railroad "game"

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Sorry, KWalker, but partially wrong answer. It was the PRR but it was in 1903 in Bells Mills (East Altoona), PA. The bonus points answer is Japan.

Q. Which mainline railroad in the US became the first to fully dieselize and in what year?
 


Q: my question from before. The 1970 merger into BN was made up of what big railroads?

A: Great Northern, Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy, and the Spokane, Portland and Seattle. The BN also acquired the Frisco (St. Louis-San Francisco) in 1980 so those were the four major railraods that made up the BN before the BNSF was created in 1996.
 
Q. Which mainline railroad in the US became the first to fully dieselize and in what year?


Incorrect and not even close.


Bad misconception alot of folks have about the SRR because of the wiki and other sites that don't check their facts.

BTW it was the GM&O, 1947.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
CJ, very close, but still not correct. It's a class 1 road but don't think the big ones.

Funny Jim, the references I have from the GM&OHS and a couple of hardbacks about the RR, (one of which is GM&O North), all state the GM&O was the first Class 1 to be completely dieselized.:confused:
 
CJ, the GM&O was the first "big" class 1 to go all diesel in 1947 but the first of any class 1 lines was the Detroit & Mackinac Ry in 1946. I know, just barely a class 1 but a class 1 nonetheless.
 


Q.: What railroad ran the first Roadrailers, what year, and between what two cities?
I'm stumped. I know the first roadrailers were earlier than the eighties, but the first I can think of is the BN.
 
CJ, the GM&O was the first "big" class 1 to go all diesel in 1947 but the first of any class 1 lines was the Detroit & Mackinac Ry in 1946. I know, just barely a class 1 but a class 1 nonetheless.

Interesting! I did not know that! I've always read the GM&O was the first! I've also read that the D&M was considered a Class 2, due to its seasonal revenues.
 
CJ, that's what I meant by barely a class 1. The ARA went back and forth on their classification for most of the D&M's existence but it was a class 1 in 1946.

Nobody knows the roadrailer answer?
 
Nobody knows the roadrailer answer?

I'll take a wild guess. NYC, 1968, NY City-Chicago :rolleyes:.

Jim;

I was also under the impression that the ARA only did class reassessments every 5 years, and in 1945 due to WWII winding down, several RR's lost their Class 1 ratings and wouldn't be "reclassed", as it were, until 1950??:confused::confused:
 
CJ, correct, the war is what made the D&M a class 1 because of the total tonnage hauled during those years. By 1950, the D&M was back down to a class II.

Believe it or not, the first roadrailer was in 1959, run by the Chesapeake and Ohio, from Grand Rapids and Traverse City.
 
Q: The Denver & Rio Grande Western ran a named train between Denver and Craig. What was the name of this train?
 
Correct! It was the Yampa Valley, probably the least known name train in the US. Now it's your turn for a question. :)
 


Wow, I took a guess. Let's see...
Q: Which railroad bought the most locomotives at one time, what was the model, and how many were built, And when?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top