"POLL" What DCC System do you prefer?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Which DCC Set Do You USE/Prefer

  • Atlas Commander

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bachmann E-Z Command Walk Around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bachmann Dynamis

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CVP EasyDCC

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lenz LV101

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lenz LV102

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lenz Set-90

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NCE Power One

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NCE PH-10

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uhlenbrock

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESU

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roco

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zimo

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    48
  • Poll closed .
Gee this is getting to be fun ;)
Ah! in answer to your question, "I have absolutely no idea" :o I'll have to wait for Alcomotive to answer that one he got me the info :rolleyes:

Over to you Alco

Cheers
Willis

I ABSOLUTELY APPOLIGIZE! I forgot to add those to the list BUT they are listed for comparisons on the links. I am not sure if we can add or edit the poll now that it has started? Again I am sorry by no means do I want to exclude any one from participating.:(:oForgive me!
 
I ABSOLUTELY APPOLIGIZE! ~ Forgive me!

Ah! heck, no apology necessary, I found out there's a limited editing function to polls. Hopefully every one is covered.
kbkchooch; Ok, I hate to sound picky, but what if I "use" an PH Pro at home, and a PH Pro at the club, along with a PH Pro at the local "Wednesday night gang" and then, pray tell, Ken gets going with regular op sessions at his place and I use Digitrax there...........see where this is going???
I'm soooooooooo confused!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's see the criteria for the vote is which system do you Use OR Prefer
No need to be confused "Which system do you prefer?" When you decide vote for it

I just knew this would be so much fun :mad:

Cheers
Willis :D
 
Super Chief in the beginning and Super Chief now. Has handled both small and very large Op Sessions without problem. Integrates easily with other manufacturers' products, including computer software. Love Loconet communications.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I have ran almost every type of system there. I voted Super Cheif because of its easy expandability. The others simply arent that compatible with other systems. Had I run an ESU system I would have voted because they have a greater expandability than the Super Cheif.
 
Question for NCE guys: What's the difference between a Power Pro and a PH Pro :confused:
Ken, I assume you mean PH Pro and proCab?

Mainly Amperage (more Power!) The Powercab is a 2 amp system, capable of running a few trains. The Procab comes in 5 and 10 amp versions for even more fun!
One other feature of the Power cab that isnt widely known, If the club you belong to has a ProCab system, and you have a PowerCab system at home, you can use your PowerCab as a ProCab on the club layout.
The only drawback is that PowerCabs, as a stand alone home unit dont lend themselves to being walk around throttles , as the "brains" of the system are in the controller, where as the ProCab is in the unit, not the throttle. But with the power to only run a small layout (2, maybe 3 trains at once) walkaround my not be a consideration.
Everything else is pretty much the same!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Question for NCE guys: What's the difference between a Power Pro and a PH Pro :confused:

Ken, I assume you mean PH Pro and proCab?
...
Actually, I think he did mean Power Pro and PH Pro, because they are both listed in the poll options(as well as the PowerCab). I think these are just two names for the same thing, in fact, if you go to the NCE website and download the manual for the PH pro, in the manual it refers to it as the Power Pro system.
 


Gee this is getting to be fun ;)
Ah! in answer to your question, "I have absolutely no idea" :o I'll have to wait for Alcomotive to answer that one he got me the info :rolleyes:

Over to you Alco

Cheers
Willis

I guess all that rant and he never voted....:rolleyes:
 
Where are the systems from Zimo, Roco, ESU, and Uhlenbrock? You should, at the very least, have a selection for "Other." Also, why is the radio version of the Power House Pro listed seperately, but not for Digitrax? One more question, what is an "NCE Power One?"

I guess all that rant and he never voted.... :rolleyes:
 
Where are the systems from Zimo, Roco, ESU, and Uhlenbrock? You should, at the very least, have a selection for "Other." Also, why is the radio version of the Power House Pro listed seperately, but not for Digitrax? One more question, what is an "NCE Power One?"

I guess all that rant and he never voted.... :rolleyes:

That's because I was trying to decide which to vote for: Zephyr or Super Chief. I USE a Zephyr, but I PREFER a Super Chief. When I decided to get a new DCC System(I was using a MRC Comand 2000, hey, that's another one you left off), I wanted a Super Chief, but money was tight so I got a Zephyr, knowing that if I ever do get a Super Chief I can still use the Zephyr as a booster and throttle. The Zephyr is so capable that I may not ever get a Super Chief, so I guess I will vote for the Zephyr
 
OK gents I have no opinion on any of these systems; I'm actually seeking information. I currently do not own a DCC system but I am looking to purchase one in the near future. I would like your suggestions concerning user friendliness, dependability and cost.
I have three children ages 4, 7 and 9. My son who is the oldest will most likely use the system on a daily basis. Please offer your suggestions and supporting information. Thanks in advance. Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.....
 
The easiest for kids to use? No doubt, it is the Bachmann E-Z Command. It runs just like a power pack, it's cheap and bulletproof, and it's easy to select any of nine engines to run. If you mainly want the DCC for the kids to run, you can't go wrong spending $60 or so on an E-Z Command.
 
Actually I bought the E-Z command as my first DCC unit a few years ago and found it to be not very user friendly and limited...NCE powercab was much easier to use.
 
Actually I bought the E-Z command as my first DCC unit a few years ago and found it to be not very user friendly and limited...NCE powercab was much easier to use.

Mr. Kruger, You mentioned that the EZ Command system has limitations. What are the limitations? Also please explain the user friendliness of the NCE system as compared to the Bachman EZ Command system. What can I expect to pay for a NCE system?

Thanks....
 
Mr Kruger !?!???? :eek: no Mr. Kruger around here sharecropper!!
The limitations, as far as I remember...it wasn't handheld or usable with a single-hand, it had limited power and as I seem to remember it required multiple button-pushes to switch between locos. I also found it far easier to learn the different functions, from programmeing locos,cvs etc far easier on the NCE system...it seemed more intuitive to me.

Cheers
GENE :D
 


There are a number of limitations to the EZ Command system. It is what I currently have, but is a decent way to start out until you have a better grasp on what you want to live with for years.

You are limited to single digit addresses for locos, and a total of 10 locos max.
You cannot modify any CV's
You cannot access all functions
You can use multiple throttles
You can add a booster for more power
You can add a sort of walk around

All in all it is a very basic system, but does work well and allow you to learn some DCC fundamentals.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top