Running Bear's August 2026 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon, all! What can I say, Hot & Humid. I only went out for a couple of quick and easy jobs, chlorine for the septic system and a new filter on the well. Lawn guy came, so tard now looks respectable. Good thing, no HOA.

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes.
Willie - Used Woodland Scenic Water on my last layout. It's good, but you get a lot more than that pool. On this layout I used clear acrylic caulk.
Justin - Good luck with new job. Sounds like a plus for you.
Mikey - Take it slow and easy. My last fall required stitches.
TomO - Seems all wives want to rush us off to the doctor, and of course we all hate going to doctors.

Currently trains are running beside me. A coal train, a mixed freight and a switcher working the refinery.

STAY SAFE (and upright)
LLATER
 


1700 and temp is 82°F/67°F and continues to fall. I can't remember a nicer day in late August than today. As a bonus, we get another one even better tomorrow. I might even have to put on long pants.

I guess I better get up from here if I want to have some left over bar-b-q chicken. Have a great evening.
 
Well howdy there internet coffee shop dwellers and returnees

It's Troy again

went to the game store today for a planned game - despite my sciatica flare-up... and the crud that is going around took out my opponent before he arrived. But I had arrived by the time I discovered I was solo.

So I chatted with some friends, then headed home. Took the wife out for lunch at Penn Station. I got the .... Pizza Sandwich!

Back home, I chatted with Claude about the Canadian ancestry and purchased a couple of books online that list the religious marriage, birth, and baptisms for the part of Ontario my family was in. Nothing was discovered, which I suspected. But there were a few people listed in the indexes with the right surnames. So I did the due diligence the IRCC requires. I can now include PDFs of the pages to show they're not the right faith (Lutheran, not Amish-Mennonite) and the birth years were close, but not identical.

In other news, it's fend for yourself tonight. So I had to wrangle some raw veggies and interogate them under high heat with coconut oil and ghee.
Pop1.jpg


That little torture device works well.

pop2.jpg


And the salt-delivery-vehicles were well popped
pop3.jpg


Popcorn grown right down the road from where my wife grew up.
 
G'morn. We had some hellacious rain last night from 1900-2000. I don't know how much water came down, but it was flowing pretty good out of my carport's downspouts and down the street. Glad that these gutters are clear as the slope is pretty good to keep stuff flowing.

HARD RAIN.jpg



We also had a pretty good earthquake last night at 0200. The phone started screaming and then it hit. Pretty neat map showing the intensity and affected areas. Was a 5.8 at the epicenter and around 3 at our area.
EARTHQUAKE.jpg


I'll go take a look outside to see if anything fell over.
 
Well howdy there internet coffee shop dwellers and returnees

It's Troy again

went to the game store today for a planned game - despite my sciatica flare-up... and the crud that is going around took out my opponent before he arrived. But I had arrived by the time I discovered I was solo.

So I chatted with some friends, then headed home. Took the wife out for lunch at Penn Station. I got the .... Pizza Sandwich!

Back home, I chatted with Claude about the Canadian ancestry and purchased a couple of books online that list the religious marriage, birth, and baptisms for the part of Ontario my family was in. Nothing was discovered, which I suspected. But there were a few people listed in the indexes with the right surnames. So I did the due diligence the IRCC requires. I can now include PDFs of the pages to show they're not the right faith (Lutheran, not Amish-Mennonite) and the birth years were close, but not identical.

In other news, it's fend for yourself tonight. So I had to wrangle some raw veggies and interogate them under high heat with coconut oil and ghee.
View attachment 272479

That little torture device works well.

View attachment 272480

And the salt-delivery-vehicles were well poppedView attachment 272481

Popcorn grown right down the road from where my wife grew up.
Orville Reddenbach popcorn???
 


Thanks. All is well here and I haven't heard much about damage. I guess I'll find out around lunch time when I see JN tv. Toured around the house and nothing happened. Foundation holding strong. Have to remember to put a 1 day delay in my automatic water timer as they got enough water last night and today is not too sunny.

The Japanese tv learned a new word - guerilla. Guerilla rain is being overused and for me, is starting to mean nothing. For me, guerilla was used for warfare, attacks that are random. I guess that could be used with the weather guessers as they don't know when the next rain will come...
 
They had what they called Sicilian pizza. It was square, cut in squares. Thick crust with cheese topping.
In Trenton, NJ, they make Tomato Pies. Rectangular made on a baking sheet, crust is slightly thicker than a Pizza, made with thick tomato paste topped with thin sliced tomatoes.

BTW, what part of NC will you be heading to
Onslow County, just outside of Jacksonville, but with a Jacksonville PO address.
 
Finally successful at making something similar to cacio epepe. I did a mix of Willie, Ethan Chlebowski, and America's Test Kitchen. I made some starch water and heated it until it made a jelly. When cooled a bit, mixed it up with the pecorino romano cheese and black pepper in a blender. Boiled my pasta. Used the rest of my rotini since my wife didn't like it as it looked like worms.

While the pasta was cooking, heated up a big pyrex bowl with hot water. Once pasta was done, emptied the bowl and added the pasta. Added half of the cheese and started mixing. Added the rest of the cheese and mixed until it was all incorporated.

I had the pasta water standing by in case I needed it, but didn't ended up not using it. Came out pretty good. First time I didn't get a big blob of cheese that mostly got stuck to the bottom of the pan. Don't really know what this is supposed to taste like, but I like what I ended up with.
 
Just rewatched "Ike: Countdown to D-Day." Tom Selleck as Dwight Eisenhower. I had seen it before, but it had been a while too.
Good stuff, reasonably accurate (the book "The Supreme Commander"--Steven Ambrose--
lays it all out in much more depth and detail), but for a two hour film this did a good job, IMO, as did Selleck and his supporting cast. His Gen. Beadle Smith was particularly good, as Ike's closest supporter.
I would highly recommend the book if you haven't read it and are at all interested in the history. Ambrose screwed up elsewhere, but got it largely right here, IMO.
Worth my evening's time anyway.
 
Last edited:
Remar as Bradley? Hard for me to get Carl Mauldin out of my mind for Bradley haha. Going to have to check this out.
Yeah, I get the Carl Malden version. Patton was a very good film.
The one thing about Patton that's hard to cast is that he was said to have a high-tenor-voice. Not "squeaky" really, but high pitched. Whether or not that added to his aura of urgency is something on which I can only speculate.
 


Good early morning or late night at 12:23am in Wisconsin.

I had a discussion with my friend about his layout this evening. I’ve built 3 of his bridges with this latest pony truss bridge.
IMG_8640.jpeg
He is working on the abutments and I started the weathering this afternoon and then again after the UW Women Volleyball 3 sets to none win against #7 ranked Louisville. The Badgers are ranked 6th and lost to #4 Kentucky last night. 8 freshmen on a team of 15!

My friend asked if I was interested in building bridge scene #4! Instead of hiding a small 3 turned helix he now wants to expose the top turn and create a trestle bridge!!! I didn’t say yes or no but asked for info

It would be a representation of the Great Northern/BNSF Foss River railroad bridge east of Skykomish on Stevens Pass, built in 1901 on a curve with elevation! Perfect for an exposed portion of a helix. 624’ in real life measurement or 7.16’ on a layout
IMG_8340.jpeg




The plan for this Friday is to lay the helix tracks. He said exposing the top turn can be adjusted easily. He’s a retired mechanical engineer so based on past performance I believe him! He says the adjustment will be done for Friday’s every other week work session. We alternate 2 sessions soon to be 3 layouts on Fridays.

The helix turns are 42” radius!


IMG_8339.jpeg
IMG_8338.jpeg
IMG_8337.webp
IMG_8336.png
This would be a time consuming mostly scratch/semi scratch build. I looked around briefly, the steel trestle kits from Micro Engineering are not correct and the girders from Central Valley Model Works are too high compared to the protype’s. Based on my method of time management for projects conservatively it’s a 340 hour scratch build. 260 hours if kitbashing. If I were to say yes I couldn’t start until 4/2027.

I went to the library of Congress and was hoping for prints but the current regime has cut funding and the approval to access thevarchives can’t happen till Monday

I need to think really hard on this one. Gemini says build using ME and the Central Velly parts because it’s a representation not an exact model. ChatGPT says it would be easier scratch building it in sections on the bench and a more exact representation
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top