. I'll probably do that, but will need to pay some bills first. Like, the bill for the fuel oil I just ordered...

I'm sure that you know better than I do sitting way out here, but I think either option "stinks"! Is this a well-known respected dealer? Maybe has a reputation to uphold in the community? Have you consulted an attorney? How about small claims court? I don't know, but it seems to me that they did not properly inspect what they sold you. I just genuinely hate car dealing, trading, etc. - I always get the short end of any "deal"; and if they were any good to begin with .. the dealers would't need these multi million dollar service areas that are always full.
 
No question but one of the criteria for the next place I own will be the wood heating option for at least some if not all of the house!

Anybody heard from E? No news is bad news.
 
Good morning. We started off at -4 but have warmed (?) up to +20 with sunny skies. No snow, at least falling from the sky.

IMAG0983.jpg

My little tractor with the plow is under the green tarp behind the car. It is about at it's limit as I have pretty well run out of room to plow it to. Guess the heavy equipment will be coming out, but not this weekend. I want to work on trains.

Terry - You guys aren't used to snow. The best thing would be to hunker down and hope your heating oil gets delivered. About your truck, it looks like they are going to get into your wallet one way or the other. From the photos you posted earlier, It's hard to tell what's up. If the frame isn't bent, the real axle could be out of alignment or the rear end housing can be bent, causing with the castor of camber to be out. Possibly a complete rear end with the axle could be found in a salvage yard. ?????

Ken in VA
- Staying close to home is probably the best idea. Folks down there don't know how to deal with snow.

Time to head down to the train room, Later.
 
On the cool side, but sunny here in Wisconsin. The Mrs. opened al the side shades and drapes to let the sun shine in! She's taking down the Christmas décor for this year. Feeding the birds is her next project....we spend more on the birds than my model railroading! The little critters like the food during the cold winter days.

Still have a bad knee so the basement and train room is likely out of the question for today. So I'm on the forum and looking at U Tube HO videos. That snow down south is something else. Normal for snow fall here.

That's all.

Greg
 


I went up to the grocery store to get a few things. The milk cooler was almost empty. Same with the TP shelves. Lots of beer being restocked though.
Roads are very slick but not a lot of traffic. Snow/sand trucks are out in force.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top