Reversing loop turnout help?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


outlawflies

New Member
I have a narrow N scale shelf layout I am building. Due the narrow width I am using reversing loops. I hooked it up and the engine runs great until it comes back to the turnout, it just stops dead. I am still a newbie and can't figure out the problem. I am using Atlas code 80 and have insulated jointers on the return side of the turnout (where it stops). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very frustrated with this project!
Thanks,
Bill
 
I think you're having a polarity problem with your return loop (if I read your post correctly), assuming you're running DC (as opposed to DCC). Correctly wiring reverse loops has always intimidated me, so I've avoided using them on my previous layouts.

However, it certainly can be done, they just have to be wired correctly. I know reverse loop wiring has been covered in model railroad magazines and books, and I'm sure the information could be found online. Maybe try a Google search for model railroad reverse loop wiring.

Hope this helps and good luck.

PLE
 


It's simple really.

If you were to place a metal object across the rails at any point you would not be surprised to find that you had shorted out the power, would you?

See attached.

Look at the color of the rails at the purple dots representing the insulated rail joiners.

Notice that you have different color (polarity) rails on each side of the insulated rail joiners.

And when the engine tries to cross that joiner it connects the a red rail to a black and you have a short - which naturally stops the train.

Make sense?
 

Attachments

  • Reverse Loop.png
    Reverse Loop.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 269
@outlawflies:

If you can provide a diagram of your loop (even a pen-and-paper rough sketch will help) I think you'll find you get more specific/helpful info. Based on what you've said, all I could offer is "Yeah, your reverse loop is somehow messed up"... With a diagram, I could probably give you much more useful advice...

My pure 100% guess based on what you said is this: You said you have insulated joiners on the "return side of the turnout"... You would need insulated joiners on BOTH sides of the turnout. The reversing loop must be completely isolated. Then it must either have a toggle switch to change polarity OR an 'auto-reverse' mechanism. This is just my guess. And it depends on if you're using DC or DCC...
 
The drawing posted by fcwilt is not a functioning reversing leg. It would require insulated joiners at both the entry and exit points of that teardrop loop to function as a reverse loop, and, both the isolated loop AND the mainline need to be able to be reversed via a DPDT switch between them and the power controller..

Never said it was - I was explaining why what he had done, as described in his first post, behaved as it did.

I wanted him to understand the problem first.

Solutions without understanding often lead to problems down the road.

And some solutions are better the others.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stoker,
I finally got some DPDT switches, wired it up like your diagram, Bingo!! Works great. I can't thank you enough! Thanks to everyone who helped me through my dilemma! Now maybe I can make some progress!
- Bill
 
Stoker,
I finally got some DPDT switches, wired it up like your diagram, Bingo!! Works great. I can't thank you enough! Thanks to everyone who helped me through my dilemma! Now maybe I can make some progress!
- Bill

Congrats!

FWIW, I consider nearly the #1 reason to go DCC being the ability to just whip an auto-reverser onto a reverse loop and let 'er rip with no further ado. Slap a tortoise and hare on the turnout for the loop and now you really have auto-pilot and can just drive the trains... I know, I know... baby steps...
 
Congrats!

FWIW, I consider nearly the #1 reason to go DCC being the ability to just whip an auto-reverser onto a reverse loop and let 'er rip with no further ado. Slap a tortoise and hare on the turnout for the loop and now you really have auto-pilot and can just drive the trains... I know, I know... baby steps...

I would love to have DCC, but unfortunately I just can't afford it. Some day!
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top