Running Bear's August 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I turn 62 next month, I wanted to get my SS benefits going. I sent the US Embassy Federal Benefits Unit (USE-FBU - should be a new tv show) an email in May and told them I wanted to start pulling in October. They responded and told me to wait for a phone interview. I then told them that I wanted my wife to get hers as well and the response was that they'd take care of both of us in the phone interview. Since I don't live with my phone and usually miss all of them, I asked if they could give me a heads up as to when they'd call. No response. I sent two more emails with no response, so I called. After almost an hour of waiting, I finally get to talk to someone. That was AUG 18. She told me that it may take a few months for the phone interview, so I asked to include my house phone since that had an answering machine (couldn't figure out how to enable on the iphone).

Then, while on my throne yesterday, the 20th, I hear my iphone going off. I quickly pinch it off, get the paperwork done, and quickly grab the phone with my cleaner hand. Well, it was the embassy wanting to set up the interview. While talking to her, I'm trying to wash my other hand and I guess she heard it and asked if I was busy - haha. So I schedule it for this morning and we completed it.

Glad it is over and set up. What a pain in the arse. Moral of the story - I guess it's he who whines the most gets the most attention... haha

edit: gotta lern how to spel moral
There must be different requirements for citizens living outside the US. I did all my stuff online and never talked to a soul. One nice thing: They backdate your first check to your date of eligibility once all the hoops have been jumped through.
 
There must be different requirements for citizens living outside the US. I did all my stuff online and never talked to a soul. One nice thing: They backdate your first check to your date of eligibility once all the hoops have been jumped through.
Yeah, the embassy takes care of everything out here. My buddys out here told me that if I had filled out the form on the SSA website, I'd still have to do the embassy thing, so instead of making my wife go through the BS process of getting an ID.me account to get into the SSA website like I had to, I went directly to the source.

When I asked what info she'd need during the interview, the funny thing she told me was that the husbands were always worried about remembering the marriage date. I got with my wife and we got the story straight! haha

The interviewer told me the same. The first check may be a bit late, but I'd get backpay. Oh well, less trains to buy until then, I guess :)
 
Please welcome our fauna to your state.
The nine-banded armadillo is the "Small State Mammal" in Texas. The Longhorn is the "Big State Mammal". We also have a "Flying State Mammal" as well, the Mexican free-tailed bat, which sometimes overwhelms the Austin area. I believe that Tom O's son has made a fortune relocating bats in Austin.
Not meaning to contradict Michael, but Armadillos would rather eat termites, beetles, grubs and ants; especially fire-ants. At least here in the Lone Star State. I currently have a family of them living under the collapsed floor of my tornado-ravaged barn. Another odd fact, is that the mother always gives birth to identical quadruplets.
Young ones are quite cute, from 2017.View attachment 272362
And yes, they are quite blind.
Here's the mama of that one, picture taken 5 months earlier after she got too destructive in the garden.
View attachment 272364
They need to be coaxed into the trap by setting 2"x 8" boards in a V-shaped trough to direct then into the trap. You cannot bait the trap, since they only eat what they dig up themselves.
Yes the son has done extremely well relocating bats and raccoons in Austin and the school systems in Central Texas. He has only relocated 1 Armadillo per a text exchange this morning. Says he sees them all the time on campus like Baylor and Texas State in San Marcos. They are poor sighted and rarely cause issues other than they are wild animals and people over react.
 


Yeah, the embassy takes care of everything out here. My buddys out here told me that if I had filled out the form on the SSA website, I'd still have to do the embassy thing, so instead of making my wife go through the BS process of getting an ID.me account to get into the SSA website like I had to, I went directly to the source.

When I asked what info she'd need during the interview, the funny thing she told me was that the husbands were always worried about remembering the marriage date. I got with my wife and we got the story straight! haha

The interviewer told me the same. The first check may be a bit late, but I'd get backpay. Oh well, less trains to buy until then, I guess :)
How can you forget the date of a marriage? Heck I remember the date of my 1st date with my wife and the dates of 2 other firsts
 
Good Morning All!
55F @ 44% looks pretty clear - nice stars!

Forum looks to be clicking right along. Great!

Was gonna go to Spo to our special butcher for KC Bacon and links. Decided to wait until next month for those. So, off to Kal for HD, CostCo, probably Albertson's. HD for more 12/2 as Maria started telling me what she would need in the Chick/Goat house in addition to the stuff she told me already. Ya, well - potential power problems. So we are gonna pull the current 12/2 and Pex out and strap on another 12/2 then poke it back in to make sure we have enough power out there.

We have another fire ~45 miles from us, kinda NorthEast of Happy's Inn. Deer Creek Fire ~601 acres, 0 contained as of yesterday. Skillet fire still active ~3300 acres, yesterday 82% contained. Spokane fires look to be out so that is a good thing. There are a couple of small/tiny grass fires though.

L8r
 
Good Morning All! 62 in the Brew City this AM, going to 77. Gotta mow this morning before it rains. Sheesh! I'm back to twice a week! Not my favorite thing but what do you do? 🤷‍♀️ My trip up north got cancelled. A B!ues festival up there turned a $75 a night hotel room into a $215 a night room. Bunch of thieves! The son is coming down here with the grandkids instead, so all is not lost. It''ll be a busy happily exhausting weekend! The first club meeting as Treasurer went well enough. Still picking my way through paperwork, and probably will be for a month. Enjoy your Friday and your weekend. I'll probably be a little scarce again! :)
 
Good morning. 62f degrees now 80 later. Rain and hopefully heavy is supposed to arrive by 9 and begone by noon.

Heading up to Baraboo to work some scenery at the layout work session today. Crew went from 6 to to 3 in a span of 4 text messages at 5:15 this morning. I always forget to put the privacy thing on my phone at bedtime. One of the guys is in the hospital and he’s the driver for another crew member. Down 2! Then a text later one other guy said family issues for his excuse! That’s the third…

The trip to Hiawatha Hobbies went well and I was within the payment I was expecting. Lunch was a different story. An absolutely wonderful meal and service on Peewauke Lake but I did a double take on the final bill but it seemed worth it.

The son and I have been texting since 5:30. He has crews on 3 jobs working early to avoid the heat of Central Texas. They will knock off at 11am before it hits the predicted 105f. Because of the heat he now doubles a needed crew and they work 6-7 hour days usually done by noon. It’s built into the $$$ proposal and it’s worked well for him the last few years. Usually this is normal practice from 5/1 till mid October. His August used to be the slowest and hottest months but that has changed to keep jobs moving this experiment about 6 years ago worked well, now it’s normal. He is one of the few full time remedial companies in Central Texas. He does a tremendous amount of netting work for bats and birds. He loves it and has a really good staff

May the forum flow on!
 
I used to sell bat and bird work also. Bat guano remediation was very profitable. Bird netting was BIG bucks especially at tech/manufacturing & wood processing companies that had pigeon issues. One of the last jobs I sold was installing shock track around the overhang of a 10 story retirement center. The residents didn't like the pigeon droppings while they were out on the balconies. My techs were much braver than I. There is no way I would be up that high on a lift.

image000000.jpg
 
Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 79° to start the morning. Expecting 107° for the next 5 days, just like yesterday. Then the high is expected to drop to 102° for a while. At least that's a downward trend.

Yesterdays grocery trek went well, with an extra surprise when we made our last stop at the local pharmacy on the way home. It was customer appreciation day with free BBQ sandwiches for all. We both opted for the pulled pork. Pepper Belly BBQ is a local BBQ food trailer whose motto is "Need No Teef, To Eat My Beef". We have visited this food trailer for lunch before. It's located about 2 blocks from the local HS and does a thriving business during the school year. The road re-construction crews are still in the area as well, both the state highway that he's on and IH35 a mile west. He isn't always open and closes early some days (10a-2p are posted hours) due to either heat or running out of food.
Some lifting this morning, as I unload firewood from the cart, to reload it with the chlorine out of the car. Didn't get around to topping off the pool yesterday, so that will be done ASAP in order for the filter to continue working. Not sure about the rest of the day yet.

Some more piddling around out in the train shed yesterday. I did brown and black paint on some figures and resolved my truck crisis on the newest Athearn gondola. I have pictures, but they won't download right now because the battery in the camera needs re-charging. I have another small project that I am working on, which I won't reveal until I see if it's going to work. It involves some of the figures that I posted a few days ago.

Troy - Is that just a Beer Barrel Pizza thing, or do they slice pizza like that everywhere in Indiana?
Kevin - Good luck at the train show this weekend.
David (Marlon) -
Aren't these also the only non-human leprosy vector?
No, Chimps can carry it as well. But infection from Armadillos is rare and is limited to folks who either handle or eat wild ones.

Guitarist James Burton is 87 today. He was a pioneer in the last century, his first gig was playing the lead guitar on the infamous song "Suzie Q". He was then Rick Nelson's lead guitarist for 11 years followed by an 8 year stint with Elvis Presley. After that it was with John Denver, Emmylou Harris and many others as a session musician. Singer Jackie DeShannon is 85; Glenn Hughes, bassist/vocalist for Trapeze, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple is 74 and Steve Smith, drummer for Journey is 72. The late Kenny Rogers was born on this day in 1938.

Everyone have a fabulous Friday.
 


Is that just a Beer Barrel Pizza thing, or do they slice pizza like that everywhere in Indiana?
Around here it depends on where you go. 2 of our favorite pizza joints do it differently. One slices it in triangles and the other cuts in in squares.

The one we use for carry-out and delivery doesn't cut it at all. You slice it at home so its your discretion. My wife and daughter prefer triangles and I like it cut in squares.
 
Troy - Is that just a Beer Barrel Pizza thing, or do they slice pizza like that everywhere in Indiana?
I've watched one video that says it originated in Chicago.

The idea was that pubs would dish up a thin crust pie, cut it in squares and pass a piece at a time out to patrons as appetizers to sell more beer. The idea being one small piece fit on a handheld napkin, and was small enough to encourage more drinking without breaking the bank.

Beer Barrel is a Michigan chain that is kinda Chicago, kinda Detroit style for deep dish.

My fav pizza, that is carry out only, and about 1.5 hours away, Volcano Pizza in Elkhart IN, does the Square - but only one cut down the center in the second direction. Gives us long strips of pizza. Frankly, that's part of the charm, but I would enjoy it if it were triangles or squares.

Here in Fort Wayne, it's mostly just Pizza King and Beer Barrel. We don't get the thin crust from Giordano's (Chicago based with locations slowly growing out from Chi Town) so I don't remember if they do squares on the thin crust?
 
Learn something new everyday.

I had no idea Armadillos were even in Illinois, so i had to look.

Here is the overview:

Armadillos are not native to Illinois, but they have been moving in from the south and are expanding their range northward over the last several decades. Nine-banded armadillo sightings have been documented in southern Illinois since 1979, and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources is tracking recent sightings in the northern edge-expansion counties.

Overview of Armadillos in Illinois​

Armadillos are not originally from Illinois, but they have been gradually expanding their range northward from southern states. The nine-banded armadillo is the species that has been documented in Illinois.

History of Sightings​

  • First Documented Sightings: Armadillos were first reported in southern Illinois in 1979.
  • Current Range: As of now, they are found in nearly half of Illinois, with sightings extending as far north as Sangamon County.

They're coming for you!
 
Good morning, all! H=Hot, Humidity and Houston.

On this date in 1946 the number one song was “To Each His Own” — Eddy Howard
It is also the birthday of
Wilt Chamberlain, Count Basie, Kenny Rogers, Archie Griffin, Kim Cattrall
Usain Bolt, Jackie DeShannon and .......... wait for it ............. Texas Hobo.
Not so long ago I thought 80 was old. Now that I have arrived, I may have to adjust my thinking. 90?
I think we are going to our favorite Tex-Mex eatery for fajitas and sopapillas. This plan is contingent on the lawn guy showing up early.

Maybe some train time later.


STAY SAFE (don't eat the lit candles)
LATER
 
82°F/69°F out there at 1200. First time in a dozen days the dewpoint has been below 70°F. Still have the A/C off and the windows open and I hope it lasts for a few more days. Sunday is supposed to be spectacular, we will see.

Nothing going on today. Got the front yard cut yesterday so I'm all caught up.

No beetles, fire ants, or termites on the menu at my place. If they come here to eat all they get are grubs and worms.

Have a great Friday!

Servus!

Happy Birthday Texas Hobo!
 
Last edited:
Good afternoon gang!

I snuck downstairs today and fired up the PC. So much easier to read the forum on a large screen instead of on my phone!

The foot is improving, hope to get back to work sometime next week. I have an appointment with the wound care center Tuesday, hopefully after that??

Happy Birthday Hughie!

BBL
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top