Running Bear's Coffee Shop LX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
This photo was taken during daylight. We are one mountain range west of Livingston and there isn't even a breeze here. Night has got to be the worst time to drive in the snow as far as I'm concerned as my night vision isn't what it used to be. The last two Fridays we had to drive home from bowling in near blizzard conditions.
 


Dang Chet, that interstate looks in bad shape! I'm stuck at home anyway. I'd love to get away for a few days. The seem to be in a foul mood with me all the time. At the least they both have suddenly gotten a really bad choice of words about around and about me out of the blue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
Yes, good price for Genesis. Be careful of the bearing caps on them. While I've never experienced it, some people say they come off the axle ends easily, and disappear.

Did I get an Athearn Genesis from you? Maybe the SF FP45?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
Good afternoon

just checking in. Our trip to Michigan is frigid.

YA! This is the part where we EARN our summer! It's not so bad as long as you remember it is not permanent.

Here's one for the experts, got a friend is working on a MRR project that is truly "YOOGE" LOL! Massive Ore Dock Action Mode!

He is looking for a DT 6-6-2000.

He saw one was sold a few years ago and it was brass and 1700 dollars, he does not really want one quite like that. I did not think it was beyond the forum, SOMEBODY would know about this interesting sounding engine.

He tells me there were less than a hundred produced and it was one of the first Diesel Transfer type and he's very interested in getting one.

I figured if anybody knew they would probably be on this forum.
 
RON That train looks scary! H BARBEL1 18A What does it mean?
H=High priority
Bar=Barstow Ca
Bel=Belen Nm
1=1through 10 when does it need to be there!
18=date of origination
A=? I dont know to be honest, i think its a symbol for the crew route.

This train used to be symboled as an M BarBel, M=manifest. For some reason the last year or so they have symboled them as H=High priority. The only thing i can think of is they are trying to get more contracts. Impress them with the "high priority" CRAP!
BOTTOM LINE I CALL THESE TRAINS A DOG "RUF RUF" because thats how you are treated on them! LOL
I love my job, i really do. HONESTLY!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chapter 3, I believe: Just found out over the weekend that daughter, Marine husband, TWO grandsons ages 1.5 and 2.5, and the daushund, Frankie will be arriving from N. CAR - landing just about the time I get out of surgery. IT HAS BEEN A LITTLE OVER A YEAR SINCE I HAVE SEEN THEM, AND IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SURPRISE. They did not know of my scheduled surgery, or of the MIL sickness. JOY, JOY ... It's going to be a Griswold Christmas for sure.

Marine, huh? So he's physically able to do everything that you might be asked to do, right?

Look what I found!

Pere Marquette 1225, The REAL Polar Express in Carland, MI, December 17, 2016.
50d700f95957292ecb239679bbd10bab.jpg

953a3038fcb83e026e430e6e895bcca5.jpg


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 


BEADY. Yes, Yes ... Let the Marine do it! ... Hoo rahhhh!

Great shots of the Polar Express there - lots of smoke, noise, and flying snow!

RON Thanks .. Makes some sence to me after all.
 
22 degrees in King George, VA. Stayed up late watching the Redskins season end. Running late this morning. Means I'll have to stay late at work.
 
Good morning everybody!

I did read through the posts, but no chance to respond to each one individually.

I just want to say thank you for all the kind words, you guys are the best!

Like my pilot buddy Sherrel pointed out "any landing you walk away from is a good landing" I don't see it as a bad thing that happened, I see it as a blessing that it was not much worse.

Also my wife was involved in an accident on I95 north of the fort McHenry tunnel on Saturday morning. That was why I was rushing out of the house. I foolishly had my smart phone in my right hand instead of holding onto the railing. I did not break my phone :) (Willie that is an example of being cheap, not frugal, more like being stupid!) and I did not make it to her to render assistance. I did manage to limp back into the house after the fall.

My wife pulled of a brilliant effort and only sustained minor damage to the left front of her car. The mustang next to her went under a trailer and it took off the top of the car. My wife was unhurt, thank God. The little lady spent 5 1/2 hours stuck on the highway as the untangled the mess.

There were accidents all over the interstates Saturday morning just before dawn, at least 2 people lost their lives. Many others critically injured. Hundreds of cars, trucks even fire trucks, police cars and ambulances were damaged, maybe more than a thousand all over the area.

The weather had changed in an instant. When I walked her to her car it was a light rain. When I rushed out of the house to go to her everything was covered in a slippery coating of ice, but looked wet, "black ice". The city streets were salted and in great condition, but my wife said she saw no signs of salt on the interstate.

We won't soon forget this day, but God was with us, it could have been much worse.

That's it for me, It's not very comfortable to sit at my desk yet and I need to rest on the couch to get ready to work later this morning. Don't worry, I won't cause any permanent damage. I can work through pain, it's nothing new and to be honest I am happy and thankful to be able to do it, Thank you God!

Thanks again for the kind words, God bless us Everyone. Happy Holidays! only a few more days to Christmas!

PS Bruce Feel free if you would like to come demonstrate how to fall on my brick steps, but wear a helmet. I am not going to practice, once was more than enough for me. I will never go down those steps in bad weather without holding on to the rail again.
 
Good Morning All. A bit warmer today at 23° and mostly cloudy. We get back to near normal today with a high in the mid-50's, maybe 70° on Christmas day. Hooray. I can hear with the right ear again now. The Costco hearing aid center replaced the "receiver", which is actually a wire from the hearing aid to the earbud. Not only that, but the lady also gave me some extra ones plus a tool for changing them myself...demonstrated it as well. She also gave me a bag full of other goodies, replacement ear pods, tiny speakers (1/16" diameter), cleaning tools etc., all because I told her I had to make an 80 mile round trip to see her! Did I say all of this was free? I recommend them (Costco) to anyone who needs hearing aids. But, this is also the second time that they had replaced that same "receiver".
Trainwise, I fiddled some more with track and turnouts attempting to get the look that I want. Temporarily out of flex-track after using 20 pieces of it. I have more but it is being used on a temporary freight car storage shelf as of now, but not later today. Cars will go on bare wood for a few days until I can get the new staging tracks fastened down. If I go with the present design, I get five visible staging tracks from 18-26 cars long, plus an industrial switching lead for some low-relief buildings along the wall, as well as a bit of scenery along the front edge. More than enough storage for the cars that are on the storage shelf right now. Of course I will first rehab some of the many pieces of track that I salvaged from the previous layout!!! Need to do this anyway to free up the new stuff for the remainder of the upper level. Not going back to the LHS until mid-January.

Bruce -
Falling, FREEZING, broke, broken, stuck, sick, lost but NOT lonely! What a crew!
We do seem to be a pretty motley crew (cue video Terry) here right now!!! I hope that everyone gets over their ailments, pet ailments, family ailments and other woes by Christmas.
Sherrel - Ah! Come on, don't be such a grinch...I know that's hard for you!!! LOL As Beady pointed out, now there is an extra hand on deck.
Terry - 30 miles away? From you? Might be worth it to go and intercept it!
Chet - Well heck! I hope that Santa comes here before going to your house and getting stuck!
Ron - Good price for Genesis models. Maybe you could get a 10+ discount to go along with it.
Garry - Stay warm.
Beady - Great pictures of the Pere Marquette 1225. Did you take them? Location appears to be a bit NW of you.
Louis - Really glad to hear that you and your wife are OK. Take Karl's advice and "Let's be careful out there."
Eric - Still thinking of you. Keep on truckin'.

Everybody have a great and safe day. Merry Christmas.

Willie
 
Good morning everybody!

I did read through the posts, but no chance to respond to each one individually.

I just want to say thank you for all the kind words, you guys are the best!

Like my pilot buddy Sherrel pointed out "any landing you walk away from is a good landing" I don't see it as a bad thing that happened, I see it as a blessing that it was not much worse.

Also my wife was involved in an accident on I95 north of the fort McHenry tunnel on Saturday morning. That was why I was rushing out of the house. I foolishly had my smart phone in my right hand instead of holding onto the railing. I did not break my phone :) (Willie that is an example of being cheap, not frugal, more like being stupid!) and I did not make it to her to render assistance. I did manage to limp back into the house after the fall.

My wife pulled of a brilliant effort and only sustained minor damage to the left front of her car. The mustang next to her went under a trailer and it took off the top of the car. My wife was unhurt, thank God. The little lady spent 5 1/2 hours stuck on the highway as the untangled the mess.

There were accidents all over the interstates Saturday morning just before dawn, at least 2 people lost their lives. Many others critically injured. Hundreds of cars, trucks even fire trucks, police cars and ambulances were damaged, maybe more than a thousand all over the area.

The weather had changed in an instant. When I walked her to her car it was a light rain. When I rushed out of the house to go to her everything was covered in a slippery coating of ice, but looked wet, "black ice". The city streets were salted and in great condition, but my wife said she saw no signs of salt on the interstate.

We won't soon forget this day, but God was with us, it could have been much worse.

That's it for me, It's not very comfortable to sit at my desk yet and I need to rest on the couch to get ready to work later this morning. Don't worry, I won't cause any permanent damage. I can work through pain, it's nothing new and to be honest I am happy and thankful to be able to do it, Thank you God!

Thanks again for the kind words, God bless us Everyone. Happy Holidays! only a few more days to Christmas!

PS Bruce Feel free if you would like to come demonstrate how to fall on my brick steps, but wear a helmet. I am not going to practice, once was more than enough for me. I will never go down those steps in bad weather without holding on to the rail again.

OMG Louis! Thank God she's OK, I've seen the videos from Saturday. Scary stuff! SWMBO was supposed to take her real estate license test Saturday in Bmore. Luckily it was cancelled, now scheduled for New Years eve.
 
OMG Louis! Thank God she's OK, I've seen the videos from Saturday. Scary stuff! SWMBO was supposed to take her real estate license test Saturday in Bmore. Luckily it was cancelled, now scheduled for New Years eve.

That's not necessarily a comforting thought depending on the time of day. From folks who can't drive due to weather to folks who can't drive due to inebriation.

Willie
 
9 degrees out there and I'm once again very pleased to be retired and not having to go out in it every day anymore. Y'all have my sympathies if you must venture forth.
 


Good morning. Ready for a cup. 57.gif We're having a heat wave starting the day off at 26 degrees. Warmer than Ken has it down in Virginia. Relief is on the way.

Louis - Sorry to hear about your wife's accident but happy she's alright. Hope you're feeling better also.

Beady - Excellent photos. Wow.

Sherrel - Great news that your daughter and her family are coming to visit for the holidays.

Terry - Hoping your package arrives this year. Good luck.

Eric - Hope you're feeling well. The winds subsided and they finally opened the interstate yesterday afternoon.

Time to get a little work done.

Later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top