Running Bear's August 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Friday, I wanted to get some ground beef, but as with all Fridays, the best buy date was Friday and I don't cook until the weekend. I know it is best buy, but my wife thinks it is the thing comes to life and starts moving on its own day. So, I bought two packages of what looked like extra trimmings. Said round steak on it and it looked fine and was way cheaper than the ground beef. Fried it with onions, SPG, and italian seasoning and put it in a potato casserole with some jack cheese, heavy cream and smokey paprika. Man, that was better than I thought it would be. Tasted like steak, so I will be buying that cheap stuff more often for other dishes. Might be lips and a@@holes, but it was good.
 
Is that for the water scoop in the tender? I didn't know they did that in the US. I only heard about it in the UK when I noticed that elephant trunk dangling under the tender.
No often on two track lines there would be a water tank on one side and a column between the tracks so a locomotive could just swing the spout to either track to fill a tender. Much like a faucet that can swing between the sinks on either side.
 
Here you go
1787107951772.png
 

Attachments

  • 1787107904873.png
    1787107904873.png
    357.2 KB · Views: 12


Taking a bit of a break inside right now.
I'm happy to hear that! :D

@kbkchooch How was it going back up the stairs from the basement?

Ive been busy with MLB. The Dog Days of August will often separate the contenders from the pretenders.

Now back to the Replay of the Cardinals @ Cincinnati, this has been fun series to watch!

Holy mackerel Andy! it's time for work; baseball will have to wait until I get back home.

Have a great day Everybody!
 
I just got a DM from a brand new user, responding to my "wanted" ad in the For Sale forum. He wanted to let me know he knew a guy at a Gmail email address that just happened to have what I needed, and was a very honest guy. And he also took Zelle...
 


Well, howdy there internet peeps and Ruskie Bots

It's Troy again

Up without Breakfast, so Bill's pics are just a tease.

have to go see the vampire today for the annual wellness blood draw. Because wife works for a very large medical lab company, we get all the extras on wellness checks. It will be 8 tubes this time.

So, no food or coffee until after the draw. But I'm still taking my tylenol. Ugh.... another 4 weeks of dealing with this sciatica if the last few times are an indicator.

Got to see the wacky side of chiropractic care yesterday. the doc tried using some kinesiology methods to help find out what mineral and supplements I might need. It was him measuring how hard I could push back against his grip. He'd alternate laying a vial of some minerals on my abdomen, then have me push again with my arm.

He ended up strongly suggesting I take some supplements. Co Q 10 (available anywhere, and it was on my list to ask my GP about), and a different type of magnesium (he recommended mag-citrate with calcium, and I've been taking mag L-threonate without calcium).

Came home, asked Claude about it:

I want to be straightforward with you here rather than soften it: applied kinesiology muscle testing, including the vial-on-abdomen version, has not held up under controlled scientific testing. When studies control for practitioner expectation and patient blinding (i.e., the practitioner doesn't know what's in the vial, or the patient doesn't either), the "muscle weakening" response doesn't reliably correlate with what substance is actually present. It's generally regarded by the broader medical and even much of the chiropractic community as unsupported by evidence — this is a different thing entirely from the soft-tissue/trigger point work his practice page described, and different from standard orthopedic tests (like true resisted strength testing for a specific nerve root, which is a legitimate diagnostic tool that also involves you pressing against resistance, just without the vials).

Claude said there were no contra-indications with the bottle of supplements he sold me to my current meds, and the supplement of Mag Citrate and Calcium is common for my gender/age group.

Another appointment tomorrow. We'll chat about the Kinesiology methods. If he thinks I need supplements, we can discuss without the silly methodology.

Another hour and I'll go shower, then go get the donuts 🍩 and coffee for consuming in the parking lot, right after the blood draw. That's my reward for being good and not cussing when the phlebotomist stick a needle in me. :p :cool: Plus, I want some food in the belly when I take the morning med.
 
I just received notification from Paypal that my dead wife had gotten a $28 refund from Amazon through her closed Paypal account which will be deposited into her closed bank account over the Prime subscription class action lawsuit she had joined nearly 5 years ago.
 
Got back from the eye doc. They did dilate my eye, just to take a picture and we did nothing with it after. I think they just like doing it or something. We discussed the 1 week hospital stay and what I needed to bring. Wife will have to stay with me after the surgery on Saturday, just in case I have issues. We'll be in a two man room, which I will be in for 3 days. Then I opted for the hotel room vice what they call "obeya". I kept hearing that and I told my wife I wanted the hotel room as I ain't wearin' no dang mask and I will be watching my youztube channels without any headphones. "Obeya" is "large room" in a literal translation. No thanks, I am done with open bay barracks with all the snoring, farting, and yakking (probably from me anyway). I haven't stayed in one since I made E5... haha

Got lucky and had a seat on the train on the long runs. I also saw this soba/udon shop at the local train station that we had to transfer at. I haven't seen one of these is decades. I can understand why it was empty as it was too hot to eat hot stuff like that.
SOBA UDON SHOP.jpeg
 
Good Morning All. Clear and 79°, maybe 107° today, after just 106° yesterday.

1787140098623.png


Not a lot of change coming up. That's 34 non-consecutive days since July 8 of triple-digit highs. Twice at 110°. Of course the Extreme Heat Warning continues. While I doubt that we'll break the record of 71 days from 2011, we're close to halfway there. Compare that with 2017 or 2021, when there were 0 days. Maybe 1 in 2021 nearby.

Once again, limited outdoor activity yesterday, but I did do some mowing over the septic tank area and used the push mower for about 10 minutes around the Propane tank. Filled the Hummingbird feeders and took a load out to the dumpster.
Today won't be much different. I think that my wife has a small project or two for me inside, probably moving furniture so she can clean something.

More of the same out in the train shed yesterday. Painted flesh tones on about a dozen figures, 3 different colors for variety. Added a couple more vehicles to a parking lot on the layout; and ran a few more trains. Yesterday was two locals and three through mixed freights from end to end. I also installed another ground throw in downtown Gainesville, thus completing the last one (of seventeen) in that town. Just never got around to it. Next, I will blend the ground cover in around it. Still haven't decided on my next major project will be, so I'll just keep crossing little ones off the list.

Michael -
I turned in at 2300 and thought I would sleep until 0800 after yesterday's furniture moving. Up at 0550,
Have you lost your diesel alarm clock???
Kevin - I spotted the dino also.
Kusojiji - At the grocery stores near me, a whole chuck roast on sale is usually considerably less than ground beef. So I regularly make my own for the freezer.
Terry - The time and effort to recover that $28, will probably cost far more than the actual $$$.

Everyone have a wonderful Wednesday.
 
Good morning folks, 87 here today, heading for 97. The next weeks forecast is til for mid90s but that is much better than the triple digits we were seeing. Willie, be careful in these temps. Kuso, are those menus on the sides of the kiosk? Prayers up for many others of you, your friendship here is a very nice thing. Last night we were looking for a small table or desk for the train porch, it will be mostly for painting and I am planning on a short HO and N test track on a board for testing and decodering [?] DCC stuff.
We got fed up with Optimum last night, so we are dropping their cable stuff and just keeping their internet. They are continually raising the prices, when we got this months bill it was a $45 jump. The internet is still reasonable and reliable, so we are keeping it, but they can do whatever they want with the cable boxes on their return. I doubt they would appreciate any storage suggestions I might offer.
On a good note, we are starting the Fall Semester of the Bible Class at Church tonight. Excellent course, but a lot of work.
Gonna copy this as cloudflake is quite obnoxious this AM.
 
Good morning all!

Was on earlier but the forum was being a bit combative!

Another pretty nice day in store now that the fog has burned off.. Currently its 72F under mostly sunny skies. High temps are going
up around 81F. A few scatered rain showers possible tonigh between 7-9pm. We were supposed to have the same last nigh but it all
went north of us towards Wisconsin.

Already have a couple of loads of laundry going.

Not much else going on at the moment. This week is the calm before my daughters volleyball season cranks up next week and we will
have 2-3 games per week thru first part of November.

Have a safe day everyone!
 
We got fed up with Optimum last night, so we are dropping their cable stuff and just keeping their internet. They are continually raising the prices, when we got this months bill it was a $45 jump.
We ditched our cable several years ago. Comcast would give you a great rate for a year, then you would get a huge bill. We then had to spend
45 miniutes on the phone with them to negociate a better rate. This went on for years till we just dumped them. It helped that our town got wired
for fiber so we could also ditch their internet. Nice thing about fiber was we locked in a rate for life. So far after 3 years it hasn't gone up. We have a couple of streaming services which made it much cheaper in the long run.
 
Good morning gang!

Woke up at 5:30 this morning with the wife had French toast, sticks and sausage with my coffee. Reviewed a few texts from last night and this morning.
Try to get on the forum right after that and the ones unable. Kept trying again also on between Facebook and other post finally at 11 o’clock it let me in. Just wonderful.

Going to try for another excursion down the basement after lunch. Nicely going up the steps is not that hard it’s going down or I’m having a little more difficulty.

BBL
 


Gremlins are highly active today

Survived the vampire trip. 9 tubes total. The vein clotted up on tube 7 so I got both arms stuck.

I got smart and stopped at the Amish Donut place and had half-a-dozen chocolate frosted morsels of delectable treats waiting for me. Ate one in the parking lot and started getting the caffeine levels up with a Dr Pepper zero.

Then I had another donut when I got home. Put the rest in the freezer.

An hour later, when I took off the tape and cotton, I heard another donut calling out from the frigid temps. So I ate it too.
mmmmmm.jpg


The other three will just have to wait until later this week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top