Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. Raining and mild here in central MD.

... Ken in MD .... I like the E8's. ...
...Ken in Md - Nice looking E8 units, even without the horn. ...
...Ken (MD) - Sweet looking locomotive. Wish I could justify having one for my railroad. ...
...Ken- Nice job on the E7's. ...
...Ken. The E units look sweet guy! Can't wait to see em in person. ...
Thanks guys for the kind words, your making me blush!:o I don't have time to address every one of you because I need to get to bed shortly. Been staying up way too late these past few days.

...Say Ken: Your F units look very good,... I almost forgot to ask how that, 'Red Neck Worm gear was repaired?...
David, by "redneck" I was referring to the method of using cheap household materials to do the repair, not to the gear itself:D

Eric - I'm guessing the hospital is afraid some lawyer could use a photo [with you in the mask] as "evidence" in a malpractice lawsuit. Also, they may be worried about violating some HIPAA privacy rules.

Ken in VA - we all need a break sometimes, even from a "fun" hobby like this one!

* * *
Well, it looks like I'll be hosting another wedding in the not-too-distant future: Tonight, my 21yr-old daughter's boyfriend asked me for permission to marry her. Of course I gave him the "high green"! They were planning to drive back to Eastern Ohio on Saturday since the spring semester will be starting on Monday, but with the predicted widespread ice storm, I urged them to consider heading back on Friday instead. They said "Yeah...ok." I hope they didn't think I was just being paranoid, an ice-covered Interstate is something to be avoided at all costs!:eek:

Getting late, gotta run - g'nite!
 
Good late evening, Rail Benders & Spike Drivers,

Hello Francine how are you tonight? Where's Flo? over in the corner booth with Sherrel, I see.

The weather here was fairly cloudy today with some light rain till around 8:00 Pm and I had a real cloud burst for about 20 minutes and it still rained fairly well for a while after that.

Yesterdays rain fall was right at 2" bringing the total, not counting this evenings rain to 11.84".


Overcast and somewhat mild for January in Wisconsin. Tonight 4 degrees.
After lunch down to the train room. It's been awhile and I'm looking forward to several or more hours of fun and cleaning.
Furnace guy coming Friday for a check up...a little late for this heating season. The furnace is really close to the layout as well as the water heater. When the new water heater was installed, I forgot a loco was sitting on the tracks within elbow distance of the plumber installing the water heater. The plumber remarked about the loco and asked me what was it worth and I said the locomotive's original cost, a decoder and the four ditch lights brought the price up to around $400. The plumber said...."Nice model, move it so I don't accidently hit it to the floor".

Well, got to move the loco again today before Friday.

Thanks.

Greg


Greg: It was very good that the furnace guy was observant enough to point out the fact you left your Diesel Loco parked there and it was too close for comfort.




Morning, everyone. time for some coffee!! 50* and partly cloudy - heading for upper 60's today. the freezing rain event scheduled for Friday is on-again/off-again - I'll just have the portable generator fueled up and ready and logs ready for the fireplace. Just watching the weather now.

Say, Ray - that's some really nice-looking stonework on that abutment. Hope I can do as well when we get to points like that on our layout.
David - yes, a 45* in the corner is what is planned, and a curving scenery background on the wall there to remove the look of a corner.
Willie - I'm not going to get into a messiness competition with you - you guys will all have me beat! :) That Merchant's Row structure was just sitting at the edge of the benchwork drying after I glued some pieces in place. I'm out of room on my little modeling area, working on three structures at the same time. When the MR is done, I'll post another photo.

Okay, time for another cuppa joe. More later.
Johnny


Johnny: That good thinking on both situations. I've added inside corner fillers in a few spots with a rounded inside edge and it makes it looked a lot more finished off. I'm going to have at least 3 corners to fill myslef and I was thinking of using a semi rounded corner foam to take away from the corner look.


Checking In ... 52 with very light scattered rain showers expected today, then a little heavier rain expected tomorrow.
I guess the LA area is getting the most of the moisture today; it usually does most of the time.

BIL gets a dose of radiation daily (five days a week) for either the next 5 or 9 weeks - I forget which. He just turned 65 a few months ago. Nice, huh? You work till retirement - then get cancer! What a joy.
I'm off to my second doctor appointment this year with two more to go in January. Fortunately 3 of these are just followups.
I am ready to get off the carousel - had enough.


Sherrel: I'm very sure it gets very tiring to have to keep running back to see the Drs. as you say.


Good morning Everybody!

40 with 75% humidity here in southeast Baltimore, jeez it feels warm!

3702375893_6f6c49b246_z.jpg



Louis: That Coal drag seem to be decending quite a steep grade alright. I'd guesstimage it to be at least 6% if not 8% !?



Good evening. Raining and mild here in central MD.

Thanks guys for the kind words, your making me blush!:o I don't have time to address every one of you because I need to get to bed shortly. Been staying up way too late these past few days.

David, by "redneck" I was referring to the method of using cheap household materials to do the repair, not to the gear itself:D

Getting late, gotta run - g'nite!


Say Ken: I knew you were referring to the way the repair was done and not the worm gear. What I was interested to find out was how the repair was accomplished?



Hope all have a good day tomorrow.
 
Louis, Why bother with the NFL? I've been taught the history, and the strategy of the game, and in my younger days I made a pretty decent defensive lineman, but it never clicked with me. In baseball , I (and #2 son) were both switch hitters and I also pitched in a fast pitch softball league. (broke a finger barehanding a line drive hit back at me) Basketball? Boooooorrrrriiinnngggg! Now speed contests? That caught my fancy at a young age. Bikes, motorcycles,then cars. I'll admit it, I'm much more in tune with the smells of nitromethane and unburnt hydrocarbons than the smells of sweaty jock straps and shoulder pads. Some may attribute this to my upbringing (my Uncle was my next door neighbor and a mechanic) or the fact that I learned to drive young (tractors at 10, trucks at 13 on the farm) or as my sisters claim, I was dropped on my head as an infant. Who knows, maybe a combination? I prefer to subscribe to the Hemingway Theory,,,,

View attachment 60128

Your mileage may vary.

Karl I think you hot the nail on the head, it's in our upbringing. My family did not have a car until 1976, but sports was ingrained in me from before I can remember. Baseball, Football, Basketball and Boxing. The man who raised me watched every televised event and listened to sports on the radio when ever he could find a game. Chuck Thompson was family to me. I still do the same. My grandson falls asleep every night watching ESPN, no need for a night light.

When I was old enough to buy a car I quickly learned that racing creates a lot of work and I only enjoy turning wrenches for profit. Even though I did make a few dollars with my 65 Ford down at the old Circle Bar-B-Q. Nothing is more fun than a good ball game for me and Hemmingway is just a big blow hard to me. I'd like to see how he would have stood up to a chin high, inside 90+ mph fastball. He probably would have shot himself years sooner. A real competitor never gives up, like our man Big E!
d21a548adefd2a5e6804b3bfce16e404.jpg
 


Well.....I'm sitting here in supposedly 78deg/77% hum, at 9:06pm on Thursday night, under a fan that's blowing warm air down over me, in the barest of essentials, feeling rather sticky and itchy, so I think a cool shower is in order and a dry off under another fan, saves the towels anyway. 98f today and another 10 days forecast to stay up in that region. No trouble to move around, just slide. But then, that's what you guys are doing too, eh!
 
53 degrees in King George, VA this morning. That's a surprise. Forecast yesterday said it would only be 45. Think I'll ride the Harley to work this morning. Temps will be in the upper 60s this afternoon for the ride home.
Gotta stop by the VA and give them a blood sample for my upcoming physical. Have to fast for that one. Nothing since dinner last night.
 
Good Morning All. 64° and mostly cloudy right now. Third day in a row with stiff 20mph+ winds from the SE...usually means rain soon, supposedly tomorrow for four days straight. Spent a little time yesterday watching my neighbor attempt to get his tractor/disc out of the soft ground behind the train shed. He got stuck Tuesday despite me warning him that the ground was still too saturated in the area that he was going to disc up. I originally told him that the only way out would be to disconnect the disc and get the tractor out and go around behind and pull the disc out. No, he just went back and forth until he had ruts 12" deep! So yesterday he and another neighbor came back with a Ford N-9 tractor...I laughed. I have more horsepower in my garden tractor than an N-9. The other neighbor looked and said "no way". In the end, they disconnected the tractor and drove it around to the other side and pulled the disc out!
Speaking of the train shed, I only spent about an hour there yesterday, with all of the other goings on at the Santafewillie estate. I am now at the stage on three background structures to install window glass and signage for completion. Fourth one still needs some work. I have to sort through my carton of DPM stuff to see what I can still make, as I still have 8' of wall left.
Bruce -
Santafe- that is the scenario I would prefer, this may have been a false alarm but I'm taking it as a warning shot and I'm not going to wait for it to happen. It's the last straw! I should NOT be seeing random footprints "cruising" porches in my area! If my wife wants to stay married to me she better get on board with "EXIT, stage NORTH!" I've had it with this town, I'm outie!
I certainly am with you on moving out of town, that's the road that I took many years ago. But that layout is going to be tough to move from what I remember on your original build thread. Good luck with convincing your wife.
Eric -
Beats compared to below zero like the other day
Man, Acworth probably really sounds good right now. I'm not too high on cold weather. Maybe it will be soon as your progress continues to sound good. Hang in there.
Chet - I'm told that Social Security will be easier once I decide to pull that plug! Medicare itself was pretty easy, it is just all of the Obamacare BS that goes along with supplemental and prescription plans that takes its toll.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie
 
Good morning, 6 above zero. Getting use to it.

Was surprised with good this AM, we have a buyer for the house, they have 20% down and no contingent offer!

Enough of paying a house payment, apartment rent, and 2 utility bills. Hallelujah!!!!!

lasm
 
Looks like it was a busy night at the old shoppe!

Hemingway never impressed me, he always acted like he invented what ever he was into, weather it was fishing or war, bullfighting or philosophy. Him and Hunter S both talked a good game and quit when it got tough, PHOEY! My old Man rode out ALS right to the end, he coulda cooled himself many times before his strength left but he was a MAN!

31 degrees and rain , rain, rain. Sump is running in a CONTINUOUS mode! The water table is one thing but the ground slope does not help me at all.

Moving the layout would not be that big a deal. I've found I like building em as much as running on em! This was my first one and of course I screwed it up by going too fast and not researching enough because I was in a self imposed HURRY! Now I'm in the middle of planning the layout I should have built. I will not mind a bit getting this "half done" and leaving. I've never felt like I "live here" and could not put my finger on why. Now it is becoming clear. I'm not supposed to be living here. I need to be "back home", up north!
 


Good morning, 6 above zero. Getting use to it.

Was surprised with good this AM, we have a buyer for the house, they have 20% down and no contingent offer!

Enough of paying a house payment, apartment rent, and 2 utility bills. Hallelujah!!!!!

lasm

EXCELLENT! I could not imagine a house payment, we bought this one outright and taxes are bad enough! It's the way to go if you can swing it. Buy a foreclosure cheap and fix it up the way you want! Just don't buy one that is LITERALLY under water like my WIFE did!
 
Good morning. 7 degrees with about another 4" of snow overnight.

Willie - It is a lot easier with Medicare. Up here in Montana there isn't a lot of choice for providers of supplement plans, but I was able to get an excellent one. Glad that I don't have to deal with Obamacare. My son and daughter in law just can't afford it and chose to pay the penalty.

Ken in VA - You wouldn't even think of riding a Harley up here today. We may get up into the high teens later today. Have fun with your visit to the vampire.

Toot - Wanna split the difference with the temps?

Dave - Hope the house sale goes through alright. It will be a big burden off of you.

May as well post a couple of photos before I get to work.

Here is the Milwaukee Road box cab on display up in Harlowtown, MT. Probably roll by to see it every time I go there to visit relatives.

On display at Harlowtown, MT.jpg Sign in Harlowtown.jpg

Enjoy many hours riding in them when I was a kid.

Later.
 
How fast it goes! My Sons first day of college. Community college but still, never thought I'd see the day MY kid was going to college!

His autism is not going to keep him from doing what he wants, he thinks he wants to be an auto mechanic, so be it! I'M not going to tell him he can't! I'll support whatever he wants to do as long as it makes him happy! He needs quite a bit of catch up as it seems the HS "Special Needs" program just advanced em without merit or knowledge, as I suspected. They just shove em through and out to the world completely unprepared! He will be a year getting to where he should already be. Oh well, it's free.
 
EXCELLENT! I could not imagine a house payment, we bought this one outright and taxes are bad enough! It's the way to go if you can swing it. Buy a foreclosure cheap and fix it up the way you want! Just don't buy one that is LITERALLY under water like my WIFE did!

Hi New Guy,

I have built several houses also modernized up an Amish house. Now I am a worry free renter. Nothing stays the same around here.

Not sure how long I will be staying here so buying would not work in our favor.
 
Good morning.

NG ... Congratulations for you son having his first day at college.

Chet .... I like the photo. It is good to see historic locomotives preserved.
 
Ho Hum! Not much new around here. Another winter day of 54 to 60 degrees and overcast. Lots of rain up north of us .. always strange to me what a difference of 50-70 miles can make.

I'm getting killed with so many overcast days since Thanksgiving. The solar is only producing about 1/2 of our daily needs. Will have to depend on making up the shortfall during the Apr-Jun time period if not too far behind. July is my "base month" for the yearly Edison bill balance out.

I'll echo Garry;s comments to Bruce and Chet!

Back later on, maybe!
 
Good afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. I have some pics to share with y'all.
222c77015c7feb1e1d923785f52294a5.jpg

aa4459c91df1a5a0126d73be101dcdfc.jpg

Ran some trains this morning and figured I'd share some track side photos with y'all. I hope y'all enjoy.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
 
Good afternoon. 68° and sunny, this fantastic January day. Days like this don't happen very often in January.

Bruce: Great news, congratulations to your son.

Chet: Nice Box cab.

L&S: Hope things work out in your favor. sounds good.

Willie: Medicare is not a problem, I have a supplement through a major carrier, that covers all Medicare deductibles, and the 20% Medicare doesn't cover. Tad pricey, but no more than my share of Medicare, if I didn't have the supplement. I also have a separate Drug plan. I have found the so called Medicare Advantage plans, (Part C), only work if you never need to see a doctor. 'Bamacare, is expensive, unless you qualify for Medicaid.

I am making time for my layout, some days I just don't feel like crawling underneath to run wire, and that's holding up progress.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top