Running Bear's August 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.


Good evening folks, had a really nice day. First a good morning at Church, my Great Nephew Lucas made sure of his Salvation least week, so he got baptized this morning. Then grabbed a sandwich and headed for the Train Show. Got there and wound up running trains for 2 1/2 hours there. The track had gotten pretty dirty so DCC wasn't working right, so I grabbed my DC trains and ran them. The New Mexico Rail Runner consist was really popular, visually it is very eye-catching. And ran a little Athearn 2-6-0 with some Sheel tank cars, that little beast just ran really slow and beautifully, the siderod action was so easy to see that a lot of folks really enjoyed. And teardown of TTrak is delightful, it is so easy.
Anyway got home and relaxed, had a nice salad for dinner and now relaxing again. I'll unload the car tomorrow.
You guys have a nice evening.
 
G'morn. We had some hellacious rain last night from 1900-2000. I don't know how much water came down, but it was flowing pretty good out of my carport's downspouts and down the street. Glad that these gutters are clear as the slope is pretty good to keep stuff flowing.

View attachment 272485


We also had a pretty good earthquake last night at 0200. The phone started screaming and then it hit. Pretty neat map showing the intensity and affected areas. Was a 5.8 at the epicenter and around 3 at our area.
View attachment 272486

I'll go take a look outside to see if anything fell over.
Yeah my SisIL was saying they felt it in Kanagawa (Yokohama). I guess in that area it was 3 something as well.
 
Good Monday morning, Coffee Shop! It's 55F (13°C) and clear. :cool:
1787559955237.png
1787559912416.png



Have a great day! ;)
1787560036900.png
 
good morning

iam back at work... but i had two good weeks of vacation. and i had some time for my layouts.
so i will update you in the specific threads.

wish you all a good start for the week!
btw. this week its WORLDS week! Disc Golf Worlds this year is held in the State of Michigan.

Cheers
Marco
 


Good morning all!

Monday, Monday........

Our great weather stretch continues again for today. Currently its a crisp 54F with a light breeze out the NW. High for today is going to
be a very comfortable 78F. A few degrees warmer than yesterday.

Usual stuff around the house this morning.

Have a safe day everyone!
 
Like my neighbor 103 miles to the south of me it’s crispy at 52f degrees heading to 78. Definitely moved a bit quicker on the walk this morning.

Sleep pattern is all messed up. Bed at midnight tossing and turning till 2:47 when I looked at the clock. Then awake at 5:40

Enjoy the day
 
Morning all,

71° and mostly clear, high of 94° later.

Decent enough weekend. Still can't seem to get enough time to get stuff done lately. Work has been getting busier and busier, including getting into stuff I don't know that I want to be a part of going forward. Getting to be way more than I want to know at this stage of my working life.

Karl: Glad to hear you're getting better.
 
Good Morning All. Currently clear and 81°, heading for a high today of 109°. But we're expecting a cold front on Thursday at just 98°!!!

1787572509684.png

At least that's what the weekend crew at the NWS has left us with this morning. Won't bring out the blue jeans yet though. That won't happen until late-November or early-December. It did reach 109° here for a couple of hours yesterday. It's been a warm summer for us. We normally count the 100°+ days; this year we're counting the 105°+ days!😰
Currently its a crisp 54F with a light breeze out the NW.
If I saw temperatures like that in August, it would actually be the end of the world and I would be in heaven. Heck! We rarely see anything below 78° in August.

The usual Sunday around here yesterday, Mass, bed linen laundry and Chicken Parmesan for supper. Made homemade spaghetti sauce from Tomatoes that I canned in 2024. I miss that this year, but keeping the Tomatoes going this summer would have been an exercise in futility. We did get some fresh ones for about two months though. Trees everywhere are losing their leaves from the drought.
Today starts with the dishwasher. Maybe a little light outdoor activity with the weedeater this morning.

Spent a little time out in the train shed yesterday afternoon. Made a test-pour of clear gloss coat in a different plastic swimming pool on Saturday, which came out OK, so I made two pours in the real model yesterday. So far it's looking good. Spent a little time combing the layout for falling figures and uprighting them. As I may have posted a few weeks ago, the Woodland Scenics "Scenic Accent Glue" that I had originally used 10-12 years ago seems to be giving way now, and I am using Aleenes Tacky Glue or Elmer's White Glue now. In the process of looking the layout over, I have found some damage that appears to have been caused by the loose kitten who was trapped in there a few weeks ago. Nothing major and all repairable, but some in less than advantageous spots that will require some patience to fix.

Tom O - Your friend is really dangling temptation out there with the Foss River trestle.;)

Today is the 88th birthday of composer/guitarist/ and sometime singer, Mason Williams (Classical Gas). He was also a comedy writer with The Smothers Brothers, Glen Campbell and Saturday Night Live. He originated the "Pat Paulsen for President" series of sketches for the Smothers Brothers and discovered Steve Martin.
Also 88 today is David Freiberg, bassist/singer for Quicksilver Messenger Service and Jefferson Starship, and briefly the Jefferson Airplane.

Everybody have a great Monday.
 
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those wondering where all the food inspectors are. Salmonella in eggs and poultry are the latest scare.

It's Troy again

Just returned from the monday trip to the grocery. Only Cage Free eggs were in stock following the latest recall. Not sure if that was because of the recall directly or if was panic purchasing?

Woke up at 3am for the pee run... wife wanted to sleep with the windows open, so we did. No, I didn't pee out the window. But when I returned to bed, I smelled skunk. Seemed to be coming in from the front side.

Since I had a fan in the back window, blowing out to make a cross breeze, I flipped the fan around. Skunk smell had dissipated by the time I took my shower at 6.

With the current schedule of taking Nsaids for the sciatica pain, the 5am Tylenol push is when the pain from laying in bed is the worst. I soooo want to do some writing at that time. But the brain is too focussed on not being in pain that I can't sit anywhere long enough to type.

8am seems to be when I'm loose enough and the Nsaids are working well enough to sit at the desk. Before then, it's stretching, laying on the heating pad, then more feet up on the couch while laying supine on the floor, staring at the ceiling for five minutes. That usually calms the nerves enough that I can do some more stretches.
 
Where is everyone??? If I have no issues logging on, then the forum must be operating well.
Karl -

Did you wear your shoes?
Good Morning All!
54F @ 59% cloudy with some drips.

Yesterday: After my post, I had to run to Ponderay for parts for the new faucet. ACE here didn't have squat, so HD. Got back noonish and started on the project.

You know how when the refer breaks, so does the stove? Had the sink pulled so I could get the old off faucet, put new on. While connecting the water lines going in, I heard the well pump running. No biggie I thought, then it came on again in 4ish minutes. Asked Maria if any water was on anywhere - nope. So I pulled the plate to get into the basement ( dungeon ) and found about 6 inches of standing water with what sounded like a water fall or rapids. Joy, got down the ladder for a better look-see and found that the HW tank was spewing water from behind it. Climbed out and turned the well pump and HW off at the breaker box. Pump was not running anymore, but water was still running - pressure tank. Realized I could reach the HW shut off from the bottom of the ladder and did so. Did not want to wade as I do not have any insulated boots and was not sure if any 120/240V things were in the water; sure breaker(s) are supposed to trip, did not want to test that theory. So deal with that later. Went back to faucet realizing I could test the cold water side and turned the pump back on. Ya, water spewing from inside the faucet cover where water is mixed and channeled to the water spout that is not removable. I now have a swear barrel - as a jar just won't do it with 2 people adding. Requested a refund for the faucet as it was defective. Maria happened to look back into the dungeon and noticed the water had gone down 2 to 3 inches. We had no idea of where it went until we thought about it. Dungeon is maybe 20' x 20' with cinder block on concrete floor so it probably went out what ever low side. Got things somewhat put back together with counter moved back over the dungeon hole, then went to the local watering hole and cried in my beer for an hour or so. Could not do anything yesterday - Sunday.

So, this morning ima gonna put the sink back without faucet and connect the DW to the cold line. Have you looked at the cost of HW heaters lately? We have a whole house tankless that has been waiting, so off to the Propane Co to see how many $$$ we get to throw away putting in maybe 10 feet of gas pipe with 1 tee, 3 elbows. I have done a lot of Galvi but am not comfortable with gas; besides it will have to be tested for leaks and such; gonna see what they say. Will also start the HW removal process which for most is pretty easy. Us on the other hand - will need to pump all the water from the WH ( if any ) so we can lift it up the dungeon ladder without a crane. Gonna need some help for that process, so more $$$. St00pid WH is 9 years old.

Also, remember us seeing that Bear? Welp, found out that MT FWP is not trapping them and relocating as there are too many. They guess that 10 to 20 are coming in our area at different times - all sizes - too dry in the upper elevations for berries and other foods to grow/bloom. There are endless garbage cans, pet food dishes, small animals within easy reach where people are. Big Cats too. So boom. WinMag is ready sitting by the back door. And on top of that, nobody is saying anything about having a piece strapped to your side, even bars, casino's or lounges.

Welcome to wild and wooly Montana!

L8r
 
59°F out there this morning. I had to put on sweats to take the dog out...and a jacket too. Expecting 83°F at 1600.

It's going to be another outstanding day here, and yep, Autumn is right around the corner by 28 days. Kids are already in school around here. Neighborhood has been pleasantly quiet for the last week with many more days to come.

Nothing going on here today except enjoying this weather while it lasts.

Have a great week.

Servus!
 
Morning All! 58 in the Brew City this morning, going to 75. Summer is on the way out the door, and the trees in this neck of the woods will begin to change soon. The son and grandchildren hit the road at around 4 PM yesterday afternoon, and the collapse into the Lat-Z Boys went as predicted! They are so much fun and they tucker us out so completely! A great time was had by all. No bench time of course, though we did get the grandson to the club and let him run a train. The NCE Dogbone was a little much for his small hands, and more than a little intimidating I think, but he was wowed by the layout and the experience. I followed that up with a test of the new Commute coaches, a diner and the lounge. These cars make a great looking train if I do say so myself!


 


Morning all,

71° and mostly clear, high of 94° later.

Decent enough weekend. Still can't seem to get enough time to get stuff done lately. Work has been getting busier and busier, including getting into stuff I don't know that I want to be a part of going forward. Getting to be way more than I want to know at this stage of my working life.

Karl: Glad to hear you're getting better.
Sounds like the “time” is getting closer. Maybe consult for the City on the side?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top