Running Bear's August 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
After moving to my mom's house in the next city over, I went from 8gbps Google Fiber (now known as GFiber), to 300 mbps Xfinity cable, that was not that great, and for where my desk is in the basement, had terrible connection to the upstairs access point.

Today the GFiber guy complete the installation I had here. Only 1gbps as being unemployed, I don't want to afford more, but it's a big step up. Also using my much newer and better Linksys access point/router, I have a much faster and better connection to the internet, finally... Unfortunately my left over roll of CAT 6A wire is in storage and not accessible. I may buy a 100' piece of CAT 5 or CAT 6 as I want to lay a hardwired line from the router to my desk area. Need it for the printers but also it is much faster than the wifi in the cluttered basement.

Tring to finish moving stuff around and get settled as I want to set up my test track and get back to my software for DCC. I wanted to have a beta for people this summer but this whole move thing the last several months put a wrench in those plans.
 
Since I turn 62 next month, I wanted to get my SS benefits going. I sent the US Embassy Federal Benefits Unit (USE-FBU - should be a new tv show) an email in May and told them I wanted to start pulling in October. They responded and told me to wait for a phone interview. I then told them that I wanted my wife to get hers as well and the response was that they'd take care of both of us in the phone interview. Since I don't live with my phone and usually miss all of them, I asked if they could give me a heads up as to when they'd call. No response. I sent two more emails with no response, so I called. After almost an hour of waiting, I finally get to talk to someone. That was AUG 18. She told me that it may take a few months for the phone interview, so I asked to include my house phone since that had an answering machine (couldn't figure out how to enable on the iphone).

Then, while on my throne yesterday, the 20th, I hear my iphone going off. I quickly pinch it off, get the paperwork done, and quickly grab the phone with my cleaner hand. Well, it was the embassy wanting to set up the interview. While talking to her, I'm trying to wash my other hand and I guess she heard it and asked if I was busy - haha. So I schedule it for this morning and we completed it.

Glad it is over and set up. What a pain in the arse. Moral of the story - I guess it's he who whines the most gets the most attention... haha

edit: gotta lern how to spel moral
 
Last edited:


The moral of the story is to always be doing inconvenient things when you need something important done. They'll be sure to call you or come by during that inconvenient time.
Is that the goal? So...perhaps you get credit for putting out effort?
Or is the way to avoid doing the inconvenient things when THEY need something important done?

For my part...I lose my car keys...a lot. My car battery dies if I leave the lights on...or simply leave the key forward (todays problem...I didn't back it out and take it out. I Meh.) She was not pleased (my sister).

I sometimes misplace my cell phone (worst device EVER invented, IMO. Because women assume they can always call you and you will answer).
 
Last edited:
Yeah, that's pretty good. Neat fusion of east and west, old and new. The singers don't sound like their noses are plugged and sound like they can actually carry a tune. And they don't have 48-60 of them looking the same and making noise. As you can tell, I don't like j-pop, anymore.
 
Yeah, that's pretty good. Neat fusion of east and west, old and new. The singers don't sound like their noses are plugged and sound like they can actually carry a tune. And they don't have 48-60 of them looking the same and making noise. As you can tell, I don't like j-pop, anymore.
There is always electronic music too (I won't call it techo-pop because it dates the latter by forty years).

 


1787302434064.png
1787302454867.png


Good Friday morning, Coffee Shop! It's 63F (17°C) and partly cloudy. :cool:

Have a great day! ;)
1787302522065.png
 
Delving into n-scale Kato steamer DCC and seeing what I can do. Since I had some spare tenders for C62, it would be no loss in trying. With this one model, it has been going well. Decoder fits with an adapter and found a spot for the speaker. I think it may all fit. This is just a DCC decoder, which is 17mm long. The sound decoder is 25mm.
TENDER PARTS W DECODER.JPG


I found a spot for a 15x11 speaker.
TENDER TOP CLEARANCED.JPG


Set it up with my testing rig and it sound pretty good. Wish I could upload the mp4 file. Was trying to find a way to embed sound into a gif, but the one site I found was a fail.
TENDER SOUND TEST.JPG
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps and poopers

It's troy again.

that darn supplement the chiro sold me has Magnesium citrate in it. I use Mag L-Threonate for the brain boost. and citrate kind makes me ummmmm need to be near the toilet more often. And use a lot of paper cleaning the mess.

so, I'm backing off those, and keeping my L-threonate going. My body is used to that. It doesn't have as profound effect on loosening the muscles, but it also doesn't loosen the stool either.

Today is the start of week 4 dealing with the piriformis issue. Past episodes show this is where I start to see some marked improvements. I'd like to back off the Nsaids. We'll see if that holds to form this cycle.

Speaking of Japan: Wife has her semi-weekly call with a retired co-worker from our time in Los Angeles. A Japanese-American couple. She's of Hawaiian Japanese descent. He immigrated as a 10 year old with his family (from Nagasaki). He's got the dry humour of an Engineer (worked on the Space Shuttle program), and she's a bubbly outgoing person. My wife's personality is in between theirs.

We visit them whenever we're in Vegas (where they retired to)... And they are fascinated by culture outside of their ancestral Asian-American variety. So my wife plans on sharing my own family history of being descended from an Amish Bishop!

I told her she could send some of my Amish picture generations to her for illustration. Here's one I just did of me if they ever let me behind the reins of a buggy.
Buggy 1.jpg
 
Good morning all!

Happy Friday!

Another beautiful northern Illinois day today. Currently its 58F with the sun coming up.. Highs are supposed to hit around 81F. Humidity is
starting to build a bit but still should be fairly decent to be outside to do some things. There is a slight chance of afternoon showers between
5-8pm.

Have some laundry to get done today and a few errands to run later. Other than that no big plans for today.

Hard to believe my daughters first week of school will be over today. This year seems like it will fly by like last year did.

Have a safe day everyone!
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top